PDA

View Full Version : HELP, can't get rid of the drone, :(

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Ok, I am at wits end, WTF can I do. I am running a full 3inch mandrel system, Magnaflow oval Muffler at the back, stock location is up front in front of the gas tank. I have tried numerous tailpipe exits but the quietest was coming out like the stocker. It was ok for about a year but started getting louder. Now I commute on the highway for 30-40 mins and the drone is deadly between 100-120 km/h. Changing to the .91 gearset helped a bit. Added a rear resonator tip and helped a bit, then added a 12 inch resonator before the gas tank and knocked the sound down but the drone is there, in fact, I think its worse??????????

So, what muffler can I get, i am honestly thinking of putting my Super40 back on?

What if I put the muffler where its supposed to be and put the resonator at the back like the factory did?

HELP, :mecry:

Frank
01-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Well since you dont need 3" on the highway, do the following... Take a soup can that will slide over or into the 3", cut a whole in the bottom that is 2.25" in size, you a set screw to hold it on, and put it on the end of your exhaust. Give it a try.

Frank

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Well since you dont need 3" on the highway, do the following... Take a soup can that will slide over or into the 3", cut a whole in the bottom that is 2.25" in size, you a set screw to hold it on, and put it on the end of your exhaust. Give it a try.

Frank

Are you kidding or being serious?

Frank
01-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Seriously

Clay
01-25-2007, 02:27 PM
drone is probably being caused by one of two things:

(a) muffler itself, you just happen to be hitting the natural frequency @ that speed which the muffler will induce the drone, ala original flow masters

(b) the position of the muffler in the exhaust system. If its at the right (wrong?) place, depending on the exhaust pulses and how they come together in that area could cause a drone as well.

I would move the muffler, or put in a different one. Easiest way to test this theory out is to remove the muffler all together and see if you still get a drone.

BadAssPerformance
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Since it was quiet for a while then drones now it sounds like the muffler is just caked up with fuel, oil, etc that went thru it.

Just a thought, tho my Dynomax Race Magnum oval never had that issue in the Z or now in the Shadow.

EDIT:

New Avatar for Frank:

http://www.bncoffroad.com/ghetto/bubb_rubb/bubb_rubb.jpg

Frank
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
The best idea is to move it roughly 4" in either direction... or just go the soup can route.

Frank

Frank
01-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Since it was quiet for a while then drones now it sounds like the muffler is just caked up with fuel, oil, etc that went thru it.

Just a thought, tho my Dynomax Race Magnum oval never had that issue in the Z or now in the Shadow.

Dont forget that drone gets worse as outside temperatures decrease.

BadAssPerformance
01-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Dont forget that drone gets worse as outside temperatures decrease.

Not mine, er well, I guess I dont have a drone to get worse, LOL

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, guess I will redo the exhaust and move it up front. The position at the back I can't move it.

Any suggestions on muffler choice as I really don't want to be redoing it then taking it back apart?

JT, you have a 5 speed, big difference as my rpm is probably 1000-1500 rpm higher than yours at the same speed.

BadAssPerformance
01-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I typically roll anywhere from 3k-4k rpm...

3" Dynomax Race Magnum oval has been good for me :thumb:

Frank
01-25-2007, 03:03 PM
JT,
He has a Magnaflow 3" Oval... his drone is due to the length of his pipe because its a van, not the muffler. I tried tell him this last year.

Frank

lametec
01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
When I had drone isssues, it was becaue the muffler tip didn't quite clear the back of the car (bumper cover).

Putting on a slightly longer straight tip to where it ended just past the bumper cut the drone down to almost nothing.

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
JT,
He has a Magnaflow 3" Oval... his drone is due to the length of his pipe because its a van, not the muffler. I tried tell him this last year.
Frank

Well I will redo it with the muffler up front and the resonator at the back where the muffler was. We'll see what happens.

When I had drone isssues, it was becaue the muffler tip didn't quite clear the back of the car (bumper cover).

Putting on a slightly longer straight tip to where it ended just past the bumper cut the drone down to almost nothing.

