PDA

View Full Version : FIXED IT!! Now on to other issues

Gearjamer
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
First I would like to thank all who have replyed and keept me on track. The final fix to the no rev issue on my 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby was the timing. I probably should have checked this first. It was set at est. 25-30 deg after. I don't even know how it kept running. I disconnected the temp sending unit and set the timing to 12btdc and it came alive. I also had to fix a few vacuum issues like the turbo bypass valve being connected to the emissions purge canister.

Here are the other issues. 1 it looks like it's leaking from the valve cover....alot! Is there any other place that is a known leak point I should look at. 2 No speed registers on the speedo it's at 0 the whole time. I will look at the transducer on the tranny for this... but where is it? 3 the boost is very low less than 5. Is this because I'm not getting a speed reading?

Thanks again guys. My 600.00 project seems to be paying off.

85shelbycharger
01-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Well the odometers on the '87-'89 Daytonas are notorious for not working. The speed sensor is on the back of the transmission, above the right side where the axle goes in.

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Valve cover gasket is either hard or was installed incorrectly. The cam plug and camshaft seal are other leak areas, as well as the turbo drain, both crank seals.

Boost could be due to a vacuum routing issue. Hook the wastegate up to manifold vacuum without the restrictor, you should get around 4-5 psi. This will confirm the turbo works and the wastegate can is ok.

Honestly, a MBC or manual boost controller is the way to go, you got more boost early and don't mess up like the stockers do. Any of our fine vendors carry them.

Gearjamer
01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys,

Here is what I've found out. I pulled the transducer from the transmission and plugged it in. When I manually spin it I get a reading on the speedo. What inside the tranny could be bad and cause it not to spin. Also it's a 2 wire unit. Isn't it suppost to be a 3 wire? I'm putting on a new timing belt, new front crank seal, new front cam seal, new valve cover gasket (1 piece rubber from carquest), plugs, wires, cap, rotor. The fuel filter looks new. I'll let you guys know how I fair.

Bill

Mike M
01-30-2007, 11:35 PM
The passenger side axle is splined to drive the speedometer gear, I highly doubt there is a problem with the axle.

On the speed sensor itself, is the gear in good shape - not worn or chewed up?

If its not that, it might possibly have been a bad electrical connection, I hear the connectors are somewhat prone to getting oily and acting up/not working. Maybe unplugging it/plugging it backed in made it start working.

I think they are all 2 wire units from my experience.

Good luck!

Gearjamer
01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
More than a few things are oily on the lower half of the engine. It looks like the valve cover gasket was not done right. The person I got the car from said they replaced it but I think it needs a little more. I've got a new all rubber 1 piece that I will put on tomorrow. Right now I'm working on the timing belt. It looks like things were a tooth off. The issue I'm having now is there is a spacer that is on top of the crank gear. Dose this need to come off? It looks like it has a timing mark (dot) on it. Can I use this or do I need to pull it off to get to the crank gear?