PDA

View Full Version : temp.gauge problems or cracked head??????????

goinNOwhereFAST
02-07-2007, 05:03 PM
hey guys i just got a 91 shadow convertible and i just notice that when the car goes into boost the temp. rises and when i let off of the gas it will go down. the temp.guage gives a delayed reading(boost kicks in then a secong later the temp.guage rises)i hope its nothing to serious but i think i could have a serious issue at hand. i searched but really couldnt come out with anything.

JDAWG
02-07-2007, 05:37 PM
it could be something other than a cracked head, I had a partially plugged rad that made the temp gauge do that. What is your engine setup?

goinNOwhereFAST
02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
its a stock vehicle nothing was done it when i bought the car the owner said they had recently replaced the radiator but that could be a problem considering the car sat for a couple of months in a lot

JDAWG
02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
does it actually overheat?

goinNOwhereFAST
02-07-2007, 07:29 PM
i dont think it does:o

for example im driving down an empty street and floor it for a couple of seconds after boostin for a couple of seconds and letting off the gas the temp. gauage rises almost to HOT then slowly goes back down. the longer i boost the hotter it gets

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Its most likely a heater core, when they plug up, the temp guage tends to swing when getting on it. It could be a head gasket but then you would be blowing coolant out of your overflow. Of course, it could be the thermostat so you've changed that already if its old, ;)

Orangetona
02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Its most likely a heater core, when they plug up, the temp guage tends to swing when getting on it. It could be a head gasket but then you would be blowing coolant out of your overflow. Of course, it could be the thermostat so you've changed that already if its old, ;)

Sounds like you covered it haha. It almost sounds like your coolant system is partially plugged. My guess goes to the heater core. :nod:

inmyshadow
02-08-2007, 07:24 PM
how about low coolant?

My 91 Shadow ES convertible currently had a coolant leak. When the coolant gets low, I can see the results in the temp gauge. More so when on the gas.

Orangetona
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
how about low coolant?

My 91 Shadow ES convertible currently had a coolant leak. When the coolant gets low, I can see the results in the temp gauge. More so when on the gas.

Right, you would get that affect on a partially plugged system also.