I agree, tried alot of different lengths etc but right now, I can't go any longer.

Frank
01-25-2007, 03:53 PM
I say leave it for right now and do the coffee/soup can route. The sound is SO going to change when you put in a TIII. Why do the work twice.

Frank

tryingbe
01-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Do a rear mount turbo. :)

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I say leave it for right now and do the coffee/soup can route. The sound is SO going to change when you put in a TIII. Why do the work twice.

Frank

Like, gag me with a spoon, like, OMG, lol! :eyebrows:

Won't more flow make it drone more or will the 16 valve head change the frequency enough that it will stop?

BadAssPerformance
01-25-2007, 06:04 PM
JT,

Frank

I think that the length, volume, filler, and how worn out the muffler is could make a difference too.

Frank
01-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Like, gag me with a spoon, like, OMG, lol! :eyebrows:

Won't more flow make it drone more or will the 16 valve head change the frequency enough that it will stop?

Drone has several factors. I dont know how exactly will the 16valve will effect completely. All I know is what might work, might not work later. You may just want to try the can to see what it does.

WVRampage
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
I had this problem as I was runing a full 3 inch with a warlock muffler and no cat,I placed a cheap 3 inch glass back in place of where the converter was,also I installed the glass pack backwards.

TurboJerry
01-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Both my 16 valve and my 8 valve cars have *almost* the same exhaust systems. The 16 valve has no drone, the 8 valve rattles the rear view mirror. I think it's because the 8 valve car is a 2.5.......

Millerman340
01-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Put some Winnie the pooh stuffing in the muffler, That should quiet it down:p

TurboJerry
01-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Funny thing is we used to put steel wool in the exhaust to quiet things down. And used chicken wire and worm drive clamps to hold it from blowing out.......

turbovanmanČ
01-25-2007, 10:36 PM

You guys are all fricking comedians, :( :p

Turbo_Rampage
01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm running a Flowmaster Hushpower II muffler on my Rampage with a 2.5" exhaust right to the back, and i get very little highway drone, but i also have no carpet so i get a bit more noises then usual, :) I have the muffler right where the stock cat. would of went, because it's basically the same size and shape. I sometimes think it's to quiet for me though, because when it's idling i can barely hear it running. Also like you said your van is an Automatic, and that doesn't help very much because your RPM's are so high on the highway...perfect excuse for a 5 speed swap, :p

puppet
01-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Funny thing is we used to put steel wool in the exhaust to quiet things down. And used chicken wire and worm drive clamps to hold it from blowing out.......That's where I thought Frank was going with the soup can idea ... split pea or tomato :P

Frank
01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
hehehehe

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Im a Cream of Chicken kinda guy myself, :thumb:

whywoody
01-26-2007, 01:02 AM
My exhaust drone didn't really change with the head swap,maybe a little due to the engine needing less throttle opening for the same cruise speed.
I have a 3" with no cat,dynomax super turbo in front of the tank,straight through to the bumper.I have tried it with just a turn down before the tank,and no better,but barely worse...
Swaping to the 3:50 fd 5sp made the world of difference to the drone,and economy.I can now AFFORD to drive to Calgary and back (200klms) and not have a ringing head from it.The rpm droped about 900rpm at 110klm/hr.
The only other way the drone went away was driving the van over the pit at work....amazing how much quieter the pipe was.If you have a pit or hoist at work Simon,try running the van while over it.The sound seems to bounce back from the ground badly,especially when I'm loaded with people or firewood etc,which makes me wonder if a twin wall pipe might shut the resonance drone down,say 3" inside a 4",run in the straight sections.
I had a Datsun 260z with a large exhaust,and it droned like crazy,but sounded sweet too lol!

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Thats interesting, the 3 inch pipe inside a 4 inch pipe, :D

mech1nxh
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
well...
I must admit to a good chuckle at your expense turbovanman,
pretty funny stuff.......

on a more ah...technical note....if you dont like the soup can
idea, how about a super trap tip , discreetly placed .....same principal
more ...hmm ...technical, and "adjustable"....

