PDA

View Full Version : 91 Dakota 318 tranny Q's

Devsdaytona
01-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Ok, I just got a cheap Dakota 4x4 and the tranny seems to have some issues. When I start to accelerate it seems to not want to shift tou of 1st, then once it I pedal it too shift up, it goes to the next gear and is kinda boggy, but if I step on the gas too much it immediatly goes back too 1st and hit the rev limiter once. then all the other gears are fine. I haven't driven the truck before, but it almost seems like it goes to 3rd, but I can't tell for sure.

Should I try a fluid and filter change with proper fluid? Would it be cheaper to rebuild it before it completly goes or after if needed?

I'm gunna call the tranny guy tommorrow and see what he has to say.

Thank you for your opinions.

BoostedL
01-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Couple of things.

If you haven't changed the fluid for a long time...Then changing it could cause the tranny to stop working.

You may want to check your upshift cable from the throttle body. It might be rusted and not sliding properly.

A rebuild on a tranny usually costs the same no matter what so drive it till it blows.

Devsdaytona
01-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the help boostedL

I called the tranny guy and he said it could be a broken band or toasted clutches and a rebuild will be about :eek: $1800:faint: and $1000 from a j/y for a known good one.

I'm really glad the truck was a good deal and with that being the only problem so far.

BoostedL
01-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the help boostedL

I called the tranny guy and he said it could be a broken band or toasted clutches and a rebuild will be about :eek: $1800:faint: and $1000 from a j/y for a known good one.

I'm really glad the truck was a good deal and with that being the only problem so far.

$1800 is about on par for price. I paid 1800 for my Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny rebuild. It had the 318 with A518 tranny.

Paid about $2200 for my Dakota tranny. That included the t-case getting new seals and gaskets. Also an overkill job on building. My tranny guy normally builds trannys for 1000-2500hp cars. So when I asked him about doing my truck trans, he did some research and discovered he could use several parts from the A618 Diesel tranny to put in a 518 case. Never had a problem after that.

Do you know what model tranny you have?? 42RE, 44RE or 46RE/H A lot of the u-pull yards are $150 for any trans. Then you can install as you have time. Save the $850 for other toys :D

JDAWG
01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Couple of things.

If you haven't changed the fluid for a long time...Then changing it could cause the tranny to stop working.

never heard of this happening, only if you flush after it hasnt been done in a while because it just pushes metal throughout the trans, but never just a fluid and filter change

Devsdaytona
01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I am going to go too lordco today and get a list of interchanges. I have no clue how too tell what tranny I have by looking at it but it does have the little overdrive button on the dash.

I guess I'm probably going to go with the j/y tranny, but keep my old one to rebuild myself if need be in the future.

Thank you

Mopar_Nutz
01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
No offence to any owners of them, but I've never been impressed withthe auto tranny's in those trucks. If I had a good one I'd say it needs a shift kit at LEAST. If I had a bad one, I'd look into 5 speed swaps...

Garret
01-20-2007, 07:32 AM
or swap in a 727, you lose the OD but who cares

Charger R/T
01-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Many moons ago I use to do a lot of trans work. (15 years ago) so my mind may be a bit rusty. What it sounds like is happening is you have no second gear. First gear is a clutch and a sprag. When second gear is applied the front band comes on and its application will release the sprag. If the band does not apply the vehicle will stay in first until road speed asks for 3rd. 3rd gear releases the second gear band and applies a second clutch. When down shifting from 3rd to first if the second gear band isn't working when the trans releases the clutch for 3rd gear the sprag will catch and your are in 1st again. I have seen quite a few transmissions do this. Like they told you a broken band could be the cause and a rebuild will be needed to get it out and replace. But there are a few other things that can go wrong that do not need a rebuild to get second gear back. The piece of metal that goes between the band and servo can break in half or fall out if the band was out of adjustment. It will also fall out if the band is broke. The seals on the servo can go bad too. Drop the pan and have a look. There are 2 bands one in the front close to the pump and one in the rear of the trans the one you need to look at is the front one. I have seen less broken bands then the other fixable issues on mopar trasmissions. If you find the piece in the pan and the band is not broke the most you need to do is remove the valve body. That is not too hard on these. If the band is broke you might find the broken piece in the pan with the piece of metal that goes between the servo and band. So get out there and post what you find. This trans works alot like a 413. Its application is the same except it has an OD bolted to the rear of the trans. One more thing check the cable adjustment too if second gear got lost and someone tried to fix it there is a good chance they messed with this and it no longer is set correctly.
Tim

