PDA

View Full Version : custom headgasket

Aries_Turbo
01-28-2007, 01:59 AM
for those who have finished/are working on a 16v conversion using the later stratus/neon head.... with the plugging and machining that is involved, might it be easier to have a custom headgasket made to cover most of the ports that need to be plugged and plug the rest.

Chris at TU could probably have Cometic make one pretty easily. take a few pics of a neon MLS and a td gasket and cross out the holes in each that you dont want added. the remaining ones would be the correct ones. Cometic makes both so it should be cake for them.

now i know that some parts of the head overhang off of the td block but what ports need to be plugged that overhang?

reason Im asking is that i might go 16v. having a custom HG that blocks some of the ports would make it easier cause I wouldnt have spend the cash in machining costs. I could plug the holes in the parts of the head that overhang the block and not worry about machining them smooth. just make sure the plugs are recessed. then slap the custom gasket in and bada-bing, bolt the head on. id still have to make drain and feed lines but thats easy. :)

any thoughts.

Brian

cordes
01-28-2007, 02:02 AM
That sounds like a good idea. Especially if you are going to go with a cometic gasket anyway, you would save some pretty good cash.

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Absolutely brilliant, glad I thought of it, :lol:

WVRampage
01-28-2007, 11:38 AM
It would make things alot easier.

Aries_Turbo
01-28-2007, 11:38 PM
yeah I think i am going to get a hold of a head and I have a spare block and I'll start working on getting some ideas about which to use. I think I'll start with a MLS and an 005 MP gasket. some changes might be the MP 005 size holes in the location of the MLS ones so we'll see. i dont know when I'll get around to it though. :)

I really think this is the way I want to go though. :)

Brian

Aries_Turbo
01-28-2007, 11:39 PM
oh and BTW, when using a 2.5L piston, do the valves hit the piston? im gonna check anyway but i cant remeber if they hit or not. I know they do with the 2.2 but I was unsure on the 2.5L

thanks

Brian

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2007, 11:41 PM
oh and BTW, when using a 2.5L piston, do the valves hit the piston? im gonna check anyway but i cant remeber if they hit or not. I know they do with the 2.2 but I was unsure on the 2.5L

thanks

Brian

No, freewheeling.

Aries_Turbo
01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Simon,

just in case there is a misunderstanding, i meant with the 2.5L slugs (i have JE's so i might need to get cuts anyway) with the neon 16v head with the 2.0L cams and the valves at full open and the piston the whole way up. :)

thanks

Brian

turbovanmanČ
01-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Simon,

just in case there is a misunderstanding, i meant with the 2.5L slugs (i have JE's so i might need to get cuts anyway) with the neon 16v head with the 2.0L cams and the valves at full open and the piston the whole way up. :)

thanks

Brian

Well from what I have read, and what Russ and others have told us, the 2.5 and the Neon head the valves won't touch. Of course, I have never tried it. And yes, I understand, hence the freewheeling part, :p