Frank
01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Agreed! Everyone tries more resonators, but it just shifts it and there is not garentee that it wont resonate in a different rpm range that will still be an annoyance. There are only a few options. Create a resonance tube/junction or do something similar as a super trap tip.

Frank

BIGBRUDDA
01-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Hey!! what about a "stock exhaust" off a T&C with a cutout! Closed "all quiet on the western front".:)(baby sleeps comfortably):nod: Pull the cable ,and all of Canada trembles in fear.:wow1:

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Agreed! Everyone tries more resonators, but it just shifts it and there is not garentee that it wont resonate in a different rpm range that will still be an annoyance. There are only a few options. Create a resonance tube/junction or do something similar as a super trap tip.

Frank

Like I said, the resonator I put in made it worse, I was in shock, it seemed to move the drone more into where I dont' want it. I think I'll take it out tonight and put my cat in for now :(

Frank
01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
A CAT should help remove the drone because it breaks up the pressure waves.

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2007, 04:33 PM
A CAT should help remove the drone because it breaks up the pressure waves.

Thats what I was thinking. The soup can won't work for me due to the resonator tip I have on.

Frank
01-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Oh, I thought it was because you didn't want to be a redneck which I found very strange considering what you drive! LOL! hehehehe

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Grrrrrrrrr, :censored: :p

Frank
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
I was being serious. I got confused above and didn't realize you still had the resonator tip on. LOL.

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I was being serious. I got confused above and didn't realize you still had the resonator tip on. LOL.

It was the redneck comment, lol!

MiniMopar
01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
My Daytona and CSX have very similar exhausts. The CSX drones like crazy and the Daytona is much quieter. The CSX doesn't have a cat.

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2007, 06:49 PM
I'll put the cat in tonight and report back tomorrow. Its a 5 min job to put it in. :thumb:

Frank
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Sweet! Let us know how it goes!

boost geek
01-26-2007, 09:57 PM

I was waiting for a pooh joke...

shelbyplaya
01-26-2007, 11:37 PM
run a side exit with the 3" with an electronic dump but also run a 2" exhaust in the stock location with a cat and a super baffled muffler...

or try a warlock

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Well, putting my cat back on reduced it big time, I can't believe the difference. Its still there but liveable. I'll just leave it alone until my 16 valve conversion is done. :thumb:

Frank
01-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Try taking the resonator tip off. See what happens then.

turbovanmanČ
01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Try taking the resonator tip off. See what happens then.

Maybe if I get time today.

shelbyplaya
01-28-2007, 01:48 AM
run a side exit with the 3" with an electronic dump but also run a 2" exhaust in the stock location with a cat and a super baffled muffler...

or try a warlock

i dont think i explained my idea well enough.

attached to the 3" run a small 2"/2.25" cat befor the axle then after that run a baffled/chamberd muffler.

you wont hear a sound untill you open the cut out!

turbovanmanČ
01-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Cut outs are not my bag, I like having the power quietly. Tonight, playing with a newer 3 or 5 series BMW, he couldn't beat me, muahahahahaa, :lol:

The drone is gone, check out my post here-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=119806#post119806

BadAssPerformance
01-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Good news :thumb:

Interesting how too much advance made it drone too.

dodge89shelby
01-29-2007, 09:18 PM
i dont have a td van but i drive a 16v hybrid daytona everyday w/ a full 3" and no cat. and i also dont know exactly what you mean by "drone" but what i do know is that my car was LOUD b4 w/ my 8v engine. do simply to the ex pulses and flow of the 16v vs the 8v it is MUCH quiter! infact all i can hear is the turbo whistle form inside the can w/ some mild ex note inside the car. if your doing the 16v convo then i would wait! you really wont belive what it does to the ex note of your engine!

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Drone is when the exhaust is booming inside the vehicle, it can vary but mine was bad enough it gave me a headache, couldn't talk to my wife which was a great excuse-lol and had to crank the radio, thus making my headache worse.