PDA

View Full Version : It Runs! 2.4 Turbo Spirit on SDS*pics*

Speedeuphoria
01-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I got the 2.4 started up and idling today after a no start last night after an all nighter to get everything hooked up.
I had 2 small leaks, the 4yr old radiator cap I had sitting in the shed leaks, and 2 fittings on the trans cooler, no biggie

Still have to finalize the wiring and hook the alternator up, put the rest of the exhaust on, put the interior in and front clip back on.

Pics soon

Mario
01-06-2007, 06:07 PM
That's great man! I've been anticipating it for some time now.

Dave
01-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Very awesome!

mcsvt
01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Excellent! Pics would be great. SDS is what I am planning when I am ready for a 2.4. :thumb:

Speedeuphoria
01-06-2007, 09:24 PM
That's great man! I've been anticipating it for some time now.

you and me both:thumb:
your pretty close to me anyway(Battle Creek), we'll have to meet up sometime

I got the rest of the exhaust on(FWD performance 3" stainless to a 3" Meagans racing fartcan)
Fixed the leaks

you can see lots of pics in the project log link in my sig, more will be added and I'll spread them around here as well

lancer402
01-07-2007, 12:10 AM
for us forgetful ones what is SDS?

andy

mcsvt
01-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Simple Digital Systems (http://www.sdsefi.com/)

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Awesome, another 16 valve monster, :amen: :partywoot:

Speedeuphoria
01-07-2007, 01:50 AM
well heres some pics, just temporary wiring, air filter, ect..

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Elizabeths143.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Elizabeths142.jpg

older ones
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture233.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/IM000308.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/IM000310.jpg

Mario
01-07-2007, 03:24 AM
Yummy. I really like how you did that firewall. So where do I get to see this thing at, Martin or Milan?

ohiorob
01-07-2007, 09:11 AM
:thumb: . so are you going to bring the Spirit to the next SDAC. that would be sweet. by the way, I got the mini van running yesterday.

GLHS592
01-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Congratulations! I rode in one of those 16 valve monsters yesterday on 18 psi. You're gonna love it!

glhs875
01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Looking good! :thumb:

mcsvt
01-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Even with temp wiring that engine bay looks great. :thumb:

rdnoel86
01-07-2007, 02:48 PM
:thumb: great job!!! I'm very interested to hear how the sds system performs for you

87csx2.4
01-07-2007, 07:26 PM
You've got alot more room between the intake and the fan than i do,looks sweet matt.:thumb:

Speedeuphoria
01-07-2007, 10:18 PM
You've got alot more room between the intake and the fan than i do,looks sweet matt.:thumb:

I got that thicker radiator and wasnt sure if the stock fan would fit so I got the thinnest one that had some umph.
Thanks for all of your help thus far Kevin

well after some more probs(starter wire shorting to the starter case and also not firing #1) it oficially starts up great and idles. I have great oil pressure and no leaks. I got the timing set and now to get the rest of the car back together and hook up the meth injection and boost controler. It started snowing today so I may take it slow for awhile.

Thanks to everyone else that has answered my silly questions.

Rob: I'm not sure about SDAC(where's it at?)
Mario: It will more than likely be at Martin

Dave
01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
That's great to see someone building something so beautiful. You did an incredible job on that! :thumb:

TurbododgePirate
01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Matt, awesome job man. WHat kind of radiator is that?

Speedeuphoria
01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Matt, awesome job man. WHat kind of radiator is that?
Griffin
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRI%2D1%2D26241%2DX&N=0&autoview=sku

Speedeuphoria
01-11-2007, 06:07 AM
well everytime I look at those pics I 2 things stand out and make me angry. The rusted new bolts on the coils(no stainless for that size) and the rusted new M/C. I will deff be painting that stuff and more when it gets warm. Also taking the overspray off the throttle cable

zshadow
01-11-2007, 12:15 PM
dude that looks nasty!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

i wanna see vids asap!

Nemesismachine
01-14-2007, 03:36 AM
I love the overflow bottle. :)

2.216VTurbo
01-14-2007, 12:05 PM
well everytime I look at those pics I 2 things stand out and make me angry. The rusted new bolts on the coils(no stainless for that size) and the rusted new M/C. I will deff be painting that stuff and more when it gets warm. Also taking the overspray off the throttle cable

I bought one of those aftermarke M/C's and the rust bothered me so much that I went back to the factory style (from a 4 W disc LeBaron to get the 24mm). Funny how it's the little things that nag at you, then again if they didn't, you wouldn't have an engine bay that looks that good:thumb: Nicely done!

