PDA

View Full Version : 3.3/3.8 into Shadow/Spirit or similar done?

flatlander757
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
I've been working at a Dodge dealership for almost one year now in February and I've learned a lot since I've been there as an intern/tech(through votech program).

Well I've really come to like the 3.8 Caravan motors, they seem to move those heavy minivans around pretty damn quick... I was thinking that one of those in an older Chrysler would be pretty sweet. I know the 2.2/2.5 turbo is probably the cheapest way to go fast, the 2.4 DOHC swap is probably the next cheapest way to go a little bit faster with more room to grow, etc... but the 3.3 or 3.8 would be nice just to have a torquey car for auto-xing(wouldn't be competitive at all due to rules, but hell of a lot of fun!).

I know this would be a very involved swap but it is something I'm highly considering just to say I did it... One thing I need to know though is if it will physically mate up to an of the older 5 speed transmissions(A523/A568 in particular) or even the SRT-4's T850.

It would likely require custom axles and will definitely need custom motor mounts... I think that you could transplant an entire Caravan PCM/harness and splice it into where it needs to go in whatever you put it in.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Whorse
01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I drive one all the time and it certainly does move that van quick, but looking under the hood I think the engine might be a bit tall and not have clearance. Do some measuring if you can.

flatlander757
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah I'm planning to do some measuring next time I work on one;)

If it's a bit too tall, then some "massaging" of the hood(ahem... poor man's power bulge?) or a custom oilpan will be needed I think.

Whorse
01-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Also, vans ride higher above the ground with the larger wheels, but the chassis are a bit lower on the suspension, and have more room below for a larger engine. I think there were some new yorkers with a 3.8 in the 90s as well.

Murphy
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
didnt the new yorkers or whatever come with 3.8's? I know they came with 3.3's

Vigo
01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
new yorkers and imperials were the only k-based CARS to come with the 3.8. the dynasty and new yorker only came with the 3.3.

the 3.8 is a drop in on a 3.3 car, except for fuel control.

Funny you mention the 850, you've stumbled upon something it took others 15 years to figure out. the 2.7 stratus's (rare) 5-speed was a t-850 too and it will bolt up to the 3.3/3.8, as will the flywheel/clutch combo (one unit :yuck: ) and it has the CPS sensor hole and everything. you could use cables from either strat/sebring or srt-4 i would guess, and any short shifter or whatever from srt-4 would work. I've spoken to only one person who did the swap, but he didnt like it, i think because he was not of the same performance bent that we are, just an experimenter kind of guy.

anyway the 3.8 is a great idea. been planning to do it to my dynasty since 2003 :o See how much longer it takes me to get around to it.

every time i do the transmission in a 3.8 van and go for a test drive gets me a little closer to that day when ill say 'to hell with it!' and just order one.

capev86
01-24-2007, 02:49 AM
a spirit with a late model 3.8 and a 5spd would be a lot of fun!!! you'd have to upgrade the chassis and brakes to shelby/rt specs to handle the work load i would imagine! a v6 spirit es would be a nice candidate for the swap since it would be have the center console but never got a 5spd with the 3.0 v6!!!

Vigo
01-25-2007, 01:23 AM
as i said on aim, get a 3.3 dynasty and you're 9/10ths of the way there. as for shelby/rt brakes/suspension..check. :)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/228000-228999/228004_264_full.jpg