PDA

View Full Version : Minivan vs. Berretta (and Neon [VID])

Dave
01-29-2007, 09:16 PM
I caught the minivan bug. :yuck:

After I raced him I ran against my dad in our 04 Neon SXT 5spd, with just a CAI. With all the mods I have I should have beaten him. I still have the back seat and spare tire in, as well as my 160lb friend filming. The first race we went from a dig and I spun hard through, first, I hooked and stayed even, then I hit 3rd gear and he started walking. 2nd race we went from 15mph, spooled up slow, but he again walked me. :confused:

Should my van not be in the 15's running 13psi?? Maybe it's pulling a bit of knock b/c of all that extra air. But I should've raped him. He went a 16.4 in the Neon last summer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aSD1VYg9Uhg

BARRON
01-30-2007, 07:52 PM
HAHA!!! WOOHOO!! thats great!! People in the back seat an everything! Dude that looked awesome!!

So.. in the Beretta race.. was your van in 1st gear at the hit? The performance of the beretta should be on par with the performance of my friends 03' ecotec sunfire that I raced. Its gonna be cool to pull that much harder when I get up to your specs.

With your setup.. you GOTTA be in the 14's... or sumting WONG,

Dave
01-31-2007, 10:12 AM
I was in 1st, doing about 20 mph with the Berretta. This turbo is freakin' awesome. No longer do I feel the weak vavletrain stop me at 5,400, this thing pulls all the way to 6k. In fact, the 2-3 shift wrapped out to 6k, that's why you hear the BOV twice at the end, I had to let off to get the line pressure down so it would shift. ;)

I checked cam timing and ignition timing, everything is bang on. I'm confused, pissed, depressed, emo. Unless my dad was sprayin' me in the Neon, I can't see why I didn't rape him.

BARRON
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Yah.. my kickdown cable is shortened down a bit so I DONT have to lift for it to shift. I was slamming the rev limiter in a hurry. As for the performance issues you seem to be talking about,your van was probably feather footed around early in its life. Of course my engine is fresh and I broke it in the right way..the HARD way! lol! As for mine I have never seen anything haul like this at 7-8psi.

Your van beat on that Beretta bretty bad BUT it cant be THAT much slower than an ecotec sunfire. The sunfire has more HP and lighter,but...

Lets see what we can do this summer man. The track isnt too far from me.(1.5hrs) we will have to see who can hobble down the 1/4 the fastest.

Just to compare the two cars:

-------Beretta--------
2.8L 60 degree V6
Horsepower 130
Torque (ft-lbs) 160

----Sunfire------
"Ecotec" 2.2-litre I4
Horsepower 140
Torque (ft-lbs) 150

Figure out whats up with yer van dude...I'm not far behind.

BARRON
01-31-2007, 11:34 PM
..and one more thing.. the lack of videos and the lack of responce to them ..is REALLY annoying me.

Dave
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
..and one more thing.. the lack of videos and the lack of responce to them ..is REALLY annoying me.

+1. I love this site but people don't respond to anything here like on TD. :(

Anyways, it was just re-ringed after I wiped out cylinder 1. I broke it in. Wait, no I beat it in. I did just what that site says that Simon posted in the "How to properly break in an engine" thread. I took the city instead of the highway home so I could have a lot of stop/go. Ran it in on 8psi.

I have awesome compression, 130 across the board. But I do have N/A valves with turbo springs but I hear/feel/see no signs of the valves being burnt or blowing up during boost.

I still think it's pulling knock out because of the large turbo.

QC DSM ESiT
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Lets see what we can do this summer man. The track isnt too far from me.(1.5hrs) we will have to see who can hobble down the 1/4 the fastest.

Don't forget me. I plan on getting mine faster this summer too. I still need to replace the tranny in my Saab and then I can drive that while the van is being worked on.

Dave to give you a referance my Mini on the stock turbo runing 12PSI was doing a 16.1 quarter. With you setup you should be well into the 14's I would think. You should have raped the Neon. There must be something wrong with the van or the Neon had something in it that they didn't tell ya about.

I would make some videos myself but my video camera got stolen. :(

BIG PSI
02-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Don't forget me. I plan on getting mine faster this summer too. I still need to replace the tranny in my Saab and then I can drive that while the van is being worked on.

Dave to give you a referance my Mini on the stock turbo runing 12PSI was doing a 16.1 quarter. With you setup you should be well into the 14's I would think. You should have raped the Neon. There must be something wrong with the van or the Neon had something in it that they didn't tell ya about.

I would make some videos myself but my video camera got stolen. :(

I will tell you how I beat BRYAN in the MINI VAN with me in the NEON.

It is W-E-I-G-H-T !!!!

There was just me in the NEON. Bryan had his back seat, his spare tire, his trailer hitch, and he had a 180 pound rider..

Age and wisdom WON !!!!!!!

