PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Solid

Black_Sunshine
02-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't really think there is too much I can do about this but I might as well get some more suggestions...My room mate has been chasing leaks in his '98 Pontiac Bonnie for some time now and has been using more water/significantly less coolant since his wallet couldn't keep up with the leak. Last weekend he forgot to put coolant in and it got VERY cold. The next morning I went out to check it since he said it sounded weird and all the water is frozen solid. Hooray! It's under a carport for the time being but it's still exposed to the cold air. Any suggestions on how to speed up the thawing process so I can see how much damage is done? I'm not really too thrilled about him putting 130 miles a day on my back-up Jeep so I'm loooking to fix this A.S.A.P. Thanks

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Take off the serp belt and let it run for 10-? mins, this will thaw out the block, then hot water in the rad and drain it. Then you should be able to refill the coolant using hot water and coolant and put the belt back on. Hopefully being low, a frost plug didn't pop out. I also bet his coolant leak is the intake manifold gaskets.

Blue Iroc R/T
02-07-2007, 07:45 PM
If you can beg or borrow a Torpedo Heater; get some of the blue plastic tarps and fabricate a tent around the front clip, then fire up the heater inside the tent and let it thaw it out. It will take time, but will eventually thaw it out. And like Simon said, with the belt off, run it for a few minutes to thaw the block.
Be carefull and don't get the plastic tarp tooooo close to the heater.

WVRampage
02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Maby even the intake has a crack.

TurboRon25
02-07-2007, 10:20 PM
My stepfather was a truck driver for years. When it was really cold they would get some charcoal glowing and toss it on the ground under the motor. It helps heat up/thin the oil too. I don't know if it was the safest thing to do, but they never had problems and it's cheap and readily available.

Ron

Vigo
02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
intake gasket leaking coolant only applicable to 3.1/3.4 afaik.. i thought bonneville base/opt motor both 3.8

1FastCSX289
02-07-2007, 11:07 PM
intake gasket leaking coolant only applicable to 3.1/3.4 afaik.. i thought bonneville base/opt motor both 3.8

The 3.8's intake manifold will leak through the EGR port. Its an internal leak and you cant see it unless you pull the throttle body, but its VERY common on the 3.8's.

Black_Sunshine
02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I was thinking about the tent idea but the apartment complex we live at isn't too fond of working on cars so it might be a lil obvious. I haven't even looked at it since we found it frozen. I'm heading out in a lil bit to do a look around. I've done some odds and ends on his 3.8 but I'm not too familiar with the engine. Any more details on this intake leak?

Dax

Capt'n Dave
02-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Well the heater ideal sounds pretty good, cover it up with tarp,have a exhaust area for the heat to escape,buy the guy a gallon of anti-freeze and a bunch of quality stop leak,like barrs or such. i know it's not a fix,but may slow it down to get your car back,i have had friends like that,they seem to have money for the fun things but neglect their ride.... I feel your Pain!

Black_Sunshine
02-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Took off the belt, ran it for about 10 minutes and 'poof'...big a** stream of water goes shooting out of the engine. So I shut it off and checked it out. Looks like somewhere between the block and head (above the water pump) is where it came from. I noticed on the other side of the engine, between the head and block, before I started it up there was a big chunck of ice. While it was running I knocked it out of the way and water started flowing out. Great. He's at work now but the way it's looking he'll be finding some new wheels after I tell him the news. This thing is a piece anyways. Thanks to all that gave me some input :thumb:

Dax

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Well theres a plastic TEE in that area so that could have broken. I would say re and re the intake and I bet it will be fine. Too bad your so far away, I'd take that bad boy off your hands, :thumb:

Charger R/T
02-09-2007, 11:08 PM
give him the news and repo your car at the same time this way he only crys like a baby once. If you don't your Jeep will end up like his car. If he won't take care of his car he won't take care of yours. Been there done that won't do that again.

turbovanmanČ
02-10-2007, 12:27 AM
give him the news and repo your car at the same time this way he only crys like a baby once. If you don't your Jeep will end up like his car. If he won't take care of his car he won't take care of yours. Been there done that won't do that again.

Thats great advice, :D

jre97
02-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Might of gotten lucky and popped a freeze plug. I got lucky like that on my daytona. It froze up the second week I had it (had bad tranny and was down getting changed when I got it, didn't know there was water in it) and it shoved out the freeze plugs on the front of the block. I also had to fix some hoses and plumbing odds and ends after that. I also found that one of those halogen flood lights works well for thawing an engine and heat when working outside in the cold.

Tony Hanna
02-10-2007, 09:31 AM
...didn't know there was water in it...
I seem to recall on at least one occasion mentioning that you needed to get some antifreeze for it because it was getting cold and had pure water in it.:p

jre97
02-10-2007, 01:34 PM
:focus:

Black_Sunshine
02-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Nah. He's been one of my best friends for the longest time. He's helped me out in times before and the Jeep is just sitting around. He's just 'mechanically challenged'. I've been checking the Jeep everynight just to make sure everything is sound.

Tony Hanna
02-10-2007, 05:45 PM
...I've been checking the Jeep everynight just to make sure everything is sound.

Good thinking. I've loaned vehicles out before and almost always get them back in significantly worse condition. No more. John (jre97) is about the only person I'd ever trust with one of my vehicles for an extended period of time.

shelby zed
03-10-2007, 10:42 PM
my 89 k car did that, let it freeze for a few days. then i reached around. plugged in the block heater, and undid the lower rad hose. let it sit for a while. then started it, and repeated a few times. worked good.