PDA

View Full Version : Cam ID

Rattlesnake
02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Does anybody know how to tell one from the other? Part #s or something?

Reinaldo Moloon

BadFastGTC
02-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Short of having a known original application, I am not aware of any way to determine exactly what one may have. I do know some of the earlier turbo cams have TURB stamped on the end of them. The "L" on the cam means nothing as far as ID of a particular grind.

Steve M.

Does anybody know how to tell one from the other? Part #s or something?

Reinaldo Moloon

Rattlesnake
02-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Yes, you are right. I have 2 cams laying around and 1 I know is a 89+ roller because I bought it at the dealer for a turbo '90 Daytona. The other one, if my memory serves me right I took it off an Acclaim long time ago and that one says "Roller" where the turbo cam says "TUR".

Reinaldo Moloon

turbovanmanČ
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
For some stupid reason, Dodge never put ID's on them, some also had a T on the drivers side.

The only way to tell is a cam doctor or measure them on the car. Thats why you never know what you get at the wrecker unless the head is original and even that can be wrong. :banghead:

4 l-bodies
02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I have found the #618 stamped slider cams to be turbo applications in all cases to date. Although I'm sure you were looking for roller info. SOL on the rollers I'm afraid, unless you know (as Steve said) the original application. Guy is selling new roller N/A cams on Ebay currently for around $70. N/A as per 89 parts book # (4387850)at least. #4387721 is listed as turbo. As you know, you will not find that part # on camshaft.
Todd Nelson

Rattlesnake
02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I have found the #618 stamped slider cams to be turbo applications in all cases to date. Although I'm sure you were looking for roller info. SOL on the rollers I'm afraid, unless you know (as Steve said) the original application. Guy is selling new roller N/A cams on Ebay currently for around $70. N/A as per 89 parts book # (4387850)at least. #4387721 is listed as turbo. As you know, you will not find that part # on camshaft.
Todd Nelson
You are right Todd, those are the same part numbers that I got from my source at the dealership, but like you said, nothing stamped on the cams:mad:

Reinaldo Moloon

Rattlesnake
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Ok, I fixe the cams next to each other and there is a slight diffence at the lobes. The 89+ turbo roller cam has a smaller nose radius compared to the suspected 88TBI roller, so now I know they are not the same.

Reinaldo Moloon

nomadman2001
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I think the only way to tell is to use a degree wheel and plot them out. I have several rollers that all "look" the same but I know they aren't based on what they came out of - not that really means anything either.