PDA

View Full Version : avenger 420a head?

cs daytona
02-10-2007, 11:31 PM
has anyone ever tried a head off of a 420a from an avenger or an eclipse with the front exhaust? i would think it would fit since the neon and eclipse both have 420a's with the head just turned around. theres ample room in the front for a turbo also :nod:

travis

GLHS592
02-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I've thought about the same thing. I've been thinking about doing the complete 2.4 swap with the 420a cylinder head. For an L-body, it looks like the intake would work better in back and the exhaust in front. Let me know if you find any good information.

tvanlant
02-11-2007, 12:41 AM
This was covered a while back on td.com. Never did read the whole thing to learn the outcome, though.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125728

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2007, 05:10 AM
I think its a good idea but as brought up, if you run the dist setup in the block, your going to melt it.

WVRampage
02-11-2007, 11:19 AM
It wouldnt work well for a hybrid but for the total swap I dont see why not.

Speedeuphoria
02-11-2007, 11:29 AM
you would have to have the coolant lines long but you might be able to get a start from a DSM in a junkyard or the car you pull the head off. Exhaust could get interesting.

t3rse
02-11-2007, 01:02 PM
the only reason to do this is if you want to put the turbo in your headlight hole and dump the exhaust through the fender, otherwise there is no easy way to make the exhaust exit rearward...

altered7151
02-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Its been a debate for a while, but my personal feelings are that if you're building a racecar, this is definitely the way to go. Turbo right out in front easy to get to. If you've ever worked on a turbo honda you'll know how nice it is pull a turbo . But on a street car where you want to run an exhaust, I dont really think its worth it. You could easily build the turbo manifold to put the turbo on top and it would be almost as easy to access with out the headache of the running the exhaust under the motor.

cs daytona
02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I think its a good idea but as brought up, if you run the dist setup in the block, your going to melt it.

it could be done with dis coils as in the sds :) but thats just more money to spend

i wonder if it would work for the total swap.... the avenger that i used to have would cut out at 7200 rpms!! and would chirp 3rd. i loved that motor!!! and some of the dsm guys said it could take boost better than 4g63s.

but i'm guessing that the torque wouldnt be that great cus its a 2.0l

travis

ShelGame
02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Then bolt the 420a head onto a 2.4, like I am. I have a '97 Stat 2.4 with an Avenger head on it in my garage on the stand waiting to be built up. It'll be NA, though. The racing class I'm building it for doesn't allow turbos... :(

cs daytona
02-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Then bolt the 420a head onto a 2.4, like I am. I have a '97 Stat 2.4 with an Avenger head on it in my garage on the stand waiting to be built up. It'll be NA, though. The racing class I'm building it for doesn't allow turbos... :(

have you tried to fit the head and the block up yet? sounds like a good idea esp to turbocharge

travis

ShelGame
02-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah, the head is sitting on the engine now.

I'm going with the Avenger head NA because there's more room up front for a long-tube header. And, I can use an off-the-shelf header (I have a Pacesetter now). If I used a standard DOHC head (with rear exhaust), I'd have to have a custom header fabricated.

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah, the head is sitting on the engine now.

I'm going with the Avenger head NA because there's more room up front for a long-tube header. And, I can use an off-the-shelf header (I have a Pacesetter now). If I used a standard DOHC head (with rear exhaust), I'd have to have a custom header fabricated.

Very smart, :partywoot:

Vigo
02-13-2007, 11:11 PM
heh, i was wondering why noone was using that head. i have a whole 420a motor in an avenger parts car im debating what to do with.. the stupid part of me says i need to buy another car to put it in. lol.

cs daytona
02-15-2007, 08:38 AM
listen to the stupid part of you lol:D

Russ Jerome
02-15-2007, 08:33 PM
if you're building a racecar, this is definitely the way to go. .

Thats exactly what I always thought too. Like mentioned a long
tube header (solid motor mounts) in a FWD would be a sweet option.
Darrel Cox's powertrain is pretty service friendly (has to be....sorry
Darrel) with the exhaust up front.

Aries_Turbo
02-15-2007, 08:41 PM
if you arent building a racecar though, i cant think of a reasonable way to get the exhaust to the back of the car short of cutting and notching the oil pan and the k frame. out the fender for a racecar would be cake though.

Russ, how is "the tomb" coming?

Brian

Russ Jerome
02-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Russ, how is "the tomb" coming?

Brian

Doing everything I can indoors possible...........cold out!

Header is done, machinest is decking it this weekend. The LW
intake is on my toolbox at work and getting completed. SDS
system is layed out on my pooltable downstairs....come on
springtime. I should be rolled over and on fire at my track this
year with no excusses.

Aries_Turbo
02-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Doing everything I can indoors possible...........cold out!

Header is done, machinest is decking it this weekend. The LW
intake is on my toolbox at work and getting completed. SDS
system is layed out on my pooltable downstairs....come on
springtime.

oh i hear you on the cold. i have a 205,000btu salamander heater in my garage but getting cars in and out with the 2 ft of snow is the bigger problem. :)

I should be rolled over and on fire at my track this
year with no excusses.

hahahaha! that line is sweet. well hopefully you survive the inevitible crash lol :)

good to hear that it coming along. :)

Brian

Vigo
02-19-2007, 02:39 AM
hoestly i think notching the oil pan would not be TOO bad but then there's the axle right behind that. i dunno, havent looked into it yet, but i think if you were running a stock height k-car it would be ok to go underneath everything. couldnt possibly be any worse than my aries and i get along ok. i just try to avoid going over anything bigger than a 2x4 or soda can. that feeling of trying to go over something and being stopped DEAD and wondering if your k-frame is ok sucks.