PDA

View Full Version : PLOG : "Project Pepto"

TurbododgePirate
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, it has finally begun. The ressurection of my 1986 Shelby Charger "Project Pepto".

Since 2000 I have been researching and gathering parts for this project, and my goal is to have her completed and back together by this summer.

The car: I recently purchased this 1986 Shelby Charger from Pat 85shelbycharger. It had all major rust repair completed, and just needed some simple ding and dent repair. The car is currently waiting for spring to get primer, and paint.

The shortblock : I purchased a well-seasoned 2.4 block from Ohiorob to use in this conversion. It has since been torn apart, cleaned, and bored .020. I am using 8.0:1 JE forged pistons, 2.5 rods 2.5 rod bearings, a 2.4 crank with SRT4 bearings. Srt4 oil pump, pan and pickup, Srt4 water pump.

The head : The head is a run-of-the-mill 1997 2.0 head CNC ported by INDY cylinder heads.

The exhaust: UPDATE RT Ernie Exhaust manifold.

The Turbo: A brand new Holset HY35 turbo purchased from Aaron Miller

Intake : UPDATE Indy Intake

IC: Stock SRT4 intercooler. Hey, for $100 who could argue?

Fuel: In tank 255lph walbro fuel pump feeding a TU accufab universal AFPR feeding a custom fuel rail to Seimens/Deka 72 psi injectors. These are low impedance, 2.4 ohm injectors.

Control: A DIY Autotune Megasquirt V3.0 and relay board.

Tranny: 3.55 FD Neon NVT 350 with OBX LSD

Clutch: For break-in I have a Jeff2B modified SRT4 clutch (Modified to fit in the NVT350 bellhousing with the 2.0 starter) which will be replaced with a fidanza flywheel, Audi 1.8A4 PP and large spline ceramic clutch of some sort.

AS this is a project log, pictures and assembly will come as the project moves along. It's winter here, so please don't expect too much. :)

mcsvt
01-05-2007, 11:43 AM
So this is just a tease then? ;)

Glad it's getting under way :thumb: Can't wait for the updates.

TurbododgePirate
01-05-2007, 12:18 PM
So this is just a tease then? ;)

Glad it's getting under way :thumb: Can't wait for the updates.

Nope Gary, I will be posting updates as I build things. Pics to come tonight.

93sundance
01-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Sounds like its going to be a mean machine.

Mario
01-05-2007, 04:04 PM
What's going on with the 87 Chassis?

Project Pepto...you plan on painting this thing a pale pink color?

supercrackerbox
01-05-2007, 06:15 PM
That does sound like a pretty stout combo. Can't wait for updates!

WVRampage
01-05-2007, 07:55 PM
I cant wait to see it finished,what I have seen is looking real good.

TurbododgePirate
01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Update:

After recieving my Megasquirt stimulator, relay board and V3.0 from www.DIYautotune, Assembly begins. With the help of Brian Bucar (TurboAries)- Thanks for showing me how to correctly solider PCB's!

The pic is my assembled DIY Autotune Stimulator.

TurbododgePirate
01-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Next project was to build the relay board. Because I am installing a 1985 Carbed L body harness with a external voltage regulator, I don't have to mess with the electronics from the old injector setup. However, I need to use the relay board to control the fuel pump, and cooling fans. It also helps with wiring and cleans up the entire underhood area. The fuses, and external wiring are not installed on this picture.

TurbododgePirate
01-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Next item to finish is the actual megasquirt V3.0 main board. In this picture I have completed up to step 40. All testing to this point has gone very well. They have been exactly to instructions on www.megamanual.com. However, I don't get the "echo" when it is connected. All numbers/symbols type in just fine and show up on the screen which the guide seems to say is normal. I will post more pictures as it goes along as this will be specific for the 2.4 in a turbododge.

Thanks for looking!!!!!!!

WVRampage
01-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Nice looking.So when are you gona paint the car.

TurbododgePirate
01-07-2007, 09:55 PM
What's going on with the 87 Chassis?

