PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Question

Ground Rat
02-09-2007, 07:10 AM
On the inside of my stock oil pan there are a couple of pieces of metal that look like they were added (from the factory) for rigidity. I would like to remove the bigger piece on the bottom of the pan, does anyone forsee a problem with this?

Capt'n Dave
02-09-2007, 07:25 AM
I am not sure what car or van you have ,but i would think maybe they put it there so that all of your oil would not run to one side of the pan on sharp turns and steep grades,that way it keeps the pick up screen in the oil and the oil pressure going,Simon,Frank will prob. have a better Ideal on this,Hope it Helps,sometimes they put baffles in there to keep from slinging oil upon the sides of motor and causing a potental leak at the pan gasket!:thumb:

Frank
02-09-2007, 07:31 AM
They are rigidity plates probably to change the noise/resonance or to actually add rigidity from what I can tell when I look a them. Unless we ask a Chrysler engineer, who knows. All I know is that they are a pain. They collect small debree, etc. I have heard of many different people removing them.

Frank

DevoBuzz
02-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I think they are for sound deadening.

Ground Rat
02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
They collect small debree, etc.
Yep. My motor spun a rod bearing and there is a lot of really small debree under that bottom metal plate; I have to take out the metal plate if I want to reuse this pan. Seems like I should be fine though if I remove it.

88_pacifica
02-09-2007, 01:03 PM
All you have to do is deep clean it in a high pressure parts washer... If it's in there SO deep that under pressure it won't come out, then the likelihood of it working it's way out again would be rather small...

ShelGame
02-09-2007, 02:06 PM
They are for sound deadening. It's just like "quiet steel" - a doubler plate with mastic between to increase the natural frequecy of the large panels on the pan. If you don't care about a little more noise, then you can pull them out. But, that mastic stuff is hard to remove...

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2007, 02:17 PM
As said, sound deadening. If you had anytype of engine failure, that pan needs to be hot tanked to get the crap out of it or remove the plates. I had mine hot tanked and I can't believe the crap that came out.

88_pacifica
02-09-2007, 02:30 PM
^^ Exactly... Don't risk "tearing" the pan...

contraption22
02-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I just got my little 2" 90-degree air sander and sanded down the spot welds and they plates came off pretty easy. A little bit more light sanding to get the adhesive out.

GLHS592
02-09-2007, 10:08 PM
As said, sound deadening. If you had anytype of engine failure, that pan needs to be hot tanked to get the crap out of it or remove the plates. I had mine hot tanked and I can't believe the crap that came out.

I saw one that a friend had "cleaned" out. That's why I removed them from my brand new 2.2 oil pan.