PDA

View Full Version : Diving in: What am I getting in too!

Gearjamer
01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
OK I'm getting a 1989 Daytona Shelby w/auto trans. Here is what I found out about the car today. When it starts it sounds smooth but won't rev and you have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it going. It blew black soot on the driveway. The turbo was replace because when this owner got it the original was seized. It's got all the power options on the inside. The seats are clean but there is a tear in the driver side rib support. The dash is clean and uncracked. Has the original infinity radio. Digital dash works but the guy says it starts to cut in and out when it's been on for a while. Here is the tricky part. I think the motor has been swaped. The odometer states 177k. The motor looks like a turbo 2 motor. The owner also said he got vacuum schmatics off line but they don't make sence. It's still running the auto tranny. Can someone send me pick of what a 2.5l in a shelby car is suppost to look like. I would also like a pic of a turbo 2 motor. And where can I find info on how to identify the two motors. Casting numbers stuff like that. I'm getting the car for 600. He said he had a bunch of calls but the people who really knew about the car were looking for a 5spd turbo 2 car. The motor did leak oil too. Looked like it was coming from behind the cam sprocket. Maybe another leak on the front of the motor. What should I look for? Point me in the right direction. I have alot of experience fixing cars in general but this is my first TD. Thanks again guys!

-Bill

lametec
01-26-2007, 04:13 PM
The engines will look the same whether it's a 2.2 TII or a 2.5 TI. Differences externally are black intake manifold and valve cover on the TII. 2.5's also have a flat bottomed oil pan, while 2.2's have a sump for the oil pump in the middle.

Directconnection
01-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Not sure about the '89 Shelby Daytonas... but the '87 and '88 Shelby Z Daytonas were T-I *IF* they were equipped with an auto transmission.

All T-II powerplants were 2.2. in 1989 and up... all T-I engines were 2.5. So... if your car is an original Shelby daytona with a swapped out 555 manual for the 413 auto, your car would be a true Shelby Daytona with the T-II 2.2 engine. If it is an original Shelby Daytona with auto tranny... then it is a T-I with 2.5. (just so you understand...starting in 1989, Chrysler made 2 displacement turbo engines....2.2 and 2.5 both sharing almost everything except piston, crank, balance shafts and oil pans. 2.5=T-I, 2.2 = T-II if turboed.

Gearjamer
01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'll try to post pics. I'm hoping my estimates about the car are correct. I started it so I could listen for any rod knock. If it is the original motor it has 177k on it. I might be looking at a rebuild. If so I've heard some of the Maserati styled coupes had a 16 valve head. Are these heads worth looking into? If I rebuild this motor its going to be to take some boots from a T3/T4 trim 50 turbonetics 18 psi+

Thanks

Directconnection
01-27-2007, 07:51 PM
The masi head thing is great, but parts are even rarer than the lotus T-III setups and very costly.

If you are going to do a total rebuild on the eninge, an 8v head will easily take 18psi boost from a 50 trim turbo. It'll do 22-24 psi safely as well. Many people have pushed the 50 trim to well over 32psi.

I am guessing that 300whp would easily satisfy you, and a 2.2 with the 50trim you speak of will do that fairly easily as long as you upgrade in a few other key areas.