The 1987 Chassis is sitting there until I can find some time for it. I had $300 in the car and about $700 in the 8 point rollcage, and nobody wanted to give me $700 for it. You want it?

Project Pepto...you plan on painting this thing a pale pink color?

Pale pink... good god no. But this car will be sick :)

TurbododgePirate
01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
CURSE RADIO SHACK! Their "Mall" stores no longer carry resistors...... all I wanted was a 1.3K to 2K resistor.

Bardo
01-09-2007, 12:26 AM
circuit city talk to jim in roadshop tell him aj sent you

Mario
01-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Send me some pics and info to mario_dicesare@yahoo.com please.

TurbododgePirate
01-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Okay, this is a simple picture of the board to this point. You will note that I used a 1.5K Resistor at R12 and D1 and 2 I used a jumper. Basically a jumper is simply a lead that you have already cut off another piece during the build. Simple, and free. The Neon/420A writeup states to use the 1.5K resistor at R12. I had to go to Radioshack to get one. Cheap.

In step 50 I only installed the Hall/optical/etc. AS Per step 50a. I skipped ahead to step 52 and installed the appropriate jumpers.

TurbododgePirate
01-13-2007, 12:00 AM
For step 53 I installed the Mapdaddy 4 bar map sensor.

For step 54 I installed the provided resistors.

During Step 55 testing I noted that the MAP sensor did not read. This is due to the fact that I did not download the MSnS E code yet, and in the normal Megatune code there is no provision for a 4 bar map. I am confident that the map is functional and in correctly. MSnS E code will be loaded when the board is completed.

Boostjunkie at neons.org and the megasquirt and spark site has been a great help to me during this process.

Only 25 steps to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TurbododgePirate
01-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, here it is. The standard V3.0 board completed and tested to work correctly.

While finishing the last 25 steps I came across only one major difficulty. When you install the 4 bar map sensor, as I did, it makes it very difficult to install a few components. The regular map may not have a problem with this, but I did.

Anyway, you can see the board in the picture below. I had just finished testing it, and all is well. The next step will be the neon modificationsand loading the Extra code for MSnS-E to support the 4 bar map as well as ignition controls.

I'll keep you informed.

DC Turismo
01-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Very nice work Heath! I'm very excited that thing's are progressing for you now! Keep up the good work.

Frank
01-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Very nice! Told you that you will be alright. ;)

WVRampage
01-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Looking goos I told you it would go togather well.

TurbododgePirate
01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Very nice! Told you that you will be alright. ;)

Thanks man. I already have a good base to start with from the texasneons group. A guy also running a 2.4 with 4 bar map. Hopefully that will get me running easily with some minor tweaks.

~~H

Garffus
01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Nice work! lets see/hear it go...

are others running this ecu in TDs yet?

i guess having a carb'd car meant you could pretty much leave all the original harness alone

TurbododgePirate
01-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Nice work! lets see/hear it go...

are others running this ecu in TDs yet?

i guess having a carb'd car meant you could pretty much leave all the original harness alone

Well, the 86 SC I have was originally a turboed car. So all I had to do was get a engien harness from a 85 GLH carbed car. I am still looking for bulkhead diagrams to make sure I don't have to change anything else. Oh, and I plan to have AC.

GLHS377
01-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey heath, if you need some long distance tuning and log deciphering( or just plain old cipherin!) hit me up! the 0.5" fuel rail will be fine. get your supports all measured up and i can cut those out on teh cnc as well as bore it. i'm doing some cool stuff, so i'm pretty busy, just let me know with some advance, eh?
-jason

TurbododgePirate
01-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey heath, if you need some long distance tuning and log deciphering( or just plain old cipherin!) hit me up! the 0.5" fuel rail will be fine. get your supports all measured up and i can cut those out on teh cnc as well as bore it. i'm doing some cool stuff, so i'm pretty busy, just let me know with some advance, eh?
-jason

I'll let you know. I'm also working on that rear bumper thing as well. Thanks!~~Heath

TurbododgePirate
01-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, the two high current ignition drivers went in just fine. No complaints whatsovever. Now I need to upload the MSNScode and all should be ready to wire. Luckily I have 12 foot of wire marked every 6 inches. SWEET!! I put the appropriate jumpers in, and wires needed for the two VB921's and 2 330ohm resistors. Now I need to get to work on the neon sensors, and reconfiguring the carbed L body harness for a Neon alternator. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

contraption22
01-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Very cool. Wish I had your electronic abilities.

