PDA

View Full Version : Different SMEC after adding intercooler???

Snailpower
01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
On my 89 Lebaron, if I add an intercooler do I have to change anything else like the SMEC? Forgive my newbieness...:D

cordes
01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Not really. If you change enough things on the car, and want to get the most out of it, then I might recomend getting a custom cal, or better yet making your own.

As for right now, I would just get some good gauges if you havent already.

Snailpower
01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I have ordered a boost gauge, but still on the lookout for a factory one. I am not planning on drag racing this car, if I want to do that, I will just jump in my turbo 70 Coronet! I just want to bump it up a little for the fun factor. The engine is solid and quiet. I am looking to add some 15" or 16" wheels, a sway bar and jumping it up to an intercooled 2.5, somewhere between 175 ~ 200 horse range.

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2007, 11:03 PM
I would get an Air fuel guage, I personally like Dawes Devices. Make sure you've done a compression test, good tune-up on it.
A 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust is needed along with a free flowing cat and or muffler.

You can turn the boost up to 14.7 psi before the factory boost cut-out takes over, after that, you have lots of options.

Read the turbo database section at www.thedodgegarage.com then we can answer your many other questions, :thumb:

cordes
01-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I would splurge for the WBO2. They are really coming down in price these days, and they are so much better than the narrow band units it isn't even funny.

Snailpower
01-22-2007, 12:20 AM
I ran a Dawes Device digital A/F meter in the Coronet for some time before I upgraded to a WB02 last year. I can adapt my old Dawes onto the Lebaron. Trust me when I tell you I have the understanding and knowledge base when it comes to mechanics and turbocharging, but I want to make sure I am approaching the fairly new world of FWD turbo Mopars in the correct way. Since I have only had the car for a week, I am still going to be in the learning curve for a little while. I apologize if I ask to many "Already Answered" questions.

I just wish I could find a picture of the wastegate vacuum tubing to make sure it is all hooked up properly. It would be nice to get this car to boost one time without any issues! Thanks again for everyones replies.

turbovanmanČ
01-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Sorry, not trying to imply your lack of knowledge but the site I linked has the vac diagrams you need and tells you of all the little things about our engines. Trust me, its a big help when working on a new type of engine.