PDA

View Full Version : 300m's

Mike_Shepard
01-21-2007, 05:19 AM
So the wife and I have been discussing that the cavalier is nolonger going to fit the bill with a child on the way, So we are looking for a 4door car but im wanting something sporty yet practical and under 10K which is putting us at about a 2000 year model, So I've been looking at 300's and Acura TL's. Both have 3.5 V6s and are both very attractive to both of us. I'd really like a 300m Special but they are alittle out of our price.

So I guess my question is this. Is the 3.5 in the 300 reliable? I think I heared the 2.7 was junk. And between the 2 makes which would you choose

87ShelbyJT
01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Well first the 2.7 was only in the Intrepid's, Sebring's, and Stratus's and the 300M was only made with a 3.5. I had a 99 300M, really nice car, mine had 125K on the clock and it ran great. The 3.5 is a real peppy engine with plenty of power.

5sp. mini
01-21-2007, 10:25 AM
all we do to them is inner and outer tie rods, the older ones some ball joints, and engine cradale mt,s. i my self would look at the acrua seem to do less work too them. brakes are there only repair. remember i work at a brake and front end shop so we don,t do engine work. alan

Vigo
01-31-2007, 08:49 PM
either a 300m or a TL would be a good choice. a tl-s will be faster and hold value better. you can find 300m special for 10k if you have the time and persistence to wait for one at that price and then snap it up 10k that day.

another thing, my dad just bought an '02 diamante VR-X for $6400+ttl. 108k, 3.5L v6 (not as fast as either above tho), 27mpg highway, nice interior (not a fan of the lower models interior so much tho) and i found many 00-up diamantes for under 10k. just soemthing to consider.

If you dont mind the styling, look for the other 3.5 (preferably ONLY 3.5, but 3.2 fine, 2.7 crap) LH cars i.e. concorde, intrepid, lhs.

let us know if you find something!

BlueBaron
02-05-2007, 11:03 PM
My dad has an '01 300M with 130,000+ kms on it.

The only part that has broke so far, is the A/C rad. And that was nice enough to die at the end of summer.

He's even realized the spark plugs are the original factory equipment. All he's changed are brake pads, tires, oil, tranny fluid and filters.

I don't think he's even had a light burn out.

Vigo
02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
the 3.5 has among the best reputation of all the dodge motors.

other plusses: non interference and easy to do timing belt :)

tvanlant
02-07-2007, 02:51 AM
My sister bought an 04 Intrepid with only 26,000 miles on it for under 10K, I think. She moved to Germany shortly after, so I use whenever my GLHS breaks (which is quite often). I love everything about that car. Great fuel economy, rediculous amounts of room, and super-quite and smooth ride. I love taking that thing on long trips because it just soars at 80 mph, has almost no road noise, and takes no effort to keep it going straight on the highway. 300Ms are nice too, but I think an intrepid of the same year and mileage would be much cheaper.

Vigo
02-07-2007, 10:40 PM
thats very true. imo the looks are about a draw, but the interior design is a lot more divisive i would say.i am not in love with the 300m interior, slightly prefer intrepid, but i dont like intrepid front end, etc. since they are functionally identical i would check some of both out ( and maybe a concorde or lhs too) as long as it has a 3.2 or 3.5, its all good.

btw. the trunk is a black hole in disguise, dont walk too close or you'll never be heard from again.

shadow88
02-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Any time I'd be asked to chose between Chrysler and everything else, I'd pick the Chrysler. I work at a Chrysler dealership, so that decision just makes sense to me.

Every car has their problems. I'd strongly suggest talking to the mechanics at the dealerships to get the low-down on the vehicles you're considering.

And IF a 2.7l V6 has been maintained well (oil changes on time or sooner) they are a great little engine. My dad has a 2.7l sebring 4 door with over 200,000kms and it's running like a champ. IF and only IF you find a well maintained 2.7l, you may want to consider a sebring (stratus in the U.S.)?

tvanlant
02-11-2007, 12:56 AM
And IF a 2.7l V6 has been maintained well (oil changes on time or sooner) they are a great little engine. My dad has a 2.7l sebring 4 door with over 200,000kms and it's running like a champ. IF and only IF you find a well maintained 2.7l, you may want to consider a sebring (stratus in the U.S.)?

Agree on those terms. Everyone says bad things about the 2.7s, but if they are maintained well, they are great. The main problem is with the hydraulic cam tensioners that fail if the oil is not changed regularly.

So what have you decided on, Mike?

Mike_Shepard
02-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Well we have kinda went with a Bonniville SSEi we pick it up this comming friday. Its white/Tan leather 3.8 Supercharged. I cannot wait.

Tyler I'd still like to get a P&P from you, So maybe after we get the car I'll pull the head and have it to ya. You still quite busy?

mw6886
02-11-2007, 10:51 AM
the 3.5 has among the best reputation of all the dodge motors.

other plusses: non interference and easy to do timing belt :)

The 3.5 is an interference motor.

Other than that, I owned a 300m for 4 years. Loved it. There are some issues - AC condenser, crappy door seals, pain in the butt to change the headlights, transmission issues if not properly maintained (sensors, fluid, shift cable.)

All of those things are really minor if maintained - I did truly love the car, but I had the same problem - needed bigger, so I bought a Grand Caravan. :)

Mike_Shepard
02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info Matt, Keep me posted on events down that way

tvanlant
02-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Tyler I'd still like to get a P&P from you, So maybe after we get the car I'll pull the head and have it to ya. You still quite busy?

I'm still pretty busy, Mike, but if you give me some good warning, I can make some time for you.:)

Mike_Shepard
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Will do

Vigo
02-13-2007, 01:45 AM
The 3.5 is an interference motor.

maybe the later ones are, but so far all 24 of my valves are still good after losing two timing belts.