TurbododgePirate
01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Very cool. Wish I had your electronic abilities.

Hahaha Seriously, I have NO electronic capabilities. I am a COMPLETE novice. That's probably why I am having a beiatch of a time loading the MSnS Software right now :)

Although I understand why the shops charge so much for the completed units now.

Speedeuphoria
01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
are you just running an external VR?

contraption22
01-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Hahaha Seriously, I have NO electronic capabilities. I am a COMPLETE novice. That's probably why I am having a beiatch of a time loading the MSnS Software right now :)

Although I understand why the shops charge so much for the completed units now.

Well... I'm still envious of your ambition. I'm afraid of CHEM, let alone building my own ECM.

TurbododgePirate
01-24-2007, 03:27 PM
are you just running an external VR?

Yes, I am using a 1985 Carbed omni harness to simplify things. It has a external Voltage regulator.

Speedeuphoria
01-26-2007, 11:17 AM
assuming mopar VR, all you need is one feild to each of the VR wires, the blue one on the VR(top middle of the triangle shaped plug) splices to a key switched. I just ran it to the fuse box so it doesnt work when cranking

TurbododgePirate
01-26-2007, 11:35 AM
assuming mopar VR, all you need is one feild to each of the VR wires, the blue one on the VR(top middle of the triangle shaped plug) splices to a key switched. I just ran it to the fuse box so it doesnt work when cranking

All I need for the relay board is a switched power source, 12Vconstant, and ground. I want to keep from chopping up the carbed harness as much as I can. Although I know I will need to change the alternator plugs to the Stratus style.

Other than that I just need to tap into a 12V switched really, as I am going to run the ground to the frame, and the 12V constant to the battery.

So could I just splice into the VR then for the 12V switched?

~~Heath

Speedeuphoria
01-26-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure what exactly you mean?

You could(just fuse it for sure) What does it control?

I ran all new stuff on mine cause I deleted all the engine wiring and started fresh.

I had to go back under the dash to find 3 diff switched sources.
1 that was only on when key all the way forward(cranking) for the starter(and relay).

Another that was on anytime the key is in run, for coils/injectors/fuel pump/SDS computer/wideband o2(doesnt loose power)

then I already had my gauges to a diff key switched(from fuse box)
and then got another from fuse box for the VR

the fuse box has power when the key is in run but when you go to crank it loses power till the key goes back to run.

TurbododgePirate
01-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure what exactly you mean?

You could(just fuse it for sure) What does it control?

I ran all new stuff on mine cause I deleted all the engine wiring and started fresh.

I had to go back under the dash to find 3 diff switched sources.
1 that was only on when key all the way forward(cranking) for the starter(and relay).

Another that was on anytime the key is in run, for coils/injectors/fuel pump/SDS computer/wideband o2(doesnt loose power)

then I already had my gauges to a diff key switched(from fuse box)
and then got another from fuse box for the VR

the fuse box has power when the key is in run but when you go to crank it loses power till the key goes back to run.

OH! Well, the relay board holds fan relays, fuel pump relays, and all the wiring for the megasquirt controlled items. It really simplifies the installation. So, I am going to run a stock carned GLH harness so I can use all the normal functions, horn, lights, wipers, etc. and just take a 12V from the batery, frame ground, and the 12V switched. The relay board is fused as well.

Heath

Speedeuphoria
01-27-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah I looked it up and saw a setup diagrahm. You'll deff need the one thats allways on for those things, I found it in a wire comming from the steering column, but since you still have the harness I'm pretty sure you could look at a diagrahm and get it from where the ASD relay was/is

how much do you have in the megasquirt?
If I were to do another car(not that I need one) I would use this setup

TurbododgePirate
01-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I am having software upgrade issues. More updates as soon as I sort them out.

