PDA

View Full Version : TII L-body electronics to 87 TII electronics

Clay
01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Ok, from what Ive found/read/researched, in order to convert an 86/87 L-body to 87 TII electronics (i.e. 87 daytona, shadow, lebaron, etc) You have to perform 3 basic steps:

(1) Swap wire #14 on blue connector to location #9 on the red connector.

(2) Swap wire #4 on blue connector to location #4 on red connector.

(3) Install new map sensor.
(installation of map sensor involves:
(a) running a 5V+ input voltage wire from the #1 location on the red connector to the MAP sensor
(b) running a MAP sensor output wire to the #19 location on the blue connector, (c)and then running a short ground wire from the MAP to a sutible ground)

Correct?

86Shelby
01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Sounds about right, only a few wires need to be changed around. I don't have the diagrams handy to verify. Don't forget to add the 2 wires for the AIS.

Clay
01-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Don't forget to add the 2 wires for the AIS.

true if your going from TI, Im going from TII, so Ive already got wires. :)

daytonaturbo87
02-01-2007, 09:05 PM
What about the speed sensor? Your T2 LM will throw a code back to you for that if it's a non-L body T2 LM. I realize you got the cable driven speedo so you don't need the speed sensor for that, but some people have driveability problems without the speed sensor. I know my fuel mileage went down when my speed sensor died. Yes I did drive some good distances without a speedo, haha, probably put 1 or 2 thousand kms on like that(computer driven speedo also). But I could tell just by how fast the needle was going down during my normal driving routine that mileage did suffer somewhat. It still ran/drove fine but this was on a tbi.

Clay
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I dont have the paper work in front of me right now, but one of the wire swaps is for the speed sensor.

trust me, Im not the first person to do this at all. Im just double checking.

1985ShlbyChrger
02-02-2007, 12:16 AM
You've got the right idea. I did the same thing on my Omni. I actually used the engine bay map sensor wires from a TII Daytona so that i didn't cut and splice any wires. I just took all the pins out of the LM connector in the Daytona harness and swapped them into the right spot on the Omni harness. you have the idea though, those two pins need to be moved but the computer will recognize the speed sensor, you should be good there. Hope this helps.

Nate

4 l-bodies
02-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Ok, from what Ive found/read/researched, in order to convert an 86/87 L-body to 87 TII electronics (i.e. 87 daytona, shadow, lebaron, etc) You have to perform 3 basic steps:

(1) Swap wire #14 on blue connector to location #9 on the red connector.

(2) Swap wire #4 on blue connector to location #4 on red connector.

(3) Install new map sensor.
(installation of map sensor involves:
(a) running a 5V+ input voltage wire from the #1 location on the red connector to the MAP sensor
(b) running a MAP sensor output wire to the #19 location on the blue connector, (c)and then running a short ground wire from the MAP to a sutible ground)

Correct?

You are 100% correct sir. Hiho...(sorry Ed McMahon took over my head for a second). Map ground ties in to black w/lb* tracer wire underhood, which ultimately comes back to Red 25 (sensor ground).
You will also need to run two additional wires from AIS to R16 (bk/yellow*) and to R20 (vt/bk*) if you converting from a pull thru throttle body.
Todd Nelson