BoostedL
01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
never heard of this happening, only if you flush after it hasnt been done in a while because it just pushes metal throughout the trans, but never just a fluid and filter change

Had it happen on 2 different trannys. The way it was explained to me and still doesn't make sense. The old fluid (Mine had 120k on it) has dirty and clutch dust in it. It helps the clutches engage on a worn tranny. Change the fluid and you don't have the extra material/dirt and it slips...wearing the clutches more till it blows. But to me, the filter should keep that junk out of the tranny. So who knows.

And as a past owner of two dakotas and now a ram 3500...Chrysler/dodge/DCX can't make a tranny to save their lives. I have had about 10 rebuilt no. Even the big 48RE was rebuilt in my 04 ram dually at 28k miles. The last good tranny they ever built was the 727.

If he tried to swap in the 727, he would need new driveshafts...as the 727 is shorter without the overdrive.

If your getting one from a junkyard, make damn sure you get a 46RH model...Or RE, can't remember. I think the RH was in my 92 dakota which was hydraulic shift and the RE was in my 98 Grand cherokee 5.9 which was electronic shift.

Devsdaytona
01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
ok, here's the situatuation I'm in. I have 4 options, A is what I am thinking of trying.

A) Buy a rebuild kit and a shift kit and atempt rebuild myself $350

B) J/y tranny for $1000

C) 5-speed swap $1000 plus cost of clutch

D) Get tranny proffessionally rebuilt $1800

Devsdaytona
01-20-2007, 10:45 PM
No offence to any owners of them, but I've never been impressed withthe auto tranny's in those trucks. If I had a good one I'd say it needs a shift kit at LEAST. If I had a bad one, I'd look into 5 speed swaps...

I agree completly and I knew about them having some tranny issues, but I did get a good deal on it or else I would have waited for a 5-speed to come along and a shift kit is definatly in the plans if I rebuild it myself.

Thanks for the help guys

shelby zed
01-20-2007, 10:51 PM
hey dev, i think i quoted you 150 for the rebuild, and around 80-100 for the shift kit

Devsdaytona
01-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Yup, the numbers above are just approximations, there would be tax and stuff too.

Vigo
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
honestly, i wouldnt try building one yourself unless you have someone proficient around to walk you through it. i have been learning transmission building for months, work in a transmission shop, am assembling a 500 and a 518 at work this week, and thats my opinion. :)

1FastCSX289
01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
honestly, i wouldnt try building one yourself unless you have someone proficient around to walk you through it. i have been learning transmission building for months, work in a transmission shop, am assembling a 500 and a 518 at work this week, and thats my opinion. :)

I would agree with this. You also need a couple of specialty tools (or a whole lot of patience) like a decent foot press. Building trannies isnt an easy job. If youre a pretty proficient technician, you can give it a shot, but if your experience is limited to tinkering around with TM's, I would hold off.

Also, before you go ripping anything apart or running off for a rebuild. COUNT the shifts. It may just be upshifting to second late and then sliding right into 3rd. If all the gears are there, than its most likely you have a control problem like a hung valve in the valve body.

FINALLY.........IF you are missing second. That doesnt NECESSARILY mean you have a broken band. Its pretty common on those that the strut that applies the band falls out due to lack of adjustment. You will find it laying on top of the valve body. It goes between the apply servo and the band and if the band is too loose, it will fall out of place. This is a relatively easy fix (in comparison to a rebuild). So DONT jump right into a rebuild. Dont take it to a tranny shop that doesnt recognize this as a possibility because a lot of guys will just tell you that you need a rebuild when its a simple fix.

Also, if it does have to be rebuilt....... What about the option of pulling the unit yourself and giving it to someone to build "over the counter". Then you will at least save the install cost.