The Dad

Dave
02-03-2007, 07:37 AM
I have the spare out, I'm removing the back seat, and I'll stuff someone in the Neon to film. I'm sure it didn't help that both races I spun through 1st. :(

I'm so sad. I just had a dream that I ran a 15.4 with a 2.5 60'. God this van creeps me out!

BIG PSI
02-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I just had a dream that I ran a 15.4 with a 2.5 60'. God this van creeps me out!

HA HA HA----you said; " I had a dream "

GLHSKEN
02-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Stock head + big turbo = no increase in power at lower boost levels. 13 is low. The cars wake up at 15+ psi. It's like a different animal.

GLHSKEN
02-03-2007, 10:16 AM

It is a different audiance here. Video's of vans racing N/a neons don't do much to elicite responses.

Dave
02-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Stock head + big turbo = no increase in power at lower boost levels. 13 is low. The cars wake up at 15+ psi. It's like a different animal.

Makes sense to me, though I notice it does pull all the way to 6,000. My dad's Acclaim doesn't pull like mine (mitsu, T2 i/c, P&P head). I'm sure there's no increase in power, maybe just a tad, but it does not fall off past 5,400 like a mitsu.

Vigo
02-03-2007, 07:33 PM
But I should've raped him.

I can't see why I didn't rape him.

You should have raped the Neon.

Trying to set a record for insensitivity eh?

cool race, i agree with the vid thing but fact is its a pita to set up a race with a camera man etc unless you just kinda already have it.

BARRON
02-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Eh Ken.. what can I say.. I am easily amused. :)

Stock head + big turbo = no increase in power at lower boost levels.

BUT.. a ported head,exhaust mani and a garret turbo EVEN at stockish PSI = W00T!

Dave
02-03-2007, 09:02 PM
There's a lot of forceful penetration on the Neon here. ;)

BARRON
02-03-2007, 09:09 PM
^ oooo boy

GET ON AIM once in a while will ya?!

Dave
02-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm in! :cool:

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Ken said exactly what I was going to say, 13 psi on that turbo and its still sleeping. I was playing with my MBC tonight and it was boosting at 15 psi, felt like I was going backwards over my previous setting of 20-23 psi.
13 psi WILL NOT net you low 14's, you might run some mid 15's. Is that a G-head or Swirl as the G-head will make it worse. Oh, I just realized, no IC so thats another negative for you.

Bryan, I will say this once and if I was you, have it put on a card and laminated, then put it where you can see it. VANS DO NOT respond to mods like cars do, repeat, VANS DO NOT respond to mods like cars do. You have way more mass, no aerodyamics, front end of a brick etc. If you accept this, you will have alot of fun. If you chose to ignore that statement, you will come to hate your van.

BUT.. a ported head,exhaust mani and a garret turbo EVEN at stockish PSI = W00T!

Nope, turbo is barely awake.

BTW, fun vid, :nod: :partywoot: :wave1:

Was that a GTZ with the Quad 4 or does it have the V6?

ShelbyTurbo
02-04-2007, 01:56 AM
The Beretta looked like it was a GTU, and a turd at that, you should've walked him way harder.

BARRON
02-04-2007, 09:21 AM
The Beretta was a 2.8L V6 5-sp. ..or does extra letters give a 2.8 more power?

Dave
02-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Simon we have a F350 intercooler on the way. That and once I hook up the alky I'll have a fun time at 14psi.

I still have a 782 head and will be building a 782 +1 head. I like the low end torque, it will especially be needed in a van. I can hook these cars up pretty well. ;)

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2007, 05:13 PM
The Beretta was a 2.8L V6 5-sp. ..or does extra letters give a 2.8 more power?

That Beretta was a 2.8L? Those cars came with the 2.0, 2.2, 2.3 Quad 4, 2.8, 3.1 and 3100.

Simon we have a F350 intercooler on the way. That and once I hook up the alky I'll have a fun time at 14psi.

I still have a 782 head and will be building a 782 +1 head.

Nice to know but at 14 psi, the turbo is still sleeping.

BIG PSI
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
The kid with the Berretta stopped by the house this afternoon and was telling me that "the race was close, if had started in first gear instead of second he would have one". So I asked him how close was it ? He said that he was on Byran's Mini Van's Bumper ????

It sure looked liked he way way the heck back there to me.....
Must be a LOOOOOOOOOoooooooonnnnnnnng Bumper.

Chuck

Ground Rat
02-05-2007, 02:34 AM
VANS DO NOT respond to mods like cars do, repeat, VANS DO NOT respond to mods like cars do. You have way more mass, no aerodyamics, front end of a brick etc. If you accept this, you will have alot of fun. If you chose to ignore that statement, you will come to hate your van.
But, our vans have a longer chassis which is great for traction in a FWD. The longer chassis is going to be really nice once we start making some real power. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2007, 04:58 AM
But, our vans have a longer chassis which is great for traction in a FWD. The longer chassis is going to be really nice once we start making some real power. :thumb:

I don't know about that, I can only muster 1.9's with slicks. The sheer mass of our vans makes it hard to launch as we need more power.

