PDA

View Full Version : 85 Turbo Z ecu problem

CDNTurboZ
01-19-2006, 05:58 PM
We are getting an 85 turbo z ready as a daily driver and I have a few questions on what ecu I need. The car has a 85 bottom end, with a 86 swirl head. I will be using a 88 TI one piece intake, with a modified garret TI turbo. I don't plan to intercool this car and will just put a 88+ TI airbox on it. What kind of ECU should I use?

I don't want to get a new cal or anything right now.

DanC
01-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Be aware that you will have higher compression than normal - the 85 bottom end has pistons with a different dish and no valve reliefs, and originally came with a g-head with about 6cc more volume than the 86 782 swirl head.

That being said, if you're using an 88T1 1piece intake, I'm assuming you're going to be using the 88 style throttle body with the 4 wire AIS motor. The simplest way to run this would be with a GLHS or MP 86-87 GLHS stage 2 logic module. It will require some minor wiring modifications. The 85 or 86 logic module will not control the AIS on the 88 intake.

If you don't want to get a new cal right now, you should use the original 86 log intake manifold, along with the 86 logic module. The 85 logic module runs with a different spark curve (more advance to go along with the g-head) than the 86 logic module. With a higher compression setup, you will be less prone to detonation with the 86 logic module.

Oh, that reminds me ... if you are going to use the 85 bottom end, the 85 distributor will only work with the 85 logic module. If you are going to use the 86 logic module or the GLHS logic module, you need to use an 86up distributor.