TurbododgePirate
02-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, I finally sorted out my programming issues. I had to load the MSnS E firmware through the hyperterminal, and the directions on the megamanual site weren't exact. Anyway, I got it loaded and now the programming is correct, all I have to do is start plugging in variables. That starts tomorrow.

WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

WVRampage
02-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Sounds like its going well,next time im up that way you will have 2 clamps at your house.

GLHS377
02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
hey Heath, here's some good pricign on A/N fittings!

http://www.batinc.net/mocal

hope you haven't buoght yet! BTW, push ons are only for push on type hose.. you prolly knew that tho..
good luck!
-jason

TurbododgePirate
02-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Console pics

85shelbycharger
02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Console pics

Are those old pictures? Or do you have the interior installed in my old car already?

Bardo
02-23-2007, 01:44 AM
lol i remember that plastic

TurbododgePirate
02-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Are those old pictures? Or do you have the interior installed in my old car already?

Old pics... the new interior is black .

rdnoel86
02-25-2007, 12:09 AM
A couple questions for you Heath, Are you going to run a MSD unit it with the MS? I'm wanting to run a rev limiter and am thinking of going that route seeing the MS doesn't have a limiter. Also, did you find a black interior from a donor car or did you dye it black.....At least 1 of our cars we want to go with a black interior, and maybe blue in another....I'm not a fan of the light grey......Do you have pics of the black interior??........Thanx....Don

TurbododgePirate
02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
A couple questions for you Heath, Are you going to run a MSD unit it with the MS? I'm wanting to run a rev limiter and am thinking of going that route seeing the MS doesn't have a limiter. Also, did you find a black interior from a donor car or did you dye it black.....At least 1 of our cars we want to go with a black interior, and maybe blue in another....I'm not a fan of the light grey......Do you have pics of the black interior??........Thanx....Don

Don, No I am using stock electronics, and I do believe that you can set up MSnS E with a rev limiter that cuts fuel or spark.

I am buying a new black carpet, and painting the rest with vinyl and fabric dyes.

Pics when I am finished with prep and painting the interior stuff.

WVRampage
02-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Looking good,I like the way the console pics.

GLHS377
02-26-2007, 01:11 AM
BTW heath, those look like 52mm gauges.. you wanna try run a pair of these?:
http://www.kradcarbon.com/auto/gauges01.jpg
they normally have 1.5" of flange around em...

i guess it's hard to tell, but the gauges are angled at 15 degrees. torwards the driver.

just lemme know.

-jason

TurbododgePirate
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Okay, so I checked out the bulkhead diagrams today and it looks like the 85 carbed harnesses I have will plug directly into the 1986 dash. Since I am running a relay board to control the fuel pump and fan relays i'll be in great shape.

SWEET!!

TurbododgePirate
02-26-2007, 10:45 AM
These are pics of Len Alaya's front motor mounts from www.neons.org, but I am planning on doing the same thing unless Jason and I find out it is a bad idea.

GLHS377
02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
yo. nice fabrication. i don't like that at all. why?
all it does is load the core support/front chassis structure(what little there is) purely in bending. no matter if you're engine braking or accelerating. the only support it can provide is by taking load directly pullin in torwards the engine. with a heim joint to make sure theres no play. how many ft lbs would it take to pull that in? i think Len is depending solely on his bobble strut for load in this case. that is for location/chassis destruction.

so i say this as that beam was designed to take rubber damped torque loads from a much weaker engine in torsion. the stock box and arm mount would push up or down on the crossbolt in the box, which has somethig like a 2.5" lever arm on torquing the front support structure and loading it vertically. pretty much diametric loading compared to the heim mount.

so i'd go a different route. more similar to the 8v front engine mount.

Bardo, thats my buds swapped 240 we're just test fitting in.

-jason

Captain Chaos
02-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Audi 1.8A4 PP

Why are you using this? Just curious.