Speedeuphoria
02-03-2007, 01:39 PM
looking for opinnion on what else to datalog. I have a Innovate LC1 and LMA3 so I can datalog 6 things total.
A/F, EGT, MAP, RPM and 2 others
it has a built in G meter that records acceleration, and they have a formula that I could use to get HP from it. I'm not sure thats its accurate, but as long as the traction is good it should be close. I would have to use 2 channels to do this because I have an auto and the converter slip would mess up the info, so I would have to datalog speed sensor as well.

I'm not set on this, but may hook it up later and see how it does. I thought about tps, but using map is about as good because you can tell load.

my SDS shows IAT and duty but no log, so I could also log these.

what would produce better info to compare?

87csx2.4
02-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I would like to start loging iat I have all the parameters I got from sds for the sensor Im using I just havent had time to configure the logworks.It's pretty cool to watch the hand held controller and watch the iat start to climb until the methanol kicks in and then it steady drops.Im going to end up in a ditch doing this I need to be able to watch the road and just log it.:eyebrows:

Speedeuphoria
02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I agree, what about duty or tps?

did you just get that buck?

87csx2.4
02-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree, what about duty or tps?

did you just get that buck?yep tps shouldnt be a problem,it would be easy to configure in logworks anyway.I dont know how you would do duty cycle though,if you figure it out let me know.That buck was killed in Iowa this year it is the potential new state record a friend was there and took a pic check it out.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c326/turbodavis/Record1.jpg

ohiorob
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
yep tps shouldnt be a problem,it would be easy to configure in logworks anyway.I dont know how you would do duty cycle though,if you figure it out let me know.That buck was killed in Iowa this year it is the potential new state record a friend was there and took a pic check it out.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c326/turbodavis/Record1.jpg

:thumb: on the deer and a nice pic of the car too.

Speedeuphoria
05-20-2007, 09:47 PM
new pics, took here for a drive today to make sure things were in order before putting the front clip on. Took a datalog of the trip. Its still in progress as you can tell. I need to change the map for datalogging because its off and hard to compare w/ the SDS. Have to finish the interior, front clip, hook up the meth injection and boost controller(among other things, like buff it out some).

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture239.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture238.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture235.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture240.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture242.jpg
Any way I have to get another muffler in the center because its loud.

2.216VTurbo
05-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Wow, thanks for the updated pics. Your Spirit rocks:rockon: What are your driving impressions? More details please... Are you bound for SDAC with it??? Would love to see it there:dancingbana:

Vigo
05-21-2007, 12:42 AM
i think ive just been blinded by potential, lol. that thing is going places.

TonaChris
05-21-2007, 03:00 AM
That is the sweetest spirit...ever! Awesome job:thumb: My 2.4 arrives this week:partywoot:

87csx2.4
05-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Looks good matt.:thumb:

dds78910
05-21-2007, 10:48 AM
WOW!:eek: That spirit is looking good!:thumb:

Subliminal
05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
One word:

Daaaaammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Sweet!

Two words? :(

stitus
05-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Envy of thy neighbors possessions? Tsk Tsk......DAMN IT! lookin' good! But only shootin' for 10's? Why not 9's or 8's? :P

Speedeuphoria
05-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow, thanks for the updated pics. Your Spirit rocks:rockon: What are your driving impressions? More details please... Are you bound for SDAC with it??? Would love to see it there:dancingbana:

well it pulls good w/ little to no boost, didnt get real crazy. It is deff loud and the ride is stiff. I wont be able to make it to SDAC this year but I plan on making it next year no matter what

Envy of thy neighbors possessions? Tsk Tsk......DAMN IT! lookin' good! But only shootin' for 10's? Why not 9's or 8's? :P

Well its a street car for the most part(well at least that what I tell myself:D ) I know when I turn up the boost they will kick me out and then I'll have to make a 10pt cage w/ dash bar because I have "firewall modifications"

I would love a 9.99 but I think its out of reach.

