PDA

View Full Version : apexi safc ii

phantom rt
02-09-2007, 02:15 AM
well SOMEBODU TOLD ME AN APEXI SAFC WILL BE MORE USEFULL TO ME RATHER THAN A CALIBRATION.....IS IT TRUE AND HOW DIFFICULT ITS TO INTALL OR WHERE DO I GET THE WIRING AND CONECTIONS, DIAGRAM

MY VEHICLE ITS A 1994 LEBARON / PHANTOM HERE IN MEXICO

TX

DodgeZ
02-09-2007, 09:33 AM
No It Won"t Be. Nothing Beats A Good Cal.

88_pacifica
02-09-2007, 09:38 AM
+1 a good cal keeps the stock look too...

TurboGLH
02-09-2007, 12:06 PM
But he's also on a 94 car, so SBEC-II. I don't think that anyone offers a cal for cars that late. He might be stuck using a piggyback of some kind.

88_pacifica
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
true... I think he might also have to verify that it is able to be supported with the Mexican setup. What are the major differences and how far out of "stock" is it and will it get? He may have no other options...

SwiftTech
02-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I had to go with the apexi safc for my 84 since no one makes a cal for it. See the thread I posted a while back on it http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216 (here). You might also want to check out the SRTforums, there is a lot of garbage to search through, but they also have a lot of people using the safc's and there is some good info about how to hook it up and how to tune it over there. It just might take a while to find. With the safc I have great drivablilty compared to when I was tuning with a rising rate regulator. For wiring diagrams you should be able to download the user manual from apexi's website. It is pretty straight forward, you need to interupt the MAP sensor signal line, run power and ground, and tap into the rpm signal from the coil. For the throttle signal I would strongly suggest running a map sensor for the throttle input, that way it references boost instead of throttle position. You can use a spare stock map sensor for this, Just run 5v power and ground to it, then run the signal from the map sensor to the throttle input of the safc. I can draw up a schematic of my setup if you need, if this isn't clear. After it is installed its just a matter of adjusting the tables on the safc. Oh and one more thing, with our cars you cannot use the safc to add fuel, you can only remove fuel. Trying to add fuel will just cause the computer to over boost. This is becasue the safc adjusts the map sensor voltage going to the computer, it decreases it to take fuel out and increases it to add fuel. If you want to use it to boost higher you will have to add larger injectors and take fuel out. On my car I run +20 injectors, so I set the safc to -20 to make them act like regular injectors. At stock boost you couldn't tell a difference. But when you up the boost you take less fuel out to compesate. So maybe your only at -10 or -5 or what not with more boost. Be careful though, you are taking control of the fueling on your car and you can cause problems really fast. Make sure you are monitoring your air fuel ratio with an air fuel meter at the very least. A wide band setup and EGT guage would also be a very good idea. Just start rich and make small adjustments at a time, watching everything carefully. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions:thumb:

phantom rt
02-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Taht WOuld Be Useful Can U Post The Schematics Please Or Can I Add U To My Msn List Or Some Sort Ur In... Tx

I REALLY HAVE THIS GREAT PROYECT AND THE ONLY THING LEFT ITS TO MAKE THE ADJUSTMENTS IN THE COMPUTER....

OR CAN I ADAPT SOMEHOW THE LATEST CAL MODEL BY DOING A PIN OUT

SwiftTech
02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
here's a quick sketch it does not show the power and ground connections, which are important. But it shows how I used a spare map sensor to for the throttle input.

inmyshadow
02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd think for better help on tuning installing, he should check out neons.org. There was a thread or two there about installing SAFC on 95 neons. I'm sure there are plenty of things the same between 94/95. The 95 Neon is suppose to be SBEC II also.

You could also go megasquirt too.

SwiftTech
02-20-2007, 07:21 PM
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51147&highlight=apexi+safc

This thread has some good info in it too. although it is SRT specific a lot of what is said applies.

phantom rt
02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanx A Lot

dds78910
06-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey Luke, so if you can only remove the fuel what do you do if you have taken out too much? Do you have to reset the SAFC and start over?

Mysterio
06-25-2007, 12:14 AM
I have a stage 4 cal from FWD performance. Even with everything they require it runs a bit rich so I was thinking about getting an safc2 myself just for a little bit of extra tuning ontop of the cal. I still have to hook up the charge temp sensor so that may help the richness so I'm going to do that first before I commit to anything. But an SAFC can't hurt :-\

CSXT802
06-25-2007, 07:59 AM
I have a stage 4 cal from FWD performance. Even with everything they require it runs a bit rich so I was thinking about getting an safc2 myself just for a little bit of extra tuning ontop of the cal. I still have to hook up the charge temp sensor so that may help the richness so I'm going to do that first before I commit to anything. But an SAFC can't hurt :-\

I run the stage 5 cal from FWD along with meth/water injection. It's way too rich. So I'm useing an Apexi AFC NEO to pull out fuel. If all you want to do is take some fuel out there is nothing wrong with it. It works plain and simple.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/brouss29/DSCF0003-1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/brouss29/DSCF0007.jpg

dds78910
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM

+1 I have the stage 5 cal from FWD and it seems to run rich, so I would like to tune it see if I can get a little more power out of it.

Dusty_Duster
06-25-2007, 09:30 AM
I like the idea of using a second MAP sensor instead of the TPS sensor.

But why do you have to use a second MAP sensor? Seems to me you should be able to use the original one and just plug the wiring into both inputs on the SAFC.

CSXT802
06-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I like the idea of using a second MAP sensor instead of the TPS sensor.

But why do you have to use a second MAP sensor? Seems to me you should be able to use the original one and just plug the wiring into both inputs on the SAFC.

you don't need a second map sensor. It's just another way of doing it. I just used the 3 bar map sensor thats in my car. I could not see spending the $ on another.:nod:

mario03SRT
06-25-2007, 03:02 PM
All,

One of the keys to getting a fuel piggy back make the car run correctly is to use the map output signal and not the tps. I've ran Split Second, Apexi, turboXS DTEC they all need boost input rather than throttle.

FYI,
Marion

SwiftTech
06-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey Luke, so if you can only remove the fuel what do you do if you have taken out too much? Do you have to reset the SAFC and start over?

nope you just adjust the table settings. Say you are at -30% and it is too lean, you can adjust it to -28, -25, -20, whatever you want.

dds78910
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Sweet! Thanks, I think I am going to pick one up. Just wanted to know how they work with our cars.

Dave
06-29-2007, 08:32 AM
How much are you guys picking these babies up for??

SwiftTech
07-02-2007, 03:36 PM
you can get them used for around $100 on ebay, new they are $250-350 i think. They are not as good as a custom cal, but for those who cannot get a custom cal they work great.