PDA

View Full Version : Lambo doors on a Shadow convertible?

CoolV300C
01-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Thinking about doing this to my Shadow convertible. Anyone seen one with them? Any kits around for Shadow doors?

Frank
01-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Negative ghost rider. No one makes these for our cars... plus its a shadow, even if you did, no respect would be given by the world because it is a shadow. ;)

Murphy
01-06-2007, 12:00 AM
seems like it might be a cool idea but it wouldnt it the car right unless it looked like dodgeshadowchick's ricemobile

GLHS592
01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
When is the world gonna learn that "Lambo" doors aren't cool on anything other than a Lamborghini? Hmmm....maybe that's why they're called "Lambo" doors. I've never heard them called "Shadow" doors or "Honda Prelude" doors.

Whorse
01-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Don't forget Dodge Stealths and Cadillac Escalades. I can't stand SUVs with doors like that. They're for exotic cars that are tough to get in and out of, not a 1980s coupe worth as much as the doors on the car.

BlueBaron
01-06-2007, 03:39 AM
If you have to open the door normaly about 15 degrees, to clear the opening for the upward lift....
Then it's not supposed to have an upward lift.

Last episode of Nopi TV I saw, a guy opened the scissor door on his Honda like he was the only person to ever do it. He had a look on his face like "Wow huh? didn't expect to see that happen huh?"

I'm still waiting for someone with a Murcielago to show up at Unique Autosports and ask them to convert it to regular swing doors.

JDAWG
01-06-2007, 12:14 PM
all they use are a couple hinges and like 2 liftgate supports, so all you would have to do is take off the fender and build your own brackets and what not.

ps I think it would look ghey too.

speedyshelby
01-06-2007, 02:28 PM
It does look strange. On one of parts sundance I had made a hinge and shocks. Got welded on and working then I was going remake all of it beefer and never have. I'd plan on doing to my charger but haven't thought of it again. The car was a 4 door and the door weighed the same as l body 2 door do. I wish that I had taken a picture of what it look like.

GLHS592
01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Now that I think about it, you should get a 4 door Shadow and "Lambo" all 4 doors.

Mario
01-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Don't forget Dodge Stealths and Cadillac Escalades. I can't stand SUVs with doors like that. They're for exotic cars that are tough to get in and out of, not a 1980s coupe worth as much as the doors on the car.

They started putting them on their cars due to the width of the vehicle.

Whorse
01-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Which makes them tough to get in and out of.

CoolV300C
01-07-2007, 12:38 PM
SO I gues that would be a big no from everyone.

GLHSKEN
01-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Most people on this board are not big proponents of "modifying" cars with any type of body kit. Sorry, but I doubt we'll have the answer you need here.

CoolV300C
01-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I think I got the answer. It would look goofy. i thought that without the full door frame on the convertible door, it would look better. Guess not.

Frank
01-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I think that sealing the window against the weather stripping would be harder to seal.

Frank

CoolV300C
01-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Probably would be. But it isn't a daily driver. Just to drive on nice days, and the top will be down most of the time.

Frank
01-07-2007, 01:21 PM
gotcha. any pics of the convt?

CoolV300C
01-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, here's one. i got it last year with about 55K miles. Planning to put on '87 CSX wheels that I already bought (Just need the rubber) and converting to CSX spec suspension. Then CSX ground FX, and re-paint same color green. Then engine and interior upgrades, but those will come when $$ is available.

Frank
01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Very clean! The only problem with CSX ground effects is that the body trim is slightly different.

CoolV300C
01-07-2007, 09:57 PM
How so?

Frank
01-07-2007, 10:10 PM
The difference in design is in three locations - front bumper cover, rear bumper cover, and finally the doors. Obviously the front two are piece of cake since you change those. However the trim on the doors is above the side skirts. Its the black trim.

