PDA

View Full Version : Which SRT clutch?

Reeves
01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Looking for a good performance clutch for the SRT. There seems to be MANY options and many differences in $$$.

I need a clutch that can handle an 11 second car on slicks that gets launched hard and has no weight reduction from stock.

It also needs to be tame on the street....within reason.

Experience?

belvedere383
01-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Rage-tek offers a really nice twin disk, if that is what your looking for.
i think it is $1100, if you were looking cheaper, i would go with the DCR Clutch, it has a hell of a break-in procedure but it is supposed to handle the power well.

Miles

Reeves
01-30-2007, 10:38 PM
$1100? And twin disk? In the words of Charlie Brown "Oh Brother..."

Man, it sucks sometimes that there is aftermarket for these cars unlike the old school mopars! I mean my OMNI has a dual diaphram pressure plate made all of stock parts and a fancy dancy 4 puck disc....to the tune of $300? Maybe it was $250? NOT $1100!! Does an srt have so much more torque than my OMNI that it needs a twin disk?
:lol:

And break in...what's that she-ot? I put a clutch in the OMNI and go f'n race it. Or, maybe drive it to work, or maybe go cruising looking for trouble....I don't do no stinkin break in!

Sorry...needed to vent...I asked the question on Turbo-Mopar hoping to get a answer like "Well, for $50 you can take a spring out a 307 Chevy Nova and machine it down .011" and stick it in your pressure plate and get 2900 lbs on a clutch disc made for a Fiat. That will hold a 11 second car!"

belvedere383
01-30-2007, 10:42 PM
well your kinda limited becasue and SRT-4 uses a modular type clutch, which is all one piece, flywheel, pressure plate, and disk, so it bascially goes in like a torque converter, really sucks i know, but the cheapest one is the mopar Stage 1 i think, and it is still like $350. Sorry no junkyard tricks for the srt yet. HAHA

Miles

BadAssPerformance
01-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I beleive that ACT has a non-modular clutch for SRT-4's, not sure how much tho.

LOL, I'd go ahead and try the $50 SBC clutch mod Reeves! :thumb:

Reeves
01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
How's the ma-mopar stage 1 been holding up for guys? Do they make a stage 2 or 3?

I'll check them all out....and keep the suggestions coming. I didn't mean to come off as a hard ---...I'm just getting fed up with hype on these cars.

belvedere383
01-30-2007, 10:56 PM
yea i think the ACT one is still like $475 for the stage 1, but dont quote me cause i didnt look it up. And just on a side note ACT clutches kinda suck imo.

Miles

BadAssPerformance
01-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Just curious, why do you say ACT clutches suck? the ACT clutch in my Z works decent.

belvedere383
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
they havent had very good luck with them in SRT applications, and most people with high horsepower cars dont run them, they are kind of a mild clutch even in the honda world. Didnt mean to hate.

Miles

Reeves
01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Have a link for the DCR clutch? Can't seem to find a website...

Reeves
01-30-2007, 11:24 PM
And what about clutchnet? Any good clutches there?

belvedere383
01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
http://darrellcoxracing.net/productlist.pdf

like halfway down is the clutch. $575 haha

Reeves
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I would go with $575 IF I knew for a FACT that it worked. You know?

belvedere383
01-30-2007, 11:40 PM
yea, apparently it works very well, nice pedal and super strong. But it has this weird pad material, so their break in has all these weird specs you need to go by. Some people just installed then ripped on it and it slipped immediately.

Miles

Chris W
01-31-2007, 12:10 AM
I would go with $575 IF I knew for a FACT that it worked. You know?

We have some options for you. Contact me tomorrow.

Chris-TU

turboweasel
01-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Just dont get the center force clutch it is a POS. Only lasted about 20,000 miles with street tires. Just not worth the money i payed for it. The Rage-tek clutch is good. Some people have been haveing good luck with the clutchmasters clutches.

Rob

contraption22
01-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Sorry...needed to vent...I asked the question on Turbo-Mopar hoping to get a answer like "Well, for $50 you can take a spring out a 307 Chevy Nova and machine it down .011" and stick it in your pressure plate and get 2900 lbs on a clutch disc made for a Fiat. That will hold a 11 second car!"

