PDA

View Full Version : Crank Sensor

ssheen
01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I am curious about pics, info about setups with a crank sensor. How the sensor was mounted, where the TDC mark was done.

Frank
01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
You mean for an R/T? That is the only car from the originial TM series that has a crank sensor and it is done on the flywheel but has been known to be relocated.

ssheen
01-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Sure, but not necessarly. After market stuff too, as that is what I am doing. I need to track when TDC is. I was thinking of marking the crank pulley, but was thinking that may not be the best to be able to line it up with the sensor. Also curious about how people mounted the sensor.

Frank
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Well each aftermarket system has different methods and requirements. What system are you looking to install?

Thinks to consider is it a VR or Hall or Optical? While TDC, does it have to be mounted before actual TDC?

ssheen
01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
If I go aftermarket, I was thinking MegaSquirt. However, this is not for that. At least not immediately. (A little off topic, why go megasquirt when we can do custom cals??) This is something else I am playing with. :D

I need to know TDC exact and have the wheel or pulley marked in 20 degree increments. I was thinking Optical. Open to ideas suggestions.

Frank
01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Why do you need to know TDC? Without knowing more details, the signal quality desired, it is hard to say what you need. Optical is out unless inside a clean distributor.

Frank

Speedeuphoria
01-29-2007, 02:41 PM
My hall sensor for SDS has a line on it for the trigger pickup, I got TDC, then mounted the sensor ~80^ from the #1 magnet. I also marked the pulley TDC compared to the sensor.

Then start it up and shoot a timing light(no advance) while the ign timing is also set to 0, and line up the 2 lines(pulley to hall sensor) using the magnet position in the SDS you have 15 degrees or so either way to adjust to get it on the money

Bolted the bracket to where the A/C bracket was bolted(2.4) used some sturdy steel to fab a bracket. I could of used the hyd tensioner mounting points , but It looked to get in the way of the pwr steering belt removal(but after messing w/ the alt and intake, I have to pretty much take the pulley off to get the belts off anyway)