PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit for a TM rear axle?

Tony Hanna
01-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of building a little trailer. Something extremely light with the sole purpose of being able to tow 1 motorcycle behind the Sundance. We're talking a bare bones setup here. Just an axle, tounge, a piece of c channel running inline with the tounge for the bike to sit on, and 4 anchor points for straps. No deck or anything. With that in mind, would a TM rear axle be suitable? I thought it might be nice because I could pick up another pair of pumpers and have the wheels on the trailer match the wheels on the car. Plus I could use the Sundance's spare tire on the trailer if I ever needed to.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

WVRampage
01-12-2007, 06:19 PM
the rampage was rated to haul 1100lbs,Im not sure about a van but it whould haul a motorcycle or 4 wheeler with no problem.I have a freind that built a 4x8 trailer from a rampage rear axle so im sure you will have no problem.

Tony Hanna
01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Cool! Thanks man.

JDAWG
01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
A guy I used to work with made a 'dear trailer' out of one, he re welded the factory welds and boxed the U part in though. He had 10 deer in it. However much that weighs I dunno, Im a city boy.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2007, 02:57 AM
A guy I used to work with made a 'dear trailer' out of one, he re welded the factory welds and boxed the U part in though. He had 10 deer in it. However much that weighs I dunno, Im a city boy.

I'd guess quite a bit more than 1 Harley Sportster.:)
Good point about boxing the "U". I'll definately do that when/if I ever get around to building the thing.
Any of you guys that have towed with a TM, what did you do for a hitch? I'm kind of back and forth between building my own or just taking the car to a shop that I know of that specializes in that stuff.

looneytuner
01-13-2007, 12:47 PM
You can buy a factory built hitch. My Neon had one the bolted to the box steel in the bumper. Some just bolt to the floor pan. No problems. They are engineered with liability in mind. I towed a garden tractor front loader with an 04 Sebring through Ga and Tenn. with no problems.
BTW the floor pan is structural steel, not the stamping metal of the body. Much stronger that in looks.

Tony Hanna
01-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks! That makes it easy then.