PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Weatherstrip

Tony Hanna
01-09-2007, 11:54 PM
The window scrapers and window track weatherstripping are starting to really show their age on the Sundance. The track weatherstripping isn't an extremely big deal, it just causes some wind noise, but the scrapers worry me. It seems like once they go the bottoms of the doors start to rot fairly soon after. So far my doors are in pretty good shape and I'd like to keep them that way. Is anybody repopping this stuff or am I stuck browsing the junkyards?
Thanks,
Tony

zin
01-10-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm also interested in this too, from what I've been able to determine, most of our cars from this era use the same (almost generic) weatherstrip for the window glass. I have to think that someone has it in bulk. As for the felt scraper, it's attached with staples, so it might be the same kind of deal, get it in bulk and cut it to fit, then staple away! Now, all we have to do is find the stuff! :) Going to try to hit up some body and auto glass shops soon as I have some time (so that could be a few years from now!).

Mike

Tony Hanna
01-10-2007, 02:12 AM
I'm also interested in this too, from what I've been able to determine, most of our cars from this era use the same (almost generic) weatherstrip for the window glass. I have to think that someone has it in bulk. As for the felt scraper, it's attached with staples, so it might be the same kind of deal, get it in bulk and cut it to fit, then staple away! Now, all we have to do is find the stuff! :) Going to try to hit up some body and auto glass shops soon as I have some time (so that could be a few years from now!).

Mike

I'd be really interested to see what you find. I think the felt stuff on the inside is in pretty good shape on mine it's the rubber squeegee pieces on the outside that are falling apart.
That and the stuff that's inside the tracks.
Tony

zin
01-10-2007, 02:16 AM
I'd be really interested to see what you find. I think the felt stuff on the inside is in pretty good shape on mine it's the rubber squeegee pieces on the outside that are falling apart.
That and the stuff that's inside the tracks.
Tony

It's the stuff in the tracks, or what the glass slides up in that seems to be a generic piece. It's the same stuff on a New Yorker and an Omni, so... The hunt begins, I'll be sure to post if I find something. As for the rubber, don't know, I've just made due with good looking JY pieces.

Mike

JDAWG
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
what kinda car, some of the window scrapers are still avail

Tony Hanna
01-10-2007, 01:54 PM
In my case it's an '88 Sundance.
Thanks,
Tony

JDAWG
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
2dr or 4dr?

Tony Hanna
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
2 door.

JDAWG
01-10-2007, 02:31 PM
heh, discontinued, looks like for some reason 91up is different. I have heard of people cutting daytona ones short.

Tony Hanna
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, thanks for looking. Do you know if they're made into the trim or anything screwy like that? If not, it might be possible to match it up to something similar in the aftermarket like zin was talking about. Maybe something that could be bought by the roll or by the foot and cut to fit...
Thanks again.

JDAWG
01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
all the ones on my car are part of the outer 'belt moulding' at the bottom of the window which are metal. But if i can be unattached from the metal i am sure a custom interior shop could find something.

Tony Hanna
01-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Cool, thanks man!
Sorry to keep with the questions, but how is that molding attached? I've never fooled with anything on a Chrysler product, just some old chevy stuff, so I don't want to destroy the molding trying to get it off the door.
Thanks again.

JDAWG
01-10-2007, 03:09 PM
well you may destroy it, most i have seen on these cars just push down over the sheetmetal but they are really really tight

Tony Hanna
01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Figured it might be something like that. I guess it was too much to hope that maybe they were bolted through to the inside of the door. Oh well, I'll give it a shot. If it seems like I'm going to destroy it I'll quit and maybe practice on a car at the junkyard.:)