Dave
02-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't know about that, I can only muster 1.9's with slicks. The sheer mass of our vans makes it hard to launch as we need more power.

Just curious, how many psi are you coming out at?? What RPMs? Do you get right into her or do you have to eaze out of the hole?

I know the turbo is still sleeping at 14psi. Trust me, every time I get into it it wants to keep spinning. At the right RPM it slams right to 12psi and you can feel how it wants to keep pushing more boost. Well it's the intercooler first, a transmission (still debating on keeping the auto or stuffin' in a stick), motor mounts, then the fuel and mo' boost. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Just curious, how many psi are you coming out at?? What RPMs? Do you get right into her or do you have to eaze out of the hole?

:

10-15 psi, depending on conditions. RPM, no idea, I go by sound and boost. Ease out of the hole or they just light up.

I am going with 24.5 inch slicks this summer, :D :partywoot:

Vigo
02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
There's a lot of forceful penetration on the Neon here.

eh, when it happens to you you wont joke about it, me thinks. but any toning down is still toning down. :)

BARRON
02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
So I asked him how close was it ? He said that he was on Byran's Mini Van's Bumper ????

It sure looked liked he way way the heck back there to me.....
Must be a LOOOOOOOOOoooooooonnnnnnnng Bumper.

Chuck

I have raced no one in my minivan that will tell the whole story.

It takes having NO pride and saintly honesty.

turbovanmanČ
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
I have raced no one in my minivan that will tell the whole story.

It takes having NO pride and saintly honesty.

Thats funny, last year, I was playing with this hopped up 2nd Gen RX7 on the road, I was easily keeping up to him and the looks he gave me were sooooooooo funny. A few weeks go by and I had to get some parts from the Rotary guys, well guess what, he worked there and was like WTF did you do to the van? To this day, he talks up my van. He also ran his car at the track, mid to high 13's on street tires so he was even more impressed at my brick, :partywoot:

DodgeZ
02-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I still think it's pulling knock out because of the large turbo.

Are you a detective? :D

Dave
02-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Are you a detective? :D

Has anyone ever told you that you're beautiful when you're a smartass. ;) heh.. heh....

DodgeZ
02-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Has anyone ever told you that you're beautiful when you're a smartass. ;) heh.. heh....

No, I have been working at it for years. Thank you. :lol:

Ondonti
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM

I still have a 782 head and will be building a 782 +1 head. I like the low end torque, it will especially be needed in a van. I can hook these cars up pretty well. ;)
Seems like way too much intercooling (the FMIC and alky) for 14psi boost on an 8:1 motor.
Get yourself setup to run past the stock boost cutout if you are going to bother with all that "intercooling"

Dave
02-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Seems like way too much intercooling (the FMIC and alky) for 14psi boost on an 8:1 motor.
Get yourself setup to run past the stock boost cutout if you are going to bother with all that "intercooling"

I "plan" to run 26psi this Spring. ;)

turbovanmanČ
02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
How are you going to fit the PS IC with your a/c?

Dave
02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Simon, I swear it wasn't my decision!! Dad said he would buy it if I took the A/C out. BLAME HIM!!! :(

I'll try to install the A/C after it's home.

turbovanmanČ
02-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Hahaha, oh well, you'll find out why a van needs a/c when summer hits, :eyebrows: :lol:

BARRON
02-13-2007, 07:54 AM
You have 6 windows to open and a big vent in front of the driver... there is sufficent air movement.

But then again... where I live 85F is a killer hot day too.

Dave
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
lol yah 80's is normal Ohio in Summer. Like I said, I'm gonna try to reinstall it. But for now, for simplicity, it's going. I'm kind of disapointed in its performance. The other day I raced a Camaro RS and tied with it. Those go reportedly 16.8's. I understand it's heavy, but for a 3" exhaust, big turbo, and 13psi, I should be in the 15's.

When it comes back if I can tear up my dad's Neon I'll know for sure as that runs low 16's.

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
lol yah 80's is normal Ohio in Summer. Like I said, I'm gonna try to reinstall it. But for now, for simplicity, it's going. I'm kind of disapointed in its performance. The other day I raced a Camaro RS and tied with it. Those go reportedly 16.8's. I understand it's heavy, but for a 3" exhaust, big turbo, and 13psi, I should be in the 15's.

When it comes back if I can tear up my dad's Neon I'll know for sure as that runs low 16's.

What have I told you young man, they don't react the same as cars, it took me years to accept that.

13 psi is a tad over stock so high 15's at best, even with the big turbo.

Dave
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Yessa masta, Simon. :nod:

BARRON
02-18-2007, 08:35 PM
THats why I am just going to fix up my van,get it looking good,intercool it,set it around 14psi then start at the lebaron.

It may be one of the heavier TD cars but this engine never worked as hard as it does in the van!