PDA

View Full Version : For you N/A 3.0L guys, stage 1 and race cams!

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I have available stage 1 which is an RV type and will run the stock computer, pass smog tests and move the powerband up. $350 and I need your old cams back or a $100 core charge.

Race cam which you can use the stock springs but it is recommend you put new ones in as coil bind is pretty close. These are the max you can run on a stock computer, slight idle, probably won't pass smog tests and moves up the powerband a bit more-5 speed only. $400 plus your cams or a core charge.

I will post the specs, I have to dig them up, :thumb:

BTW, these are ROLLER cams.

Not sure how they would work on a turbo motor?

Ondonti
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
ummmm my cams are bigger and they run on the stock computer.......

But there are severe limitations on total lift you can get away with on the stock head regardless of the Spring.

The Valve retainer WILL hit the stock valve guide seal with stock length valves with anything over stock lift.

That is why Crower and other companies dont increase lift on their regrinds.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Brent, these cams work with the stock hardware and will not hit. There are 3.0L's running around running these cams with no issues. The guy that tested the race cams ran them all summer with no issues.
I have sold some stage 1 cams to Ed Kelly.

Frank
02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Brent,
Please be respectful towards the vendors. I am sure he will post specs soon which will calm any tension.

Frank

Ondonti
02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
He already posted specs in the TD.com area.

The numbers were all wrong, and the claims were impossible. The issue was NOT cleared up there but avoided. I dont have a problem if this lack of information is corrected.

I didnt mean to make that first post and Frank should have an AIM message from when I was typing that (i thought I didnt push send since thats not even the entire thing)
but maybe I will get some straight answers and some measurements and proof.

Example
--------------------

Ok, I can get a choice of 2 cams, one is a RV type that emphasizes bottom end torque the other is a race type cam and moves up the powerband so you lose bottom end torque. These will work with no shims on the lifters and the race one is the largest he recommends with a stock computer.

S1-dur 194@.050, 256 adv, lift is .446

Race cam-dur 202@.050, 270 adv, lift is .469

Price I am working that out but custom grinds can be done. I will need your cores back or money to buy new cores.

Brent, talked to him and they will work with a stock head with no mods. I am trying to find a website with his car using the race cam, he revs it to 6100 rpm and setting records. It has a rumpy idle and loves it.

Ok, slight mistake on the lifts, he had the rocker arm ratio at 1.75 and he forgot to change it, doh! so the correction is

S1 lift .408 and Race .429"

The S1 grinds are $325 and the Race is $380.

the lift numbers are still totally wrong.

More like .402" for the race cams since Rockers are 1.5 ratio NOT 1.6 and not 1.75
.380" lift for the RV cams

Also the duration @ .050" lift is going to drop because you are getting less total lift at all points on the cam lobe (aka there are now ZERO degree duration above .402" lift and all other lifts lost duration.

The RV cam with my corrected lift numbers would probably work. I want to see evidence for the .400" "race" cam fitting in a stock head.
Still havent seen this website.

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2007, 10:17 PM
He already posted specs in the TD.com area.

The numbers were all wrong, and the claims were impossible. The issue was NOT cleared up there but avoided. I dont have a problem if this lack of information is corrected.

I didnt mean to make that first post and Frank should have an AIM message from when I was typing that (i thought I didnt push send since thats not even the entire thing)
but maybe I will get some straight answers and some measurements and proof.

Yes, you are correct, the numbers were wrong as he was given a rocker ratio of 1.7, he has gone on holidays so when he gets back, I'll repost with the correct 1.5 rocker ratio specs.

Nothing was avoided hence why I just sold at set. :thumb:

Ondonti
02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
The numbers that I fixed seem more believable but I still dont think .400" race cams will fit and give clearance.

Im sure the stage 1 cams with that small lift wont have a problem.

jory
02-08-2007, 04:34 AM
so there are no problems with the race cams? what about cold weather starting and idling?

turbovanmanČ
02-08-2007, 01:55 PM
so there are no problems with the race cams? what about cold weather starting and idling?