GLHS377
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Heath, if you don't mind sharing, what's your paint selection and cost?

i'm also going to be driving to ohio(yuk!) hopefully march 10th to pickup my daytona stuff and also hit TP tools on the way to get some blasting material. i'm almost ready to start ghetto-blasting yo! so, if anyone needs stuff blasted(Heath) i'm just getting 50 lbs each of speed-bead and skat+ plastic(for the bodyshell) come by, do some work, bring some beer, clean out my garage, wash my car, i don't care. sandblast your parts and cleanup the mess it makes.

yeah, you'll be seein me in your thread more... lol! mebe i should jsut get my own..
-jason

TurbododgePirate
02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Heath, if you don't mind sharing, what's your paint selection and cost?

i'm also going to be driving to ohio(yuk!) hopefully march 10th to pickup my daytona stuff and also hit TP tools on the way to get some blasting material. i'm almost ready to start ghetto-blasting yo! so, if anyone needs stuff blasted(Heath) i'm just getting 50 lbs each of speed-bead and skat+ plastic(for the bodyshell) come by, do some work, bring some beer, clean out my garage, wash my car, i don't care. sandblast your parts and cleanup the mess it makes.

yeah, you'll be seein me in your thread more... lol! mebe i should jsut get my own..
-jason

Not sharing that info yet.

Where are you going in Ohio? There's a guy out there with a rust free L body hatch I need to get.

Also, Looking seriously at a SAAB 9-5 I might buy. 2001 with about 96K miles, but in awesome shape..... and it's a turbo. Oh and the turbo is new and comes with a 50K mile warranty. Then I have to sell the neon.

TurbododgePirate
02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Well, I just ordered black replacement carpet from http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Carpets/Dodge/

I'll post pics when it comes in. $150

WVRampage
03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Im sure its gona look great.

TurbododgePirate
03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks. Now I need to find money to finish it, and make the monthly payment on my SAAB.

WVRampage
03-04-2007, 03:06 PM
You will get it finished Im sure.

DC Turismo
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Heath

What made you go with the company who you ordered the carpet from? The price is a lot cheaper than, say, ACC ($60 nearly), but have you heard feedback about it that also made you go there? I'm looking at getting the Turismo's carpet replaced, and if possible, when yours comes in, I'd like to check it out in person to see how the molding of it is as well as the fitting and quality.

In addition, are you getting any extra to cut for a new hatch area carpet? I don't know if you have thought about that yet or not so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Too bad they don't have the navy blue I will need though in their selection guide :confused:

J&H Ryan
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
DC - I believe that is the place I went through to get my carpeting for a GTC project back in the day (the site was green then). Not only do they have the color that you are looking for, they will send you samples out to make sure that you get just the right color blue. I would contact them to see if they offer you the same customer service that they did back then.

Fit and finish wise - it was good, but not factory good. You had to make sure to put it and the trim on just right.

TurbododgePirate
03-05-2007, 09:56 AM
The price is what made me decide to buy from them. I'll be the guinnea pig on this one. If the carpet is ----, I'll let you guys know to avoid the place. If it's good, you'll know a cheap place to get carpet. No I didn't get rear hatch carpet extra. I want to see what this stuff looks like first.

~~H

Heath

What made you go with the company who you ordered the carpet from? The price is a lot cheaper than, say, ACC ($60 nearly), but have you heard feedback about it that also made you go there? I'm looking at getting the Turismo's carpet replaced, and if possible, when yours comes in, I'd like to check it out in person to see how the molding of it is as well as the fitting and quality.

In addition, are you getting any extra to cut for a new hatch area carpet? I don't know if you have thought about that yet or not so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Too bad they don't have the navy blue I will need though in their selection guide :confused:

DC Turismo
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Heath, be sure to post pics. when it comes time for you to fit it and trim it!

Does this also mean you're doing a black headliner?

TurbododgePirate
03-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Heath, be sure to post pics. when it comes time for you to fit it and trim it!

Does this also mean you're doing a black headliner?

