PDA

View Full Version : Head coming together.

TurbododgePirate
02-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Well, I stopped by the machine shop today, and my INDY cylinder head is coming together finally. They had to order new valve springs because mine were all over the place. Literally you could look at them on a flat surface and see they were not all the same height. Anyway, ARP rod bolts are in the 2.5 rods, JE pistons are in, and things are finally starting to move forward.

Now if I can just get the damned megasquirt fixed I'll be in good shape.

~~H

turbovanmanČ
02-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Sweet, post pics when done, :thumb:

Speedeuphoria
02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
what valve springs / cams are you using?
Should have lmk, I have 2 extra sets of stock valve springs, 1 is new and cryo'd, oh well

TurbododgePirate
02-02-2007, 10:10 AM
what valve springs / cams are you using?
Should have lmk, I have 2 extra sets of stock valve springs, 1 is new and cryo'd, oh well

Well, I appreciate it anyway. I didn't know until they told me that they had ordered new springs.

I do need to get a new intake cam though. Neon DOHC stock.

BadAssPerformance
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
How much rpm / cam lift are the stock springs good for?

Frank
02-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I was just going to ask the same thing. I would love to know the full specs on the springs so I could find a set that is higher spring rate and seat while having a lower bind height for a little more lift?

Speedeuphoria
02-02-2007, 11:47 AM
they make crane springs for $90 from summit, I think someone broke one w/ Crane 24 cams, thats about it
also Crowers for $110 or so(little stiffer)

but also this from SRTforums

I used to build Scott Mohler's motors and we would shift at 10,700 with stock retainers and off the shelf crane springs and .494 lift cams.. So if you running 18's and shifting at 7500 you'll not have a problem..

basically they say stock springs on 2.0 cams its all good, but there are a few happinings where one gave out somewhere above 7-7500rpms(not sure) and also where few people had probs w/ stock rocker arms cracking/breaking.

If you have the head off I would get some crane springs for $90 and then later you can do all the cam swaping you want.
There is also a thread on srtforums about using a DSM intake cam as the 2.4 exhaust cam

Frank
02-02-2007, 12:35 PM
WOW! That is alot of lift! I wonder what the clearence is for pistons to valves! That is awesome!

contraption22
02-02-2007, 01:31 PM
The stock Neon DOHC springs are junk, and are known to be a problem on completely stock cars.

My brother is using Crane springs on his Neon.

TurbododgePirate
02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
My replacements are cranes :)