PDA

View Full Version : sheered bolts in head... removal?

zshadow
01-19-2006, 10:35 PM
hey guys,

i recently wanted to convert my 87 2.2 t1 dodge daytona to a t2. so in pulling off the head, and removing the exhaust and intake manifolds i sheered a total of 3 bolts in the head. the three bolts were sheered when taking off the exhaust manifold...

now the issue...

how do i get them out? the bolts are completely sheered off, and probabily a cm deep into the head. so theres no chance of vicegrips. the only real way i can think of getting them out is drilling and taping, and honestly thats something i personally can not do (im absolutly horriable at it).

any other ways of getting it out? or will it be okay with the bolts sheered off. the bolts are located on the outside edges of the manifold, kitty-corner to eachother.

~Kevin

supercrackerbox
01-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Honestly, if you don't want to attempt drilling it yourself, you'd be best off taking to a shop. They should have no trouble getting them out and heli-coiling the holes if needed.

The S is Silent
01-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Take it to a machine shop. That's how I always do mine. You are going to want to get the head resurfaced before you put it back on anyhow...might as well have them pull the studs out for you.

The S is Silent
01-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Honestly, if you don't want to attempt drilling it yourself, you'd be best off taking to a shop. They should have no trouble getting them out and heli-coiling the holes if needed.

lol...beat me to it :thumb:

supercrackerbox
01-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'm good.

BTW Matt, you have a PM.

Aries_Turbo
01-20-2006, 01:23 AM
yeah kev, take it to a shop. the only other way I know to do it is to strip the head bare (no valves or anything), drill the studs and get them ready for easy outs, bake the head in an oven and once its hot, take the studs out with easy outs.... like I said, take it to a shop. :)

Brian