PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code 42

Turbo_Rampage
01-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey, I just checked the fault codes on my 89 Shadow ES 2.5L T1 automatic, and i got a code 42. Which turns out to be an ASD issue.. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/code42-SMEC.html What are the symptoms on the car with having this code? Because it runs perfect, and has never cut out on me on normal driving and in boost. But... last friday i started the car for the first time that day, and it was doing its typical cold high idle (about -10 outside) and then it just died just like someone turned the key off while it was idling, but then i started up again no problem, but it stalled out a second time. after that it started up and was perfect again, and i have had no problems since.. Do you think this code got stored from when it was stalling out last week?

Thanks

Frank
01-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Sounds like the symptoms match the code. The relay is monitored when ignition is on. Should be pretty simple to replace.

Turbo_Rampage
01-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Sounds like the symptoms match the code. The relay is monitored when ignition is on. Should be pretty simple to replace.

Thanks for the fast reply. I will look into getting a new ASD relay. It is one of the relays on the drivers side strut tower right? I hope its just the relay, and not a wiring problem.. I drive this car an average of two hours a day on the highway, so i have to keep it reliable.

MopàrBCN
01-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi, yep thats the way I would attack this issue as well. The ASD is pretty easy to replace. Should this not fix the issue the wiring causing possibly this failure is not that difficult to trace and fix. Keep this as an option in mind as in my opinion a faulty ASD would make it rather hard to start in the first place. Meanwhile if the car is running and it shuts down I would find it more likely that the surrounding conditions have caused the relay to close. But this is only my opinion. If you need the diagnostics procedures for this code drop me a PM.

Turbo_Rampage
01-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi, yep thats the way I would attack this issue as well. The ASD is pretty easy to replace. Should this not fix the issue the wiring causing possibly this failure is not that difficult to trace and fix. Keep this as an option in mind as in my opinion a faulty ASD would make it rather hard to start in the first place. Meanwhile if the car is running and it shuts down I would find it more likely that the surrounding conditions have caused the relay to close. But this is only my opinion. If you need the diagnostics procedures for this code drop me a PM.

I will get another ASD relay tomorrow, and see if that fixes the problem.. I started it up this morning and it was idling for about a minute, and it just died again with no warning, but i started it right back up again no problem. It only seems to do this now when it's started up in the morning (in park. warming up and idling about 1500rpm) I will carry a jumper wire for the coil to the battery if the ASD happens craps out on me in the meantime...

Turbo_Rampage
01-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Well today the ASD relay finally died for good on me. I went to start the car up today, and it barely fired and when it did start it died out on me a couple seconds later, so a trip to Napa, and 17 dollars later it's back to normal, :thumb:

Here's a pic of the old relay. It must of took on water at some point.. the black cover was full of rust and dirt. I put a bunch of electrical grease on the new relay to keep the moisture out this time.