PDA

View Full Version : Head noise on start up

Lee'sdaytona
01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey all
My daytona sat for a week at school without starting it. I went out there at the end of the week and it started right up with about 5 seconds of head noise which sounded like oil starvation. I didn't worry too much because I figured a week was long enough for all the oil to drain down. Well today I started it after it had ran just yesterday and same thing. I don't know if I should be worried about this. I have Valvoline 10W30 in there now, non synthetic due to the rebuild but next oil change its ready for synthetic Mobil
1. It has been less than 3 months/3,000 since the last oil/filter change (stp filter)
Any thoughts would be great

Oh yeah and another thing. I have an A-520 in there and on the highway over say, 65mph, when I let off the gas quickly, it bucks forward. I don't know if this is unique to manual trannies or if there is some play in the transaxle somewhere, perhaps a loose U-joint? Is this normal?
thanks,
Lee

deuce dodge
01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
my thoughts.....................don't sweat the head noise as long as you have good oil pressure.

most bad things that will happen up there you can fix after breakin period.

now if it starts rattling much worse better fix it.

if worried pull valve cover...and do a look see..you say its a rebuild...did someone do the heads?????? do you have a warranty on them......????how long?????????

gentle whisper...did you plastiguage bearings????

as for tranny is it suspension dropping?????????nose only??

deuce

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2006, 03:05 AM
Whats the oil pressure reading using a real guage?

Lee'sdaytona
01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
OK, I just "rebuilt" it last summer--new rings and rod bearings, HG, and turbo II conversion. I had a rebuilt head put on a few years back. My oil pressure once warm at idle is 15psi, and does indeed increase about 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

Come to think of it, My sway bar bushing on the driver's side is shot. I wanted to replace it but someone broke the origional bracket and just welded it back on!! So I can't replace the bushing without a welder. I have to pay to have it done. Maybe thats the issue....
thanks,
Lee

EDIT: oh yeah no warrenty as far as I know...

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2006, 05:17 PM
You probably have a bad lifter.

JDAWG
01-18-2006, 11:55 PM
i have a mopar reman head on my car and it makes a ticking sound a few secs when I start it. I wouldnt worry about it. Just start it let it run for like 10 secs so the oil pressure can build the start driving.

Lee'sdaytona
01-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I let it run for a good 2 or 3 minutes before I take it out....unnecessary maybe, but it makes me feel better :)
thanks guys...I'll keep running it and if it gets worse, I'll be back to let you know!!
-Lee

jckrieger
01-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Try replacing the oil filter. I'd try a Purolator Pure 1 filter, as they seem to keep the oil clean and they have a silicone anti drainback valve in them.

Lee'sdaytona
01-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah someone else told me it could be a bad filter. I'll try to do an oil change over the weekend...supposed to be 60 degrees around my way!
-Lee

Clay
01-20-2006, 11:20 AM
If it only happens when you let it sit for long periods of time, ie a few days, then its probably just the oil draining out of the lifters while sitting.

Does it mean the lifters bad? not necessarily. as long as they pump back up and stop making noise after you start the engine, I wouldnt worry about it to much.