PDA

View Full Version : help with clutch choice

Mr overkill
01-16-2006, 06:53 PM
now that my motor might be back toghter soon i have to start looking at the trans

i am going to be installing a quifee unit and all but need some help

I do not know what clutch to get i am planning to be running in the 300 or above area. I know a "hd" clutch set wont do anything for me and even a rt pp and stuff wont do me any good either

I am afraid that i have to get sometihg like a cermic setup but then lose driveablity from the way it grabs.

Would a duel diaphriam pp with a good clutch be good?

any input would be great

Alex

cordes
01-16-2006, 07:13 PM
now that my motor might be back toghter soon i have to start looking at the trans

i am going to be installing a quifee unit and all but need some help

I do not know what clutch to get i am planning to be running in the 300 or above area. I know a "hd" clutch set wont do anything for me and even a rt pp and stuff wont do me any good either

I am afraid that i have to get sometihg like a cermic setup but then lose driveablity from the way it grabs.

Would a duel diaphriam pp with a good clutch be good?

any input would be great

Alex

8valves is running a dual diaphram PP and a 4 puck disk. he is putting down about 380HP. He does say there is definatly some chatter when it engauges.

I run a 4 puck disk with FWDs HD PP. Cindy said it should hold 300HP in a shadow no problem.

HOw much does your ride weigh. That is a pretty big factor.

Mr overkill
01-16-2006, 07:30 PM
its a 90 daytona shelby with nothing taken off

Chris W
01-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Alex,

We just added a new clutch kit to our line up that sounds like what you are looking for. It's a dual faced Kevlar disk combined with our extreme-duty pressure plate. Drivability is retained and there is a low wear rate with the Kevlar material. Flywheels and pressure plates will last much longer in comparison to some of the ceramic clutches that are out there.

Check them out here:

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=227

Give me a call or shoot me an email if you need more details on this clutch.

Chris-TU

LeGweg
01-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Are Kevlar discs better than ceramic discs? Can they hold the same amount of power?

Chris W
01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Are Kevlar discs better than ceramic discs? Can they hold the same amount of power?

Kevlar will not hold as much power as ceramic will. The key benefits of Kevlar are it is much more streetable and will not chew up the flywheel and pressure plate the way ceramic does. It engages smoother so there is less tendency for the vehicle to shutter or chatter when the pedal is released.

Chris-TU

Mr overkill
01-16-2006, 09:28 PM
hey chris thanks for the info. now your cermaic revlock clutch it the top of the line in holding power but from what i have seen they wear out very fast> Since this is sometihng new to you i dont think you will know how this kevlar will hold up to use.

GLHNSLHT2
01-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Kevlar requires a higher pressure to keep it from slipping. If the PP's have the fulcrum point moved to achieve this then it's a good PP. Some out there just add stiffer springs which puts more pressure on the cable and thrust bearing which will wear it out. Hopefully Chris' moved the fulcrum point. If so they're worth a try if the clamping force is above 2300lbs. If not I'd try www.specclutch.com. I've got a 6 puck ceramic clutchfrom them and it's very very nice. They even have a lightweight Pressure Plate option. They say it clamps at 2500-2600lbs by moving the fulcrum points and pedal pressure is just slightly more than stock.

Mr overkill
01-17-2006, 12:16 AM
ok hope chris chims in to see

Mario
01-17-2006, 04:41 AM
RP 4-Puck Clutch with HD PP. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Very satisfied with the unit. Doubles as a calf work-out as well. :)

dodge80_89
01-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Check out this site, they have some good looking clutches. I plan on getting one of them when my hybrid engine is finished. Not sure which one just yet. They are local to me so I can pick it up. Here is the link http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Dodge/Daytona/SPEC/Clutches-Flywheels/Clutch_Kits

GLHNSLHT2
01-17-2006, 10:15 AM
those are spec clutches just like in the link I gave above. www.specclutch.com

Frank
01-17-2006, 11:44 AM
hey chris thanks for the info. now your cermaic revlock clutch it the top of the line in holding power but from what i have seen they wear out very fast> Since this is sometihng new to you i dont think you will know how this kevlar will hold up to use.

Even though a new product, Chris usually tests these products a bit first.... based on past history.

Chris W
01-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Kevlar requires a higher pressure to keep it from slipping. If the PP's have the fulcrum point moved to achieve this then it's a good PP. Some out there just add stiffer springs which puts more pressure on the cable and thrust bearing which will wear it out. Hopefully Chris' moved the fulcrum point.

The fulcrum points were moved to increase the torque capacity on our Extreme-Duty pressure plates. Products were tested prior to release. We will be discussing our new clutches in detail in the TurbosUnleashed section of this forum.

:thumb:

Chris-TU