No, probably light gray to keep some lightness to the interior.. maybe dark gray agate.

DC Turismo
03-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Very nice. Also, will you be redoing those dark gray interior panels from the junkyard up in Bville or making your interior black accompanied by that dark gray? I think that would look very nice with those two corresponding dark colors. Your thoughts?

TurbododgePirate
03-07-2007, 05:01 PM
The ACC carpet arrived yesterday. First opinions are as follows:

The carpet color black is very nice.

The carpet appears to be molded very nicely with jute backing glued in places where it is needed, and not where you need to trim.

The carpet does NOT have the heavy black backing all over it that the factory had. I would have rather had that as well, but nothing a little dynamat can't fix. Overall, I am very pleased with my choice and savings.

GLHS592
03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I was glad mine didn't have that HEAVY black backing. I figure that I saved 10-20 pounds by buying new carpet. I also removed the backing that came on the ACC carpet. ;)

WVRampage
03-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Were are the pics man.

TurbododgePirate
04-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Finally got some more work done to the project. Here are the accessories and brackets. The Alternator and bracket, the PS pump and bracket, and the AC bracket... Still not sure If I am going to be able to fit AC in with the SRT4 intercooler. I'll know more later. I am going to cut the holes for the SRT4 intercooler Tuesday.

TurbododgePirate
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
So, getting back into updating the PLOG. What she looked like when I first got her.

TurbododgePirate
05-27-2008, 05:40 PM
The RT ernie stainless steel turbo exhaust manifold.

And the front motor mount design that is used by a top neon guy that I plan to emulate.

TurbododgePirate
05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I have plenty of pics to update the thread. I'll continue tomorrow.

contraption22
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Very nifty motor mount idea.

TurbododgePirate
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Doing the cut in of the doors, hatch and engine bay.

TurbododgePirate
05-28-2008, 09:16 AM
SRT4 intercooler install and placement.

Dusty_Duster
05-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Cool!

TurbododgePirate
05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Cool!

Thanks, I figured I should start posting up to this again. I am very hopeful that it will run by the end of summer.

TurbododgePirate
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Okay, after the paint and during reassembly.

TurbododgePirate
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Some ground effects and starting to look like a charger again.

Now if I can just get the motor and transmission.....

WVRampage
05-28-2008, 08:11 PM
That car looks great,The pictures dont do any justice for this car you realy have to see it in person to see how nice it is.

Dusty_Duster
05-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Did you put those stripes on, or is that a photochop? I really like the black strobe stripes regardless! :D

TurbododgePirate
05-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Did you put those stripes on, or is that a photochop? I really like the black strobe stripes regardless! :D

They are strobe stripes from positive impressions. I put them on, but I screwed it up. So when it gets nice and I have a spare $150 to spend I'll be buying another set.

WVRampage
05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
They also look good on a rampage.

TurbododgePirate
05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Yes, but there are 2 kits, one for the rampage, and one for the charger. There are slight differences.

WVRampage
05-30-2008, 06:45 PM
The kits also come with extra striping for each panel so if you mess up one end you can use the next peice to make it look right.

spoolinhard
05-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Cant wait to see it finished
When you get that done, we will have to take a picture together next to Supertona, My sublime 87 shelby z.
-Kaleb

crazymadbastard
05-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Very nice work, I subscribed to this. :thumb:

I don't know about that motor mount, it looks cool but i think it will allow the engine to twist too much kinda like a hammock. If you added second and third heim joint towards the top of the engine mount it will limit travel much more and still look cool.

TurbododgePirate
05-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Cant wait to see it finished
When you get that done, we will have to take a picture together next to Supertona, My sublime 87 shelby z.
-Kaleb

Absolutely, we need more high impact turbo-mopars!

Very nice work, I subscribed to this. :thumb:

I don't know about that motor mount, it looks cool but i think it will allow the engine to twist too much kinda like a hammock. If you added second and third heim joint towards the top of the engine mount it will limit travel much more and still look cool.

