PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 16V valvetrain upgrades?

TurbododgePirate
02-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I remember reading over on neons.org that the 16V valvetrain was prone to breaking at high rpm's and that you could fix the problem by upgrading to 2.7L followers.

Anybody know if you keep the stock lifters with this configuration?

~~Heath

Speedeuphoria
02-11-2007, 03:51 AM
yes
they changed the lifters to PT's and all neons 2.0/2.4 ect all superceed to the same new lifter diff from the original 2.0 lifters.

yes you can still use the old ones, there alot of guys runing the stock lifters/rockers, some dont rev that high, but I know Kevin had solid lifters and crane 18's reved to ~8000rpms and had no probs w/ stock rocker arms.

I got the 2.7 rockers, you can get them from rockauto for cheaper, have been proven on a n/a 2.4 DD to 8400rpms w. crane 22or 24 cams. If you search around theres a discount code for rockauto also for 5% off(maybe 10%, dont remember). You can get teh PT lifters for $100 a set from howell(I think).

whatever you do the head gets too much oil, so those rockers and teh newer lifters will help.

But be sure to put a restrictor in the block! :nod:
yes the headgasket has one built in but its too big, so at the very least use the old TD restrictor in the block(some 2.4's have them allready, some do not), I went a little smaller

TurbododgePirate
02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
yes
they changed the lifters to PT's and all neons 2.0/2.4 ect all superceed to the same new lifter diff from the original 2.0 lifters.

yes you can still use the old ones, there alot of guys runing the stock lifters/rockers, some dont rev that high, but I know Kevin had solid lifters and crane 18's reved to ~8000rpms and had no probs w/ stock rocker arms.

I got the 2.7 rockers, you can get them from rockauto for cheaper, have been proven on a n/a 2.4 DD to 8400rpms w. crane 22or 24 cams. If you search around theres a discount code for rockauto also for 5% off(maybe 10%, dont remember). You can get teh PT lifters for $100 a set from howell(I think).

whatever you do the head gets too much oil, so those rockers and teh newer lifters will help.

But be sure to put a restrictor in the block! :nod:
yes the headgasket has one built in but its too big, so at the very least use the old TD restrictor in the block(some 2.4's have them allready, some do not), I went a little smaller

So in a nutshell.... PT lifters 2.7 rockers and a smaller oil restrictor in the block.

How small did you go?

Thanks much!!~~Heath

Speedeuphoria
02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
How small did you go?

well thats a secret
also here of the DCR oil restrictor/fix? Thats a restrictor that goes in the head instead(seems like the newer 2.4 got no restrictor in the block and caused probs like 6200rpm stumble) it will work on the older heads also.

I havent tested my restrictor size, and dont want to say something and end up wiping cams out and then hearing about it. I looked on neons.org and they talk about it a little if you search, and I talked to some hybrid guys and saw what they ran.

like I said though, use the stock TD restrictor at a minum(well max) its smaller than the restrictor in the gasket

rbryant
09-19-2007, 03:52 AM
Ed Peters says to just use the 2.2/2.5 oil restrictor and the 2.7 rockers(followers) on the 2.4....

-Rich

Speedeuphoria
09-19-2007, 08:27 AM
2.7 lifters dont fit! 2.7 rockers work well

use a 2.2/2.5 oil restrictor, also you can resize it so its slightly smaller

mock_glh
09-19-2007, 11:20 AM
What's the difference with the 2.7 rockers? They look the same to me.:confused2:

rbryant
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
2.7 lifters dont fit! 2.7 rockers work well

use a 2.2/2.5 oil restrictor, also you can resize it so its slightly smaller

Good catch I meant rockers not lifters. You are correct the lifters won't work I think they are shorter or something. I guess I was posting while asleep again...

-Rich

rbryant
09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
What's the difference with the 2.7 rockers? They look the same to me.:confused2:

They have a smaller laser cut hole that directs the oil directly toward the cam. This also helps keep less oil in the head since it gets too much oil in stock form.

Are all of the 2.7 rockers(followers) the same?

-Rich

rbryant
09-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Here are the pictures:

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=259108&sid=4349fc7de5b4895349905ed6519ec9ea

mock_glh
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Excellent! :thumb:

Speedeuphoria
09-20-2007, 08:19 AM

yes and no
There were an early version that are made of cheaper material similar to the stock 2.0/2.4 rockers which some have had issues w/. It may have been the early makes of both rockers that have probs?. Not many people at all have any issure.
other than that all the 2.7 motors have the same rockers magnum or not:thumb:

DCR says that he used to use the 2.7 rockers but they wear out, but he also says many things to make a buck that I dont believe;)

turboshad
09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
They have a smaller laser cut hole that directs the oil directly toward the cam. This also helps keep less oil in the head since it gets too much oil in stock form.

-Rich

Are they to direct oil at the cam or direct it vertically? The 4cly heads sit more or less flat so the hole is pointed upwards and would then "spray" over everything. The 6cyl engines have the heads at an angle so to get the same effect the holes would need to be angled to get a vertical spray. Just a thought I had when looking at the pictures.

DJ

Speedeuphoria
09-20-2007, 05:46 PM
as you can see the stockers spray straight up, the orig 2.0/2.4 lifters did not have a hole in the top but people dont like them as well. The newer "PT" lifters have a hole in the top, this w/ the older rockers sprays oil straight up.
Then 2.7 hole as shown in the pic is aimed at the cam lobe.

not sure how much this all means but they do puddle oil in the head in stock form, thats why the DRC oil modifier was invented or you can use a 2.2/2.5 oil restrictor. And the Hybrid guys use an inline restrictor/carb jet/flow control valve ect... The head needs little oil and this keeps the bottom end happy