PDA

View Full Version : Repainting '88 Shelby Z

Jasmeleg08
01-12-2007, 01:01 AM
I am going to start sanding my car down for paint and I was wonder first of all do I need to sand it all the way down to metal or can I get away with just blending the stuff that has fallen off with the stuff still on the car and sealing it with a epoxy sealer? Also what is the color code for the stock 1988 Shelby Z Blue? I think it was called Daytona Blue if am remember right.

bfarroo
01-13-2007, 12:41 AM
With the pealing paint it's probably best to go down to bare metal if you have the time/resources to do it. when I did my 88 Z I used a 6in DA sander with 180 grit to sand anywhere the clear was coming off. When sanding you could tell when you got to a spot where the clear was still good, it would stop chipping off and blend out nicely. that's where I stopped sanding. I scuffed the rest of the car primed the sanded spots, wetsanded the primer and shot the paint and clear. That was a good 3 years ago and I haven't had any problems. This is on my daily driver year round in WI winters. It all depends on what your looking for in the paint job.

Jasmeleg08
01-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah I am going to start sanding it soon so I just wanted to make sure what I had to do. I still don't know what color that is though.

Mario
01-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Aircraft remover can be your friend too. :thumb:

Jasmeleg08
01-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Yeah it can but that is a hell of a lot of that stuff to use when stripping a whole car. I would be too scared of getting on stuff it is not support to get on.

ShelbyZD
01-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I just sanded the edges of the paint peels really well. If you get them smooth enough you can't tell they were there. The only problem was.. the paint kept peeling.. so I had to keep peeling it off until it didn't peel no more.