Devsdaytona
02-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I have been told an unadjusted band before, but I have no clue where it is. I plan to check that when I pull the pan. I have just been waiting for my shift kit to come before I started tearing into things.

fleckster
03-08-2007, 01:29 AM
And as a past owner of two dakotas and now a ram 3500...Chrysler/dodge/DCX can't make a tranny to save their lives. I have had about 10 rebuilt no. Even the big 48RE was rebuilt in my 04 ram dually at 28k miles. The last good tranny they ever built was the 727.

Ouch...could you at least TRY the newer 545RFE before you condemn it? It is far superior to the 46RE that it replaced and the warrantee issues have dropped to near nothing in comparison. Most dealerships now say "we pretty much don't do tranny work anymore" since it has taken over in the V8 truck and Jeep applications.

And the 48RE will be replaced soon as well (by the 68RFE) so there will be no more OD transmissions based on the older units and no more bands.

1FastCSX289
03-08-2007, 09:38 PM
What ever happened to this tranny? Did you drop the pan and look for that apply strut falling out?

Funny thing....shortly after I responded to this post, I was working at my Dad's shop to make an extra buck and a guy with a late 90's Durango was in with the exact same problem. Late upshift, skipping right into third gear. Turned out to be that little strut that fell out due to the front band never being adjusted. It was sitting right on top of the valve body. We saved the guy about 1200 bucks over two other shops that told him it needed a rebuild!

Devsdaytona
03-09-2007, 02:11 AM
well, I got a j/y tranny and installed a shift kit, then I'm gunna see whats wrong with this tranny and see about repair and sell, or core

Birddog
03-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Ouch...could you at least TRY the newer 545RFE before you condemn it? It is far superior to the 46RE that it replaced and the warrantee issues have dropped to near nothing in comparison. Most dealerships now say "we pretty much don't do tranny work anymore" since it has taken over in the V8 truck and Jeep applications.

And the 48RE will be replaced soon as well (by the 68RFE) so there will be no more OD transmissions based on the older units and no more bands.

I'm with Fleckster here...BUT I'm kinda curious to see this play out...

Above and beyond all else trans life comes down to maintenance...
I have had 904, 998 and 727 transmissions that performed in a sad manner, simply because nobody ever did the required maintenance...
The 46re I have now (had it for a week) felt pretty mushy until I got the TransGo "kit" in.

Devsdaytona
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Finally pulled the pan and there is mr 2nd gear band flapping around just like it shouldn't be. So I'll pay the $100 junkyard core and put the tranny up on the market cause she's all good.

1FastCSX289
03-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Finally pulled the pan and there is mr 2nd gear band flapping around just like it shouldn't be. So I'll pay the $100 junkyard core and put the tranny up on the market cause she's all good.

Yup. Thats pretty typical. Did you find the little strut that goes between the apply servo and the band? Probably should have been laying on top of the valve body or in the pan. Put that back in and then adjust BOTH of the bands. It should be good to go after that. Too bad you went thru that work of R&R'in the tranny. THat would have been a SWEET fix! But, at least you can still sell the tranny and make back some of your money.

Vigo
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM

no more bands, yay! its funny how the new 6-speed is touting this as something special, when the 604 had it in 89. way to go everyone else for finally catching up to 18yr old technology.

1FastCSX289
03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
no more bands, yay! its funny how the new 6-speed is touting this as something special, when the 604 had it in 89. way to go everyone else for finally catching up to 18yr old technology.

Yea, but its still pretty impressive to do a 6 speed without using bands. Thats a lot of clutches!

fleckster
03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
It's not as many clutches as you might think. The big deal is to get the number of carriers/Simpson gear sets to get the ratios that are desired.

It's funny but the newer transmissions (42RLE, 545RFE, 68RFE) are basically updated larger/beefier RWD versions of the A604 (41TE)!

Vigo
03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
well the 604 is a work of engineering genius, even if everyone bashes it. the first time i took apart the big drum in a 604 i was like holy crap who thought this up, wow. lol.

fleckster
03-25-2007, 02:23 PM
It is genius! The only problem with the early A-604 was that they rushed it before all the details were worked out because they wanted to be the first to market with a full electronic trans. If they could have waited a year or two and REALLY tested the design and the manufacturing process, it probably would have been one of the best transmissions ever made.