PDA

View Full Version : Building my first 2.5 in years....

racer-xerols
02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I've been playing with my Harley and Buell for so long I'm getting bored (and they're fast enough to break MANY laws at this point)...so it's time to rebuild the 87 CSX.

As it sits, it's a 2.5L 3.5 cylinder (LOL) commonblock motor, with balance shafts. TU S70 Garrett; ported 2pc intake; 58mm throttlebody; roller turbo cam (from 89 Spirit 2.5tI, I think?); +40s; AFPR; 3bar cal; 2.5" open exhaust to the bumper; EGT probe in #4 port; UDP; a/c removed; A523 trans with 3.77 final drive.

I think.

I blew it up about 4 years ago and it was gradually coming back to me as I disassembled last night, LOL. I say 3.5 cylinders because I can stand a screwdriver between the outer edge of the #1 piston and the INSIDE edge of the top piston ring. Oops. <shrug>

I am going to keep the balance shafts; I can boost out the whopping 12hp loss and it's worth it to me to keep my fillings. Currently the car has a stock rad/IC, but I'll be installing a dual-stock-core IC during the build. The 1G BOV will be replaced with an RFL or something similar (suggestions?). The cal, a hot 2.2 cal that is probably the reason I lost a piston (a little TOO hot on the ignition curve I suspect), will be replaced or remapped to fit the motor...like I should have done in the first place. I'll probably (most likely) replace the fasteners with ARP goodies - rods, mains, and head studs. Crank, rods, and bores (with torque plate) will be resized as required. My main question is, what pistons? I've been reading the Wiseco vs. Venolia thread and gotten some good information, but there's another factor for me - a (local) friend is a dealer for CP Pistons (www.cppistons.com) who makes custom pistons for all applications. We've installed a bunch of their Harley slugs at work and they are beautiful pieces, and one of the techs has used them to good results in a personal blown/fogged BBC. Has anyone used these pistons before, or have any specific measurements/specs for a strong, durable, liveable (noise-wise) high-boost 2.5 piston? Or is it not worth trying to break in another vendor and I should just go with the Venolias or Wisecos?

...and, since it's been so long since I messed with one of these things...who's doing good calibrations these days for the 87 CSX electronics?

My main goal for the car is a fun driver; street beater from time to time; and a reliable, "wow-what-the-hell-was-that" bracket car. Lately the only boost I've been getting has been the 30psi out of the Cummins; time for TD fun again :D

cordes
02-03-2007, 01:32 PM
IMO the best person for custom cals these days is yourself. It is just too easy to do a little reading to not take advantage of all the info there is out there.

As far as the pistons, I would just go with a know manufacturer as they have already done the research, and I don't think you could have a better deal, or a better product elsewhere.

Aries_Turbo
02-04-2007, 12:35 AM
yup, check out cordes's site on how to burn cals, go over to www.moparchem.com and look around, and visit these two threads.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11079
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10024

Brian

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2007, 12:49 AM
You seem to have your bases covered. For the street, I would go Wiseco or JE, I know you didn't mention them but I run them now and there strong and quiet, even when you melt the head, :wow1:

Anyhow, I guess it comes to price and how long? if CPP can make them and there cheaper, then you know what to do.

As for cals, doing them yourself is great, I have a thread started as I am want to start-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11079

Or Cindy at FWD is the only one doing cals right now, TU was but you'll be waiting for awhile, Paul who does the cals is mega backed up and months behind.

Aries_Turbo
02-04-2007, 12:58 AM
simon.... you and I posted the same link lol. :)

Brian

cordes
02-04-2007, 01:17 AM

Brian

He has to get that post count up somehow.

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2007, 02:13 AM

Brian

Oh, hahhahaaha, I didn't even notice, I saw the "moparchem" but didn't notice the other links, :banghead: :lol:

He has to get that post count up somehow.

Shhhhhh, you'll let my secret out of the bag, :eyebrows:

TopDollar69
02-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Get a Tial BOV, from my research they are the best.