PDA

View Full Version : How to rebuild 2.5

87turbodance
01-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I have an 89 2.5 T1 sitting in my garage that I got from the wreckers attached to an A 520 I bought a couple years ago. I have it torn apart. The crank has some fine scratches on the journals and the block has some faint hatch marks left. I also cant feel a ridge at all at the top of the bore. Should i send the block to the machine shop to be checked or just hone and re-ring it an dput some new bears in and go. The T1 2.2 in my car now is getting some awful piston slap. What are poeples thoughts?

ps.s the car the block cam out of had 260,000 km on it and the top of the pistons were covered in oil

Clay
01-16-2006, 03:30 PM
How much will it cost to have a machine shop check everything over?? Usually getting it checked out for a few bucks can save you a lot of time and $$ in the long run.

Especially if you pay $50 for them to tell you its way over on bore, or the crank is way under, etc etc.

Now, if you have a bore gauge, and some plasti-gage, you can do this all yourself!! :)

clay

87turbodance
01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
plastigage I can get but I dont have a bore vauge

5sp. mini
01-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Justsend it out to get tanked and have them check the bore and mic. the crank. that way it will be cleaner for reusembly. most of the time the shop has to install the dis. shaft bearings anyway. AL

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Most machine shops won't charge to check it out as they want your business. If the bore has a ridge, it needs an overbore. Crank, fine scratches are fine but they can check it out and polish it. Rods, you should get them reconditioned anyhow with ARP rod bolts.

shadowdude
01-29-2006, 08:11 PM
just had to slip in here and say ,Turbovanman ,thats the first pic i saw of the beast ,cool!

turbovanmanČ
01-29-2006, 10:31 PM
just had to slip in here and say ,Turbovanman ,thats the first pic i saw of the beast ,cool!

Thankyou, :nod: