PDA

View Full Version : Pt Cruiser plastic intake

rdnoel86
01-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Has anyone ever done any mods to a plastic intake?? Its a 2 piece design and if you just use the lower section with the runners could you mate it up with a plastic tube and have a cheap intake? Will the plastic hold up to turbocharging? Any theorys here? I see these manifolds all over the place dirt cheap (with good reason probably) and was curious.....I was thinking of getting one to experiment with................Thanx....Don

Birddog
01-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Don't know about PT intakes....I've played with the intake on my wife's ecotec, it (plastic) cleans up pretty well and we did notice a difference in mid-top end pull.

Ya may be opening a whole can o worms with custom building a plastic intake though.
However.....I have plastics welder that's itchin to be used on something...:eyebrows:

rdnoel86
01-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Don't know about PT intakes....I've played with the intake on my wife's ecotec, it (plastic) cleans up pretty well and we did notice a difference in mid-top end pull.

Ya may be opening a whole can o worms with custom building a plastic intake though.
However.....I have plastics welder that's itchin to be used on something...:eyebrows:

I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of welding it together...I was thinking of different solutions but that would be awesome if it could happen. A little research indicates its made of a Dupont nylon material which may be able to be welded. Does anyone know if Garry McKissick still lurks on the turbo boards??? It looks like he had a big part in putting the plastic intake into production on the pt cruiser.......

contraption22
01-21-2007, 11:14 AM
The first PT Turbos has aluminium intake manifolds. However later ones had a plastic intake, which I beleive Garry had a hand in designing and won an award for doing so.

I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of welding it together...I was thinking of different solutions but that would be awesome if it could happen. A little research indicates its made of a Dupont nylon material which may be able to be welded. Does anyone know if Garry McKissick still lurks on the turbo boards??? It looks like he had a big part in putting the plastic intake into production on the pt cruiser.......

looneytuner
01-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Look up Neonshowcar on TD. That's Gary.

rdnoel86
01-21-2007, 09:18 PM
WOOT!! I picked up a PT Cruiser turbo plastic intake with injectors, rail, wiring and everything for 25.00!! It supposedly had less then 5 miles on it and it looks it. The science project is on...:eyebrows:

ps....I don't mind opening a can of worms now and then.....its good to do a little "fishing" ....

iTurbo
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Since you have this manifold...does it look like it could be made to work with our TI/TII Holley throttle bodies?

rdnoel86
01-23-2007, 12:42 AM
It has the pt criusers tb still on it, I'll take it off and dig up a t1 tb I should have laying around somewhere and let you know. If it looks close I'll post some pics for you.

iTurbo
01-23-2007, 01:18 AM
That would be great. I have a lead on a local '06 PT turbo engine that I was thinking of shoveling into my GLH Turbo (hopefully using stock electronics and the distributor off the cam).

contraption22
01-25-2007, 01:53 PM
That would be great. I have a lead on a local '06 PT turbo engine that I was thinking of shoveling into my GLH Turbo (hopefully using stock electronics and the distributor off the cam).

The Pt intake goes up and over the valvecover. (you actually have to remove half of it to check your sparkplugs!) Consider this for hood clearance. You may be better off swapping to an SRT-4 intake manifold, which is really nice manifold and better suited to performance applications.

rdnoel86
01-26-2007, 04:28 AM
The Pt intake goes up and over the valvecover. (you actually have to remove half of it to check your sparkplugs!) Consider this for hood clearance. You may be better off swapping to an SRT-4 intake manifold, which is really nice manifold and better suited to performance applications.

Now what fun would that be????....lol

Birddog
01-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Shelby experimented with a similar up and over intake.
http://www.front-runners.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=29

NeonShowCar
01-27-2007, 11:05 PM

Actually Mike - both the aluminum and plastic intake manifold do not require you to remove the upper on the Turbo application. It was the 2.4 NA application plastic intake manifold that you had to remove the upper.

I don't hang out on the boards much anymore, so send me a message and i'll try to respond. Also, the two shells are friction welded together. And yes we were a finalist for SPE Most innovative used of plastics, as the plastic intake was the 1st turbocharged application in the industry.

Again, if you got more questions, ask...

Thanks!
Garry W. McKissick

rdnoel86
01-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Actually Mike - both the aluminum and plastic intake manifold do not require you to remove the upper on the Turbo application. It was the 2.4 NA application plastic intake manifold that you had to remove the upper.

I don't hang out on the boards much anymore, so send me a message and i'll try to respond. Also, the two shells are friction welded together. And yes we were a finalist for SPE Most innovative used of plastics, as the plastic intake was the 1st turbocharged application in the industry.

Again, if you got more questions, ask...

Thanks!
Garry W. McKissick

I sent you an e-mail via the other board....I'll try through here.....thanks Garry...

TurboNeon568
02-19-2007, 10:50 PM
I own an 01 N/A PT Snoozer and thought about putting either the turbo PT or SRT/4 engine in it. The thing that catches my eye about the SRT/4 engine is that it appears that the intake would interfere with the hood latch. Is this true, would I have to take the latch off and use hood pins? Or do you think it will fit?