PDA

View Full Version : 89 Spirit 2.5 T1

3nglenn
01-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Hello all. I've got an 89 2.5 T1 sitting in the garage I'd like to rebuild and I'm wondering: what is the strong and weak points of this year engine? Is it worth even bothering with? It has a mitsu turbo on it which I would trash, replaced with a Garret for sure. Please feel free to speculate and throw out ideas on how you would approach this with three binding factor's- it's to be a daily driver, has to be converted to intercooled status (easy to do, I have all the components) yet needs some mods to give more ummph than it was stock. Hope I'm not being too vague here. It ran good when I yanked it a couple years ago, even though it has 225,000 miles on it. Probably would go back in an 89 Spirit. All input much appreciated (How would you approach this?!). Thanks! G.P. :D

Dave
01-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Personally I would keep everything! The 89 2.5 is the strongest block. Hone out the block and install some forged pistons, Clevite 77 rod and main bearings, and a Melling high volume oil pump. I'd also take out the balance shafts and plug up the oil feed hole.

Definately put the Garrett on. What kind of intercooler will you be using?

3nglenn
01-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey Bryan! Thanks for the input. Right now I'm not sure about intercoolers, cause I'm really debating on dropping that 2.5 into my 86 SC. Been doing a lot of browsing around seeing how other guys are modding their SC's from a fabrication and wiring stand point. I don't know, so many options to consider. Your suggestions would definitely make for a bullet-proof base to build off of. Probably will just leave my T2 2.2 Spirit alone for now, with the exception of adding a fifth injector so I can get back up to 16# of boost. She's got a new clutch now too, a T2/T3 combo I got from Cindy....Anyway,I could go on for hours. Lots of research to do.... Thanks again:thumb: G.P.

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2006, 10:15 PM
What Bryan said but exnay the HV pump, not needed on a daily driver and sucks HP. Port the head or clean it up, 2.5 inch mandrel exhaust. Have the bores checked, it might need an overbore so do that before you order new pistons and rings. Use ARP studs and a Mopar headgasket.

3nglenn
01-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks Simon! More good advice. I'm very lucky too, my boss at work builds motors on the side, stockers and racers (mostly drag and roundy-rounds) He's one of the best in the northeast and I know he's itchen' to do something different, so the price will be right... I showed him the specs on Stephane's car (and others) and his jaw dropped to the floor... "they're getting those numbers with stock Turbo 4-bangers?!?!"....:eyebrows: Ah it's going to be a good year.:nod:
Thanks again. G.P.

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2006, 05:02 AM
No problem. In rereading your original post, theres nothing wrong with the internals, there strong enough to take 350 whp easily. Just freshen up the rods, shot peen, ARP fasteners on rods, mains and head. I would personally have it balanced-makes a world of difference, toss the balance shafts. I said 2.5 inch exhaust but if your going wild, then 3 inch with matching DP and SV, and of course again, depending on goals, a TU cal, 255 intank pump.

Dave
01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Damn those HV pumps... oh well my van will be making plenty of power to spare. :D hehe

slasky
01-25-2006, 09:03 AM
I have an 89 2.5 in my charger. I hope to put down 300+ whp when I take it to the dyno day in May.

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I have an 89 2.5 in my charger. I hope to put down 300+ whp when I take it to the dyno day in May.

I'm aiming for 350 whp, :thumb: