PDA

View Full Version : knock sensor on Supercharged Dakota?????

MoparN75
02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Anyone ever done this? Would it be possible? Is it practical?
Think I just blew a headgasket on the Dak I just bought, don't want it to happen again. If I could simply see the knock occurring I might be satisfied, rather than incorperate it into the ECU. Just an indicator on the dash......ideas????

Vigo
02-13-2007, 01:42 AM
well supposedly the knock sensor generates its own ac voltage so if you made a circuit that tripped a light at a certain voltage, you shouldnt need to involve any other systems in the car.

WVRampage
02-13-2007, 08:12 AM
There is a after market knock detector that was in Turbo mag a few months ago that would probably work out for you,Im sure if you do a serch you could find it.It also has a desplay that goes in the car to show you wants going on.

t3rse
02-18-2007, 02:18 PM
this is what I use, and I like it a lot: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Knock-sensor-LED-gauge-detonation-not-Greddy-Blitz_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQihZ001QQite mZ110020788929QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

my standalone has no provision for knock detection, so 1 wire to the sensor and wire up the gauge and all is good, check sensitivity with a hammer and a screwdriver, then abuse.

ScottD
02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
You buy a blown Dakota?

You coming to the sv-td meeting this month? It is at my house this Saturday at 4pm.

MoparN75
02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Damn! I only now looked at your message Scott...I was really wanting to make that meeting too. I haven't been on here much. I started working nights in January and it's a 12 hr shift. Been using what time I get on pc to do research on and for the Dak. I bought a '01 R/T with 13,000 miles on it. Was a show truck, lots of goodies but not much attention was given to tuning the go fast parts that were installed. I think the Vortech supercharger needs rebuilt, hasn't had the computer flashed for sc. I think I popped a head gasket playing around with it a couple saturdays ago. No coolant in oil but got some gases/pressure in cooling system. Haven't checked it out completely yet. If I have to pull the heads I'm putting edelbrocks on in;-}.

ScottD
02-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Cool! Dakota R/Ts are nice.

The meeting was good, you shoulda come out, but I'm sure I'll probably host another meeting at some point.

JDAWG
02-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Thats cool Stan, I wanna see it. The meeting was a blast. As for your knock sensor, i have seen stand alone kits around, but from what i gather they create their own voltage so I suppose you could just tap the intake for one, an old td one would work, and just hook it to a 194 bulb or something. Anyone else care to add?