PDA

View Full Version : 1985 daytona turbo z t tops getting ic

1of585ttopz
02-12-2007, 08:07 PM
i am begining to restore my moms first car (she paid for by herself) it is a 85 t top z which we believe to be the last of the 6 promo cars{ due to info obtained} but i think im gonna switch the trans to a 5 speed and change the turbo 1 eng out for my 89 turbo 2 any ideas any help is appreciated. i will need some body parts esp a nice front facia for the 84 -86 z all inwo is welcomed and thanks again i will document this restoration and who knows maybe someday we will all see this car on the site or in the shows.

85shelbycharger
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Where are you located? There is a Turbo Z in a junkyard near here with a pretty mint front end and all other body panels.

85shelbycharger
02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Here's a picture of it:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/11k.jpg

CDNTurboZ
02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
i am begining to restore my moms first car (she paid for by herself) it is a 85 t top z which we believe to be the last of the 6 promo cars{ due to info obtained} but i think im gonna switch the trans to a 5 speed and change the turbo 1 eng out for my 89 turbo 2 any ideas any help is appreciated. i will need some body parts esp a nice front facia for the 84 -86 z all inwo is welcomed and thanks again i will document this restoration and who knows maybe someday we will all see this car on the site or in the shows.

I thought there were only 5 prototypes?

Also a little bit of interesting info, the red 86 t-top turboz in the of the 86 daytona brochure is actually one of the 5 black 85 prototype cars. I remember talking about this with an owner of one of these 5 on the daytonaperformance yahoo group. They supposedly used red paint that would wash off.

I am wondering if the 5 prototypes are included in the total t-top production # of 391 in 85....

Another thought, I wonder if you could have taken your hard top 84, 85, 86, etc daytona down to cars and concepts and got the conversion done after the fact.

1of585ttopz
02-12-2007, 08:33 PM
i live in east tennesse and that front is nice also when we special ordered the car in 85 the car arrived with a washable red over spray on it i also recieved a signed brocheure with what was suppose to be my moms car on the front .funy hugh also i thought for the last 10 years the same thing about only being 5 but a few has told me that they were 6 but i havent any documentation on the 6th or fantom car as it is.but i remember my dad who was a auto painter being soo pissed about the red overspray at first when we picked up the car, plus it took over a year for us to get it due to a truckers strike at the time. the tag on the car at the time was $18,600.00 which i still have sticker ... thats alot for a car in the 80's

CDNTurboZ
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
i live in east tennesse and that front is nice also when we special ordered the car in 85 the car arrived with a washable red over spray on it i also recieved a signed brocheure with what was suppose to be my moms car on the front .funy hugh

So you're the one with the 85 t-top thats in the 86 brochure then:)

1of585ttopz
02-12-2007, 08:37 PM
well everything seems to point that way but were trying to research more into it do you know any groups like phs or anything?

1of585ttopz
02-12-2007, 08:42 PM
the car was manufactured before mid year 85 and it came with the direct connection ground effects and we bought the car due to a crappy issue with a brand new caravan. my dad worked for chrysler as a painter at one time and knew the factory rep. so after a bit of hell raising this guy showed dad the 85 t top turbo z
he ok it and it took about 14 mths to arrive .it was at the dealers for 2 mths before they called us.and actually my dads buddy called him and told him it had been there that long already . so here is my pissed off dad at the dealership to pick uop a car that was over due then he saw the red over spray lol
it was an event.

1of585ttopz
02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
heres another bit of interesting info .we were told buy a chrysler rep who was an --- .that they werent allowed to sale the promo cars due to the t tops not being approved at the time.but still researching validity.

Anonymous_User
02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
but i think im gonna switch the trans to a 5 speed and change the turbo 1 eng out for my 89 turbo 2 any ideas any help is appreciated

Tranny swap:

Get a 5-speed parts car parked next to yours. Swap parts as needed. Its the easiest way to do it the first time so you don't forget how everything goes.

Engine swap:

Converting to a blowthrough setup is the best thing you can do. The conversion is straight forward and simple. The wiring is easy to do, just follow the directions precisely.

Another good idea is a 4-wheel disc brake swap. It is so much better than the disc/drum stock setup.

1of585ttopz
02-12-2007, 08:53 PM
cool i have an 89 shelby 5 speed parked right next to it . i would like to buy a new harness for it though if anyone still makes them .and i do agree with the 4 disc .thanks

puppet
02-12-2007, 09:52 PM
If the car turns out to be what you think it is ... don't swap anything.

cordes
02-12-2007, 10:52 PM
If the car turns out to be what you think it is ... don't swap anything.

+1. Spend a couple hundred bucks and get a beater that you can cut up and mod. It's your car, but if it were me, I would not modify a car with the potential to be that rare once confirmed.

DC Turismo
02-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Exactly.

Leave it as is. Don't swap a thing. I never heard of these cars but if what you say is true that there were only 6 then that would be why! You will ruin if by swapping factory settings.

1of585ttopz
02-13-2007, 04:16 AM
well the thing about the swap is the eng and trans in the car now isnt origional and i have a complete 89 shelby just sitting here with a bad front clip. plus either way the car will stay in the family till death so value really isnt a factor. and the only mod would be engine and trany change with the ic set up and a 5 speed console.cosmetically it will stay the same just faster and better brakes.
thanks guys for the input.

85shelbycharger
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
well the thing about the swap is the eng and trans in the car now isnt origional and i have a complete 89 shelby just sitting here with a bad front clip. plus either way the car will stay in the family till death so value really isnt a factor. and the only mod would be engine and trany change with the ic set up and a 5 speed console.cosmetically it will stay the same just faster and better brakes.
thanks guys for the input.

I'd swap everything over. If you have no intentions of selling, then who cares about the value? Plus it wouldn't be that hard to swap everything back over to stock if the time came and you had to. Just set all of the original stuff aside and keep it labeled.

1of585ttopz
02-15-2007, 07:36 PM
well now i have another situation i just found a rolling glhs for 200.00 maybe i should t 2 it?

85shelbycharger
02-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Being a GLHS, it willl already be setup for T2. Which year GLHS did you find? An '86 (Omni GLHS) or an '87 (Charger GLHS)?

1of585ttopz
02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
charger i just meant i could use the 89 t2 i have in it instead

cordes
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
charger i just meant i could use the 89 t2 i have in it instead

If it is actually a charger GLHS rather than just a shelby charger, I would jump on it for sure, as long as it was solid. The motor would go in there just fine.

tryingbe
02-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Here's what I'd do.

I'd follow this link and make your car a TII/A555 using all the parts you can from the 89 Daytona Shelby.

http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/T2conv.html

I wouldn't worry about the car being "rare", 5 made out of 1985, and no modify it. After all, they are cars and parts break. If you think a car that rare should be kept orignal, put the car in a museum.

BUY that 87 GLHS already.