PDA

View Full Version : Another 'how fast will it go' thread...89 Z

BoostMonkey
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey all, as you know I'm selling my RT and am looking at picking up a 89 T top Shelby Daytona T2/A555 car. It's got...
Walbro 255 pump
+20's
AFPR
k&n air filter
dsm bov
3" mandrel bent exhaust
(if I get it, it will also have a big SRT4 style FMIC)
Possible 3 stage boost control (start at 2 stages and will move to 3 if needed)
Now using the combo above, what kind of boost can I run and how fast u think she'll be? This will be most likely on BFG DR's...

It has a new T2/T3 clutch setup and the engine is 'fresh' with good 155 compression.
Which would be better for continued mods... +40's and a new Cal, or a bigger better turbo for the +20's... Mods will be limited though.

Michael

Bardo
01-09-2007, 01:33 PM
price?

BoostMonkey
01-09-2007, 01:58 PM
For the car? $1500

Michael

DodgeZ
01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Where you at and more info on the car.

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Kinda pointless getting a 3bar Map and +40's for stock turbo. I would upgrade the turbo and do the cal at the same time.

Don't forget an AFPR.

BoostMonkey
01-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm in WA and that's all the info I have on the car... As I first said, it's already got an AFPR...

So how much boost will the +20's support with the 255 pump and the AFPR??? That is provided I have a nice front mount...

Michael

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
It all depends on setup and the engines air and fuel requirements, generally a stockish type turbo, around 20-25 psi, but again, hard to guess. The cal vendor will know what you can run for boost when you give him/her your combo.

Dave
01-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Simon I doubt that, with the T3/T04E and a big FMIC the Spirit was at 13.1:1 at 3,800 RPMs, then again it may have shot down higher in the RPMs, but I think it would have stayed the same as I had the stock computer in, so the fuel curve would seem to be consistant.

I was using the same fuel mods with 52psi static fuel pressure running 19psi.

Personally I'd sell the 20's and buy some 40's. You can always lower the pressure to a point.

BoostMonkey
01-10-2007, 01:10 AM
I think for now I'll keep the +20's and the car's setup 'as is' except for a big FMIC. Then when I do step up to +40's, I'll do like Simon said and upgrade the turbo, and Cal, and injectors all at the same time. The car has an 'adjustable' petometer (is this a diode?) in the comp to eliminate boost cutout and he's had it to 17 psi no problems.

This car will be my DD so I don't want to go too big on the injectors until I can run a custom Cal.

So lets say I have the stock turbo, bigger FMIC, 3 stage boost control (7 psi, 12 psi, and 19 psi), some DR's, and 3" exhaust (will all the other mods I've stated above), what do you think the car is capable of on the street? 13's in sight?

Michael

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2007, 01:12 AM
As I said Bryan, every car is different, thats why theres no real numbers, its just a guess.

BM, I would say 13's for sure, sounds like you have a nice combo, :thumb:

oldgregg
01-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Kinda pointless getting a 3bar Map and +40's for stock turbo. I would upgrade the turbo and do the cal at the same time.

Don't forget an AFPR.An AFPR is not needed when you have a cal as the cal takes care of "it all".

Aries_Turbo
01-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Don't forget an AFPR.

nonsense poopypants! you may not need the +40's with the stock turbo but you will definitely need the 3-bar with the stock turbo. you wont need the afpr either if you can learn to mod the cal yourself.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
An AFPR is not needed when you have a cal as the cal takes care of "it all".

And that will never happen UNLESS its dyno tuned. We don't have MAF sensors that can correct on the fly. No 2 cars will be exact especially when dealing with over the counter cals.

nonsense poopypants! you may not need the +40's with the stock turbo but you will definitely need the 3-bar with the stock turbo. you wont need the afpr either if you can learn to mod the cal yourself.

Brian

He asked for opinions, I gave him mine. You guys say don't do alot of changes at once so now your saying its ok? See above response of AFPR.

BoostMonkey
01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Uh Oh.... I found an 87 GLHS for sale with 90K miles on it.:evil: "Runs Great". For $1300....... :thumb: *sigh* awaiting more info on the car. Might just go with that one instead of the 89 Z. Not sure though.

SO.... while we're on the topic of "possible ET's", lets say +40's, AFPR, t3/t4 hybrid turbo, Walbro 255, FMIC, CAI, BOV, 3 stage boost control, 3" exhaust, and a stage 5 Cal from FWDperf running xx boost? (can I get 25 psi with that turbo and injectors?):confused:

All this in an 87 GLHS, Low 12's within reach?:amen:

Michael

Aries_Turbo
01-11-2007, 06:17 PM
He asked for opinions, I gave him mine. You guys say don't do alot of changes at once so now your saying its ok? See above response of AFPR.

turbo and cal and +40's and 3-bar and afpr is alot more changes than stock turbo, +40's, 3-bar and simple scaled cal for the stock setup. scaling a cal that already runs the car for known flow injectors and known value map sensor is cake. its when you add flow mods like ported heads and turbos in there or try to correctly scale a cal for a 2.5 when there is no 2.5 cal for that year that the cal's become sketchy and need dyno tuning.

plus what cal will magically provide more fuel for a larger turbo upgrade with the stock injectors anyway? they are on the ragged edge for a high boost stock turbo setup.

i was just joking with the poopypants comment. im not joking with the above paragraphs. no hard feelings though. these are my opinions :)

Brian

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, I know about the poopy pants.

I agree with the what your saying but its alot of changes and or a new car, drive it, feel it out, then start changing stuff. I am guilty of changing a ton of stuff then having issues so hence why I say this.

As for the cal, 99% of the guys on this board buy one, based on this thread, I'd say he's one of them. :p