PDA

View Full Version : JE ring set - end gap question

1FastCSX289
01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Im building a 2.2 race motor with my students after school. We're using JE .020" over pistons and rings. The end gap seems big to me. The top ring is at about .024" and the 2nd ring is at .029". Anyone run these before? This is high-boost, race only motor. Is the gap too big to run?

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Yep, the rule of thumb is .004" for every inch of bore and I think you add a bit more for boosted so in your case, it shouldn't be larger than .016"

mo' parts
01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
simon, nice time to chime in:eyebrows:

usally on 18-20+ boosted motors, its normal to run 20+ on the top and 18+ on the second(drag car usally). i usally run 20 and 18:thumb: mostly street driven and pull 140+ psi compression.

is it possible you have the top and second switched?? IIRC, top ring has a dot on it?(though i have'nt used JE'S) Simon should know:thumb:

whats the bore clearnce??

Speedeuphoria
01-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Weisco recomends running the second gap larger than the 1st to fight ring flutter. Something they learned from the Deisel guys.

Its good to call them and tell them how much boost you want to ruan and they will recomend gaps

1FastCSX289
01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Weisco recomends running the second gap larger than the 1st to fight ring flutter. Something they learned from the Deisel guys.

Its good to call them and tell them how much boost you want to ruan and they will recomend gaps

This is what tech service at JE said to me as well. They said that with a high boost application (25 PSI), our ring end gaps are OK and actually preferred. He said the newer material of the rings and the improvement in heat dissipation from the ring land to the ring itself necessitates a larger ring end gap to compensate for expansion. So, I guess we are OK......contrary to what ive always learned as truth. :o

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow, so there saying .024" and .029" is ok? Sorry, I won't build my motor with that kind of ring gaps, thats insane. Can you say blowby, :mad:

Speedeuphoria
01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
I'd go more like .019 and .022

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd go more like .019 and .022

Yep, thats what I set my motors too, but usually I have no choice as thats what I get out of the box, lol! :thumb:

1FastCSX289
01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Well, the only other way is to have JE send me a larger rings....but they say I dont need them. :confused: I, personally, would not run them on my vehicle like that either (street/strip). But, according to them, this is perfectly acceptable on a race only application.....and thats what this is. So, worst comes to worse is that the head and oil pan have to come off the thing in the car.....

contraption22
01-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Make sure you have adequate crankcase ventilation. If the gap is too big, and you get alot of blow by at high boost, it could cause some seals to push out.

fleckster
01-24-2007, 01:42 AM
I think the consensus from those that have experimented is that if you run too tight of ring gap on our high boost engines with forged pistons, you will have problems. (i.e. stock cast piston ring gap specs) The forged pistons expand more than the cast and if the ring gap is too tight, the ends will butt up as the engine warms up and even more under high boost and not fit the bore properly and you will get blow by then.

turbovanmanČ
01-24-2007, 01:55 AM
I am running .020" clearance on my rings running JE forged and no ring butting, even leaning the piss out of it. I just can't fathom that kind of ring gap, those rings must expand alot when hot. Either way, theres no way I would put my engine together with that big a gap.

ohiorob
01-24-2007, 07:45 AM
I got to say something here. I run JE with hasting rings. .014 top .012 middle.
I have done this for years. 28psi and nitrous

contraption22
01-24-2007, 08:27 AM
I think the consensus from those that have experimented is that if you run too tight of ring gap on our high boost engines with forged pistons, you will have problems. (i.e. stock cast piston ring gap specs) The forged pistons expand more than the cast and if the ring gap is too tight, the ends will butt up as the engine warms up and even more under high boost and not fit the bore properly and you will get blow by then.

I had this happen to me. I had a shortblock done by Ray Barton Racing Engines, and they put way too tight of a ring gap on it. You should have seen the damage it did to the bores! The block was not savable.

turbovanmanČ
01-24-2007, 01:42 PM
I got to say something here. I run JE with hasting rings. .014 top .012 middle.
I have done this for years. 28psi and nitrous

I would like to run tighter but that was the ring gap out of the box and I wasn't prepared to buy file fit rings, :p

I had this happen to me. I had a shortblock done by Ray Barton Racing Engines, and they put way too tight of a ring gap on it. You should have seen the damage it did to the bores! The block was not savable.

I haven't had it happen to me but I have seen the damage, its ugly. :(

Directconnection
01-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Sorry to change the subject..

Is Ray as much of an arse as i have heard? Years ago, my stepfather called him on a price for a 426 hemi shortblock. Barton cursed at him over and over saying he didn't have time for F'n A-holes wasting his time and if he wanted an F'n engine, send him $10k and then he'll think about it. My stepfather ended up going to Larry Shepard's Hemis only which was a big mistake. At least he took my stepfather seriously, but gave him a $hitty engine in return.

contraption22
01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I didn't deal directly with Ray, or his son, although I had met them while I was there. I cannot confirm if he is a douchebag or not, but I admit, you are not the first I have heard that kinda experience from.