Thank you. AS for the front motor mount: Those pictures are taken from Len Alaya over at neons.org. He runs a 10 second neon if i am correct. I just figured that if it is good enough for a 10 second neon, hopefully it will work on my charger. But, I have heard exactly the same opinion that you gave from a local chapter guy that really knows his stuff. I figure, I'll do it, and if it doesn't work, I'll make something else that will. :)

crazymadbastard
05-31-2008, 09:27 AM
I am going to drop in a 2.4 into my gtc and will have to come up with something for that front mount so we will see. The daytona that I am getting has been converted and he used a similar front mount but he was not happy with it. When I get it to the garage I will try to raise the motor with a jack and see what type of movement I get fom that mount before I rip it out.

TurbododgePirate
05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Keep us informed in the 16V section!!! It's always good to have new and correct information!

TurbododgePirate
08-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Due to financial problems the whole project is forsale.

$3000 for everything. Pink 1986 SHelby charger, 2.4 motor/tranny, megasquirt N spark.

The head, intake and exhaust manifold alone sell for $2000.

TurbododgePirate
10-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Project pepto continues!!! Dropped in a 3.0/543 combo today to get things moving again!

Ondonti
10-05-2014, 05:45 AM
What exactly sold from the first attempt and what is the plan now or is she on cruise control?

blk86trbo
10-05-2014, 10:13 AM
That sounds very neat...not sure if I can recall ever seeing a 6 cyl in an L body before :clap:

TurbododgePirate
10-05-2014, 03:48 PM
What exactly sold from the first attempt and what is the plan now or is she on cruise control?
Everything is sold except the 2.4 shortblock. Fresh from the machine shop.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds very neat...not sure if I can recall ever seeing a 6 cyl in an L body before :clap:
I have only seen 2. I will post a pic here are soon as I figure out how.

TurbododgePirate
10-05-2014, 04:04 PM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG2953_zpsusnsrrcv.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG2953_zpsusnsrrcv.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG2955_zps7eappcgw.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG2955_zps7eappcgw.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

Just a couple for now. Hehe.

TurbododgePirate
10-05-2014, 04:14 PM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG2956_zps7rjagxoi.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG2956_zps7rjagxoi.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG2957_zpshe1nnglh.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG2957_zpshe1nnglh.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG2958_zpsh3iqerpm.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG2958_zpsh3iqerpm.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

Brent, not to sound sappy, but I'm honored that you like this. I've been reading up all I can! Next steps are the wiring harness and checking the axles. I have large spline l body axles and believe that they will fit just as any other swap of this nature.

Aries_Turbo
10-05-2014, 08:38 PM
yeah those axles should work if they were large spline atx L body axles.

look for a 87-90 3.0L 3-speed auto harness. I know 87 and 88 had the 3 speed only, 89 and 90 had the 4 speed but i dont know if they had 3 speed vans still then with the 3.0L. Probably as they had the 3 speed paired with the 3.0L all the way through 2000.

I think that front motor mount came off of an 89 3.0L 3-speed van when i put it together originally.

Brian

TurbododgePirate
10-05-2014, 10:57 PM
yeah those axles should work if they were large spline atx L body axles.

look for a 87-90 3.0L 3-speed auto harness. I know 87 and 88 had the 3 speed only, 89 and 90 had the 4 speed but i dont know if they had 3 speed vans still then with the 3.0L. Probably as they had the 3 speed paired with the 3.0L all the way through 2000.

I think that front motor mount came off of an 89 3.0L 3-speed van when i put it together originally.

Brian

Yup. Large spline auto axles. I will have to take a close look at the other 3.0 mounts in the yard when I go.

Ondonti
10-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Looks like the engine is farther forward in the engine bay than I am used to? Whats gonna happen with the radiator? You have lots of room on the rear...or that is just an illusion.
BTW when I have had to modify dipsticks it has not been fun checking the oil level. One of my cars is check 10x and guess.

TurbododgePirate
10-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Looks like the engine is farther forward in the engine bay than I am used to? Whats gonna happen with the radiator? You have lots of room on the rear...or that is just an illusion.
BTW when I have had to modify dipsticks it has not been fun checking the oil level. One of my cars is check 10x and guess.

