PDA

View Full Version : LTB/LTT: 90 Daytona VNT Radiator

85shelbycharger
01-26-2007, 11:26 AM
The radiator Billy has for his Daytona IC project appears to be a headache waiting to happen, since the lower two rows of fins are VERY brittle, and thus lead to pipe expansion and eventually leaking of antifreeze.

We are planning on IC'ing his Daytona when I go to put the engine in next week by dropping in a factory, bolt up rad/.ic setup from a 90 Daytona VNT. Does anyone have a spare radiator/ic setup (but minus the intercooler) from a 90 Daytona VNT that they'd be willing to trade, sell, or donate to me? :) I'd be willing to trade my radiator as a core plus some $$$, buy your radiator outright as long as its in better shape than mine, or keep you in mind down the road if you'd help me out and give it to me if yours is getting to be a P.I.A. sitting in the garage hahaa

Shout back and let me know what you may have if anything. If I can't find one, I'll just use mine until it breaks or whatever, but I'd like to prevent that from the get go. :o

Subliminal
01-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm sure you have a reason, but why not just take your current t2 rad in to get recored?

thx138
01-26-2007, 01:00 PM
The T2 rads can be recored, but I have yet to find a shop that can redo a plastic tank vnt rad. Has anyone else had any luck on a vnt rad recore?

DC Turismo
01-26-2007, 01:54 PM
The T2 rads can be recored, but I have yet to find a shop that can redo a plastic tank vnt rad. Has anyone else had any luck on a vnt rad recore?

Exactly

The local rad. shop around here who I've been in touch with said it'd be very pricy, not just because of the plastic end tanks and the brass core, but also because there is no aftermarket radiator listed for these vehicles. The only ones listed for this year, from what I've been told, are the wider ones that 3.0 V6's came equipped with. Even though they do not fit snug into the gap in the rad. support, they still bolt up to factory holes.

That's why I am seeking this specific radiator. Of course I can go get an '88 radiator from a t2 car or even an '89, but they don't bolt up to the factory slots on the '90s due to the change in the rad. support. I prefer to keep everything stock rather than make up brackets to make things work :D

Directconnection
01-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I *might* have one.... I may have to look.

DC Turismo
01-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I *might* have one.... I may have to look.

Thanks! LMK

I may try to move the 3.0 V6 style radiator that I have in there over a bit and attach my IC to it if I can't come across another one.

Whorse
01-27-2007, 09:55 PM
I did that on my car, and while it has amazing cooling, I'm not happy with the look and setup. When I had the VNT intercooler next to it, I had to chop a bit of the side by the body tag to get it to fit (in my lebaron of course).

Directconnection
01-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks! LMK

I may try to move the 3.0 V6 style radiator that I have in there over a bit and attach my IC to it if I can't come across another one.

I'm pretty sure I have the rad, but it's at my mothers place. Being like -10 temps in her unheated barn, and a bit busy... I didn't have time to look.

Won't have time until next weekend. Sorry.

Whorse
01-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I have an old radiator with a good core but bad tanks if anyone thinks it's salvageable.

DC Turismo
01-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure I have the rad, but it's at my mothers place. Being like -10 temps in her unheated barn, and a bit busy... I didn't have time to look.

Won't have time until next weekend. Sorry.

Well keep me in mind, I'm willing to wait. I am just going to pull the motor this week and sand the engine pay to prep it for paint. The car won't be back on teh road until next week or the following.

Directconnection
01-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I know I have one... it's all coming back to me now.:) But I just may forget about you if you keep your tom brady note in your sig.:D

DC Turismo
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I know I have one... it's all coming back to me now.:) But I just may forget about you if you keep your tom brady note in your sig.:D

:lol: :blah: :banghead:

AHHH!!!! hahahhaha Well, if you can get me the hookup, I would be very appreciative and cheer for the Bears to beat the Colts then, AND take the quote out of my signature :p ;)

Directconnection
01-29-2007, 07:21 PM
haha...will try. Unsure of exact condition of it. I remember it being good when pulled from the car 4 years ago.

Need any VNT turbos while I'm at it? I got a bunch 'o cores.

DC Turismo
01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
haha...will try. Unsure of exact condition of it. I remember it being good when pulled from the car 4 years ago.

Nope! Just the radiator! :)

Directconnection
02-03-2007, 09:07 PM

I found it tonight. Man... it was pretty cold and dark in the barn as I was making a list of everything I had while I was there. Pens freeze real quick!