Honestly, can't tell you, but it does have an idle so when first started, it could be an issue until it warms up.

Again, the race cams are in use on a STOCK head with no mods needed except a spring change is highly recommended.

Aries_Turbo
02-09-2007, 09:05 PM
simon, any plans on spec'ing out a spring to use with the race cam... and possibly offering a package... I have a certain little V6 5-speed k car in the back yard. I dunno if I can swing the cash though with all my other projects lol.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2007, 09:24 PM
simon, any plans on spec'ing out a spring to use with the race cam... and possibly offering a package... I have a certain little V6 5-speed k car in the back yard. I dunno if I can swing the cash though with all my other projects lol.

Brian

For sure I could do that. He's out of town for 2 weeks on holidays so when he gets back, I will get on it.

BTW, want those rotors???? :eyebrows:

Aries_Turbo
02-10-2007, 01:35 PM
rotors??

Ondonti
02-10-2007, 03:47 PM

Brian

The stock valve springs seem to be able to deal with a bigger cam then he is selling, the 3.0 just has very little room for mechanical movement beyond the spring.

turbovanmanČ
02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
rotors??

Never mind, wrong Bryan, err, Brian, whatever, :nod:

Aries_Turbo
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
The stock valve springs seem to be able to deal with a bigger cam then he is selling, the 3.0 just has very little room for mechanical movement beyond the spring.

then trim the keeper/retainer or he could offer a package with other valve seals. not too big a deal.

Brian

Ondonti
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
If he offered that, (how about some smaller profile titaniums too :P ) then that would be awesome.

turbovanmanČ
02-10-2007, 11:23 PM
If he offered that, (how about some smaller profile titaniums too :P ) then that would be awesome.

Well that could be possible. Need to get my hands on a 3.0L head then I can play around. Guess I am off to Pick-a-part, :eyebrows:

Aries_Turbo
02-10-2007, 11:30 PM
have fun simon. :) not only are you a post whore, but you are now becoming a parts whore ;)

Brian

Ondonti
02-11-2007, 03:06 AM
not really sure if there would be a good market though lol.
you can always try to sell to sohc 12v 3000gt guys too but they get made fun of by the TT guys when they mod their cars lol.

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2007, 04:37 AM
have fun simon. :) not only are you a post whore, but you are now becoming a parts whore ;)

Brian

Oh man, you have no idea, I have way to much crap at my shop, I need to sell it off. I just scrapped an 87 Z today.

not really sure if there would be a good market though lol.
you can always try to sell to sohc 12v 3000gt guys too but they get made fun of by the TT guys when they mod their cars lol.

Maybe not but if I sell a few sets a year, thats still some money in my pocket, :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
what do you want for the LM from the z?

Brian

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2007, 12:36 PM
what do you want for the LM from the z?

Brian

I sold that about 6 months ago.

Aries_Turbo
02-11-2007, 02:17 PM
oh well. id like to get a spare sometime. :)

Brian

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2007, 02:31 PM
oh well. id like to get a spare sometime. :)

Brian

Ok, if I come across another one, :thumb:

Our insurance company has decided to crush anything 88 and older instantly so any TD's won't get a chance for resurrection, :(

Aries_Turbo
02-11-2007, 02:43 PM
that sucks.... that just means that if they come into your shop, you have to strip them before they go to the yard. :)

Brian

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Yep, or scan ICBC's website and pick them off before they get crushed.

Ondonti
04-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Just wanted to mention that i found today that the stock lifters cant deal with .450" lift even with my longer valves.
Was afraid to drive the car again after recent rebuild because of valvetrain clatter. Pulled the lifters and they were "maxed out" and still apparently not taking up the clearance to the valve tips.
I had removed the shims after some discussions but now Im putting a small .020" shim back in. Im not really happy with the stainless washers Im using as they seem to wear and it would be nice if someone had a better shim. The lifter on the 3.0 has a spherical head so it makes shimming difficult.