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/vntdam.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/vntwhl.jpg

Finally some pictures I took at SDAC-16

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/620/Img_4079.jpg
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/620/Img_4078.jpg

CoolV300C
01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I wish I had to worry about the sides. The sides are virtually impossible to find, and so I decided to use the side fx from a CSX-T which I was able to get through the website. I will be ordering a front air dam and rear wing new as those are still available, and someone on TD.com is having copies of the rears made as a group buy, so I'm getting one of those. The stock sides get a ripple/warp thing that I don't like, and the CSX-T's are simple and straight, so I prefer those.
Thanks for the info. Wish I had room for a real CSX. For now I'll have to stick with my convertible.

Whorse
01-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Honestly I think that 300C in your picture would suit those doors better than the shadow. Like most body modifications, there will always be a crowd that doesn't like them because of the reputation certain other crowds have given them.

That's a gorgeous shadow, however, and the csx kits on it would look terrific.

amcpacer
01-28-2007, 03:33 AM
I think lambo doors would look great on any 2 door TD. I wish I could have lambo doors on my daytona.

Bardo
01-28-2007, 07:38 AM
I think lambo doors would look great on any 2 door TD. I wish I could have lambo doors on my daytona.

you can. you just need hit the jym every day for the next 3 years. then some 2ton schocks to hold them up:p

Murphy
02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
i think the doors on the shadow are too short for lambo doors to look right, maybe a g body or a j-body would look cool

BARRON
02-06-2007, 08:55 PM
so.. us guys with coupes.. GULLWING DOORS ANYONE? :D

SL#189
02-06-2007, 11:10 PM
so.. us guys with coupes.. GULLWING DOORS ANYONE? :D

It's probably just me... But I think those would rock an SC :eyebrows:

Murphy
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
how about suicide lambo doors? that would be quite interesting

amcpacer
02-07-2007, 03:20 PM
I think the top of our doors are too weak to work with gullwing doors without some serious reinforcement. The roof would not like that extra weight. That would make a DayLorean on a Daytona. Now on a shadow convertible gullwing would be quite difficult without some super strong glass!

dds78910
02-07-2007, 07:39 PM
You can buy universal hinges.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-LAMBO-LAMBORGHINI-VERTICAL-DOOR-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQihZ007QQitem Z170077795293QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
The hinge is designed to open the door like normal a couple inches and then the door lifts up, so the seal wont be affected. Because when the door is in the down position it opens and closes like normal. And most of us who have been around these cars long enough no that for our cars, usually the universal parts are the only option!

I think that sealing the window against the weather stripping would be harder to seal.

Frank

Clay
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
the thing that irks me about the "lambo" doors than anything (well, other than the fact they look ghey) is that the real thing doesn't even open like that, OR look that way when open. They flip UP, and allow entrance and egress from the car. Then they flip down, thats it. No open door out, push up to funny angle where you cant get in our out very well.

GLHS592
02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
When is the world gonna learn that "Lambo" doors aren't cool on anything other than a Lamborghini? Hmmm....maybe that's why they're called "Lambo" doors. I've never heard them called "Shadow" doors or "Honda Prelude" doors.

I'm gonna quote myself because I'm right.

1990 shadow vnt
02-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I looked into getting them for my shadow.Icalled every import and performance shop for install quotes.
The questionable or shady shops will install any cheap universal kit you bring them.
The reputable shops that do good work and stand behind there work wont install universal kits.Im told they dont hold up and never work 100%.
I tryed to get a set special ordered for the shadow but nobody will make it.
Everything that i have bought with the word universal in it...never works right.If anyone get creative with a universal kit and a welder on a shadow,please let me know.
................just my 2 cents.......ryan

dodgeshadowchik
02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
seems like it might be a cool idea but it wouldnt it the car right unless it looked like dodgeshadowchick's ricemobile

my car gets no love. :D lol!

ricemobile's headed to the big junk yard in the sky pretty soon here. as for the original topic, i'd say no on the lambo doors. then again i've never really been a fan of those to begin with.... even when i was in "ricer" mode.

BlueBaron
03-06-2007, 01:37 PM
If you want, you can go all the way like Koenigsegg.
http://www.koenigsegg.com/graphics/enlarge/Door_017.jpg
http://www.koenigsegg.com/graphics/enlarge/ccx_studio_side_open.jpg

As Jeremy Clarkson said, don't park next to a curb though.