The engine in the pics is bolted in on the driver and passengers side. In front it is being held up by a 2x2 to show the approximate location. It will likely rotate back a little more in its final position. I have a rad that will fit where the ac condenser was with plenty of room to spare. It does have lots of room in the rear. Even when I rock it back to where it will sit with the front mount fixed. I am pretty sure I won't be modifying the dipstick.... Hopefully.

TurbododgePirate
10-16-2014, 09:15 PM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG2963_zpsbfkapvy2.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG2963_zpsbfkapvy2.jpg.html). Placement of the radiator. It will sit a little more to the driver side. Just a test fit.

TurbododgePirate
10-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Yay!!! Wiring harness and computer showed up today. Missing some sub harnesses I will have to get, but not horrible.

TurbododgePirate
10-19-2014, 06:55 PM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG2999_zpsc0c94oo5.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG2999_zpsc0c94oo5.jpg.html) the motor mount in front as it sat. Motor still needed rotated more back.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG3000_zpsbv3btphm.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG3000_zpsbv3btphm.jpg.html) cut off the mount box and rorated motor to the correct position.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG3003_zpsx6wj3rim.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG3003_zpsx6wj3rim.jpg.html) view from above mount you can see where the stock mount bracket bolts are.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/IMAG3002_zpsdi0vae48.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/IMAG3002_zpsdi0vae48.jpg.html) Motor sits nicely. POssibly a little high on the passenger side. I still have the stock mount spacers in. That would drop it 1/4 inch of removed.

WVRampage
10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Looking good Heath. alittle more to remove and then start welding it back togather. Ill be up when im not on call at work.

TurbododgePirate
10-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Looking good Heath. alittle more to remove and then start welding it back togather. Ill be up when im not on call at work.
Thanks Luke! I can't wait to get it running. Still need a 93 wiring diagram. Ugh.

TurbododgePirate
10-19-2014, 10:23 PM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/turbododgepirate/turbododge/Screenshot_2014-10-19-21-05-08_zpsld1iuf1h.png (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/turbododgepirate/media/turbododge/Screenshot_2014-10-19-21-05-08_zpsld1iuf1h.png.html) getting one of these too, to install by the thermostat housing so I can eliminate the one on the radiator.

Pageophile
10-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Hello TDP,

Thanks for this tread, watching it as you post. Always liked the idea of an L-Body with a V6. Very cool.

Take care,

Page

Ondonti
10-20-2014, 10:28 AM
What radiator is that? Possible I have to tuck the radiator farther forward on one of my cars in the future.

TurbododgePirate
11-02-2014, 07:07 PM
What radiator is that? Possible I have to tuck the radiator farther forward on one of my cars in the future.
It is a eBay Honda radiator, I have to cut and move a inlet and remove that radiator cap and have that hole filled.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello TDP,

Thanks for this tread, watching it as you post. Always liked the idea of an L-Body with a V6. Very cool.

Take care,

Page

You are very welcome. I just saw a video on a supercharged 3.0.... Makes me wonder.

TurbododgePirate
02-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Guess who's back....back again. Firing this spring in a town near you!

cbw1994
02-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Do you still live in Perry? I only ask because i live in near uniontown.

Bardo
02-26-2016, 12:37 PM
YES! Project killer ant acid is back underway.

Ondonti
02-28-2016, 03:11 AM
Oh, so this is what was rolling through Facebook recently. Keep her going!

TurbododgePirate
03-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Yep, I'm back to work on it. Really hope to have it running by this summer.

cordes
03-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Glad to see this thread alive again.

Sgt Craig
03-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Yep, I'm back to work on it. Really hope to have it running by this summer.

Whats the over/under on that?Good luck man klet me know if you need any thing

TurbododgePirate
01-12-2017, 12:42 AM
Up and running this past summer. Hopefully roadworthy this spring.

Aries_Turbo
01-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Cool dude.

Vigo
01-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Always liked this project. :)