PDA

View Full Version : 16v head work

TurboBuggy
01-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Im debating having my head ported but I was thinking about doing a couple things by myself.

First, should I grind/sand out this little divit? I want to reduce the chance for detonation as much as possible and I dont think this little bump would be helping much
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9498/untitled2gn.png

I have seen where a guy polished the combustion chamber to a mirror finish to reflect heat back into the combustion process but I have also seen people rough up the combustion chamber for some reason. Which one should I do?

Should I polish the exhaust ports?

1985ShlbyChrger
01-23-2007, 04:04 AM
If the divot has rounded edges I wouldn't worry about taking it out. Only the sharp edges will cause detonation issues.

I would say leave the CC the way it is, unless you want to reshape it or something. I don't think it would be worth it to go to the trouble of roughening it up.

I would probably polish the exhaust ports, it may help get the exhaust gases out quicker.

Speedeuphoria
01-23-2007, 09:00 AM
I have pics of ported heads and all of them that I've seen still have that little dimple in the chamber. Smooth out the exhaust, widen the ports to the gasket. The bump in their most say leave alone unless you want a topend monster/drag car. Make the part in the ports that splits to the 2 valves a sharp edge on all. Looks like you allready cleaned up the bowls