Anyways... the core is in not so great shape as some fins are missing. The rad was good when pulled, meaning no leaks, but like I said... the fins are missing in some areas. Not sure you still want it, or not.

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Whats the engine code? Its the 8th digit in the VIN. I can get new rads fairly reasonable.

DC Turismo
02-04-2007, 01:19 AM
I found it tonight. Man... it was pretty cold and dark in the barn as I was making a list of everything I had while I was there. Pens freeze real quick!

Anyways... the core is in not so great shape as some fins are missing. The rad was good when pulled, meaning no leaks, but like I said... the fins are missing in some areas. Not sure you still want it, or not.

Well, could you email a pic. or two to lofinkw@hotmail.com ? That'd be helpful.

Unless Simon can get me the hookup with a new one. Does anyone have the 8th digit of the VIN from a 90 Daytona VNT?

DC Turismo
02-04-2007, 03:29 AM

BTW... the quote's gone. :lol: ;) :D

Directconnection
02-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Cool. Thanks for removing it. It's helping the healing proccess.

I can't get a pic until next saturday.

I doubt Simon can get these...as a matter of fact, I'll garaubnte it. If he can find some aftermarket company that makes them, then he will have to become a vendor as he will be hit up by many. NS1 part long ago, and i tried to have my Shadow VNT rad fixed years ago. can't get the plastic endtanks and the seals so nobody will touch them. The metal tanked T-II rads you can recore.

Tony Fields
02-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, could you email a pic. or two to lofinkw@hotmail.com ? That'd be helpful.

Unless Simon can get me the hookup with a new one. Does anyone have the 8th digit of the VIN from a 90 Daytona VNT?

I believe the 8th digit is a "C"

DC Turismo
02-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Whenever you can get a pic. is fine with me. I'm not putting the engine in for another couple of weeks. It's not warm enough to paint (-5 below zero HAHA) because I am painting the engine bay while the motor is out.

I'll be waiting for the pics. tho!

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I believe the 8th digit is a "C"

In that case, I can get them. If someone can post a pic, I'll order one on Monday and compare. I checked my local parts supplier and used the Vin code C and it comes up as a different rad than a TBI Daytona.

Directconnection
02-04-2007, 11:22 PM
probably T-I. Maybe the daytona VNT rads are out there for the aftermarket... but i know for certain they are not for the VNT '90 P-bodies.

turbovanmanČ
02-04-2007, 11:40 PM
probably T-I. Maybe the daytona VNT rads are out there for the aftermarket... but i know for certain they are not for the VNT '90 P-bodies.

Thats why I said get me a pic of one, :p

Measurements would be great also.

Directconnection
02-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Here's rad... looks worse in the pic..damn digital cameras! Not sure of what the redish spot is. The car had coolant in it and didn't appear to leak, but we nver had the car running to find out.

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Ok, well I you guys were right, its the wrong one.

Does anyone have an OE number. One of my suppliers said he could maybe track some down if they have the number.

DC Turismo
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Here's rad... looks worse in the pic..damn digital cameras! Not sure of what the redish spot is. The car had coolant in it and didn't appear to leak, but we nver had the car running to find out.

:eek:

The bottom five rows of my radiator are the exact same way, red, and they are brittle.

What is the fan for next to that radiator? If it is for the VNT radiator, I definitely need it and would for sure purchase it from you if that's teh case. I'll need to think over that radiator in the pic..

Directconnection
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
The fan is from the VNT Daytona rad/cooler setup. Kinda want to keep it as a spare... but ya never know.

DC Turismo
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Well PM me a price that you would need to consider it sold, Steve! The guy I bought my from said he was going to send me the fan and all hoses with the combo but screwed me over basically.

LMK!

Directconnection
02-13-2007, 07:12 PM
hmmm.... crap. I kinda think I better keep this as I have 2 VNT shadows that use the same exact fan. I am the resident TM parts whore. I have some '89 T-II fans... the metal ones. Actually, you could put the T-II rad in your car as well. I'm not too attatched to the '89 setups if that helps you any. If I have an extra to the extra VNT fan... then it's your's but not sure I have an extra besides this one.

ps.. pm me the bad trader name if you wish

akyea815
04-09-2016, 08:38 AM
looking for a rad for my 90 vnt Daytona, anyone have any suggestions