Do a search on SRTforums for "Nova Clutch Mod". The light duty 307 clutch won't hold up past 177lb-ft of torque. You need to get the disc for a 11" '70 SS396 with a Muncie M21. You must also get the input shaft of the M21, and use that. Basically all you need is the splined section, so a little but of cutting and some JB weld should hold it in place. But if you wanna get FANCY, call up DCR. Provide him with 4 live chickens, the blood of a virgin alpacca, and some really good Dominican weed and he can JB weld it for you. Turnaround time is 6-8 years. If you want a streetable pressure plate, use one from an '86 Chevy Spectrum Turbo. Here is where it gets tricky. You have to convert to a mechanical clutch linkage from a Ford Thunderbolt. They are easy to find in yards, just look for the teardrop-shaped hoodscoop. The only pedal you can use can be found in most old-school speedshops.... its shaped like a large foot and chrome plated. BLING yo!

contraption22
01-31-2007, 10:21 AM

Do a search on SRTforums for "Nova Clutch Mod". The light duty 307 clutch won't hold up past 177lb-ft of torque. You need to get the disc for a 11" '70 SS396 with a Muncie M21. You must also get the input shaft of the M21, and use that. Basically all you need is the splined section, so a little but of cutting and some JB weld should hold it in place. But if you wanna get FANCY, call up DCR. Provide him with 4 live chickens, the blood of a virgin alpacca, and some really good Dominican weed and he can JB weld it for you. Turnaround time is 6-8 years. If you want a streetable pressure plate, use one from an '86 Chevy Spectrum Turbo. Here is where it gets tricky. You have to convert to a mechanical clutch linkage from a Ford Thunderbolt. They are easy to find in yards, just look for the teardrop-shaped hoodscoop. The only pedal you can use can be found in most old-school speedshops.... its shaped like a large foot and chrome plated. BLING yo!

In all seriousness, I know about a year ago, the Centerforce was supposedly a good setup. I had never heard good things about Centerforce in high-torque applications prior to that, so I had my doubts, but several people were using them with good luck with upgraded turbos. I know the Mopar clutch holds up very well to S3 cars, some of which are in the high 11's.

Reeves
01-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Good info! I'm headed to the yards!

TurbododgePirate
01-31-2007, 07:01 PM
James, have you read over on the neon boards?

They are taking a new neon aluminum fidanza flywheel, with the 9 inch friction surface, and using a Audi pressure plate. Then you can use any large splined old school turbododge clutch you want. Chris ought to have plenty of options for you there.

See... there still are cheapasses cobbling things together.

See this thread http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=244304

Reeves
02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
That is a very confusing thread!
And some people are having problems with it now.

TurboGLH
02-05-2007, 02:35 PM
That is a very confusing thread!
And some people are having problems with it now.

+1 I read through the whole thing and came away confused. It seems like some people are talking about the modular fidanza flywheel, while some are talking about the non-mod fidanza and some are talking about the 95 regular.....hard to make heads or tails.

TurbododgePirate
02-05-2007, 03:30 PM
They are talking about the NEW non-modular fidenza because it has the correct size friction surface at 9". AudI PP, and turbododge clutch of your choice.

belvedere383
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
or you could just stop running around and buy an SRT-4 Clutch and be done with it.

Miles

TurbododgePirate
02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
or you could just stop running around and buy an SRT-4 Clutch and be done with it.

Miles

But I already HAVE a srt4 clutch :)

TurboGLH
02-06-2007, 12:09 AM
They are talking about the NEW non-modular fidenza because it has the correct size friction surface at 9". AudI PP, and turbododge clutch of your choice.

So, would this new non-modular FW have the same dimensions as the 95' oem flywheel? I'd prefer a steel/cast iron vs an aluminum in my car as I plan to switch to an auto and I don't want to spend $350 on a FW that's going to get minimal use. The clutch is a mater of necessity however, T3/T4 FTW.

TurbododgePirate
02-06-2007, 04:05 PM
So, would this new non-modular FW have the same dimensions as the 95' oem flywheel? I'd prefer a steel/cast iron vs an aluminum in my car as I plan to switch to an auto and I don't want to spend $350 on a FW that's going to get minimal use. The clutch is a mater of necessity however, T3/T4 FTW.

Possibly.. From the neon thread: Not sure if you can turn the stock neon flywheel enough to get the correct step height..
Neon step height is .296
Audi step height is .344

At least that's how I understand it.

Reeves
02-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I think when they are talking step height, they are talking about the modular clutches.
I was wanting to know if I can score a 95 neon non-modular flywheel, a Audi PP, and a old school turbo dodge disc of my choice and make it all work?
I'm trying to get a Mopar Performance clutch now....seems like it'll work for what I need to do... ??

TurboGLH
02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I think when they are talking step height, they are talking about the modular clutches.
I was wanting to know if I can score a 95 neon non-modular flywheel, a Audi PP, and a old school turbo dodge disc of my choice and make it all work?
I'm trying to get a Mopar Performance clutch now....seems like it'll work for what I need to do... ??

That's exactly what I want to know, but the thread has no direction, just people talking back and forth about different parts.