Thanks for all the complements, I've been slacking hard and working a lot this year. It should be done by now but it will be shortly will be(for now). I went to the track last weekend to see some TD's run and the rest that were there. It really got me motivated to get off my butt, got some time off next month so it should be wraped up then.

t3rse
05-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Nothing is out of reach if you have enough determination...keep up the good work :thumb:

1FastCSX289
05-23-2007, 07:23 AM
looking for opinnion on what else to datalog. I have a Innovate LC1 and LMA3 so I can datalog 6 things total.
A/F, EGT, MAP, RPM and 2 others
my SDS shows IAT and duty but no log, so I could also log these.

what would produce better info to compare?

I am running SDS with an LM-1 and RPM convertor. I am logging A/F, RPM, Boost (MAP), Throttle position, and now that my meth is hooked up....IAT.

I would add TPS to your list. When tuning with the SDS its nice to know where in the log full throttle was reached.

Speedeuphoria
05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah I hooked up the tps, had the A/F, EGT, RPM and Map(on the LMA3, which isnt going to cut it for me as of now, so I wired it to the external 3bar). I will prob end up hooking up the IAT also when I get the meth hooked up as well.

It has a onboard setup for injector duty and built in 2 axsis accelerometer 2G's in all directions, havent calibrated it yet. Prob try it out then switch over to the IAT. I also may hook up the duty when I get the boost turned up to try that also. The EGT dosent want to work, when I 1st started the car it seemed to work, now seems to be pegged all the time and when I did a little datalogging it would stay pegged then drop down a couple times, need to check it out(I think that the probe is not grounded so I have to jumper the probe ground to the LMA3 ground havent tried it yet). I have another EGT w/ gauge in cyl #4 so I can go off that(the probe hooked to the LMA3 is in cyl #1).

I need to call SDS to get the voltages for the map to configure the logworks unless you might have it?? Also the SDS shows vac and psi but the logworks does not they just use straight PSIa or pressures, so there is some math involved to get the same outputs/numbers to compare and tune.

Speedeuphoria
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
well I called SDS and got the voltage points for the 2 and 3 bar map sensors, I have the 3bar in a dif file that can be directly imported to logworks if anyone needs it. I messed around w/ it and nothing shows up, just the min value on the display in LW, so I switched and tried a different channel and it works so I think the channel 4 of my auxbox is dead, well at least to me(I believe the internal map sensor still works but dosent read 0-5v(I'll be calling innovate tomarror)

I put the front fenders on and the tires hit the front section when turning, so I drilled some new mounting holes to make the fenders stick outward a little more, I need to make a longer attaching rod that holds front part of the fenderout out more. I think I can get enough to make it clear ,as the bumper and fenders are forgiving:nod:

Put the bumber on and the pass headlight, then tried the driverside and the headlight mounting bucket wont sit flush because of the upper IC pipe is where the adjustment leg of the bucket is supposed to be. A little trimming on that and cutting the IC pipe shorter and moving it a little and I think it will be good.

Its allways something that turns a 5min job into an hour+ or re-engineering:(

Its getting closer to getting lots of tunning work, I ordered a magnaflow 1.75" muffler for the wastgate dump because its loud when it opens and have to finish piping it under the car(it points at the K frame as of now), the neighbors are mad and anal, but its getting quieter

ohiorob
05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
I had to pull out on the bottom front of the front fenders to make the slicks work and it looks alittle bet cool too. man to bad you can't make it to the SDAC this year.

Speedeuphoria
06-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I actually have this weekend off and thought about making a trip to SDAC but without the Spirit. Havent got much driving time on it yet. Still tweaking things, its tuned good now @7psi and the cruising values ect.. Next time out will be uping the boost and tuning the Meth injection. I am going to try and make it to the local track Friday instead.

I re did the wastegate to go back into the exhaust because the screamer divorced wastegate was a too much for me and I have a cutout that will help at the track. I wedged the fenders out as far as they would go and it works good. Working on getting the rest of the exhaust how I want it and adding a hanger or 2. I have a 2x2 square steel rear frame brace and the 3" is tight between that and the panhard brace(no movement) so I'm going to notch that and add a bend to the rear to get the muffler where I want it.

Also the hood dosent shut properly, have to use some muscle cause the latch hits the IC(need to bend the mount back a little) and the fpr sits an inch too high and hits the hood.

Also I lowered the rear an inch or so for now, in the pics above thats as high as the car will sit.

Oh can you tell from the pics that the rear door windows are Lexan??:D