PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell?

ShelGame
01-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Has anyone made a fuel cell for the engine compartment like Gary D. had/has in his Reliant? Where did you get it made? Cost?

Thanks,

BadAssPerformance
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Russ Jerome made one for his Omni. Several folks have used the 1 gallon plastic Summit Racing or Jegs or Jaz cells...

ShelGame
01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, for $60 I might just do it that way. I had hoped for ~2-3 gal, though. The off-the-shelf 2-3 gal cells won't fit under the hood. I'm going to make a poster board mock-up of what I really want. Does anyone know of a decent (in both skill and price) aluminum fab shop in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area?

BadAssPerformance
01-16-2006, 05:25 PM
I'd make it for you if you lived in Chicago... Barry (sdac_guy) probably knows someone around D-town that can help ya.

Russ Jerome
01-16-2006, 06:02 PM
This worked out slick, from top it looks small:

http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/underhood705r.jpg

Running down between fender and frame hold's 2.2 gallons:

http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/fueltankturbo.jpg

Installed factory fuel level sender in bottom, read's off stock
gauge in car (full until last 1/3, then it drops quickly).

Tom Mazur made a pair of similar tank's, same location both
sides with crossover for better weight transfer.

altered7151
01-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, for $60 I might just do it that way. I had hoped for ~2-3 gal, though. The off-the-shelf 2-3 gal cells won't fit under the hood. I'm going to make a poster board mock-up of what I really want. Does anyone know of a decent (in both skill and price) aluminum fab shop in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area?

I've got a custom made aluminum cell, I'd have to measure it up but its about 2-3 gallons. I used the fill cap off of a plastic fuel cell, and have the open cell foam to prevent sloshing. Had it in the front end of my daytona drag car, pretty much like what Gary D. had done. If you're interested I'd sell it, drop me a pm, I can send pics if you'd like.

ShelGame
01-26-2006, 04:54 PM
It looks like they're not going to allow the fuel cell up front. They apparently only want the stock fuel tank, or an aftermarket cell in the trunk. Of course, a Daytona doesn't have a trunk. And I don't particularly want 110 octane race gas behind my back. Did you guys (who had a cell up front) ever get any raised eyebrows from the track tech guys for it?

altered7151
01-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Never had a problem with mine. Most of the import guys run cells up front also. Stephane would know best since he's probably been through more techs the most of the board combined.

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm planning to run an underhood cell in the Sundance. Probably something similar in design to what Russ is running. My major concern was for venting the thing. I don't want to vent it inside the engine compartment for fire reasons, but since I'm going to be using it for alky and alky picks up moisture so easily, it needs to be somewhere where it stays as dry as possible.
Any thoughts?

cordes
01-27-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm planning to run an underhood cell in the Sundance. Probably something similar in design to what Russ is running. My major concern was for venting the thing. I don't want to vent it inside the engine compartment for fire reasons, but since I'm going to be using it for alky and alky picks up moisture so easily, it needs to be somewhere where it stays as dry as possible.
Any thoughts?

If you still have your charcoal canister hooked up, you could probably tee into that line.

Tony Hanna
01-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Thanks. That's a good idea. If I don't end up needing the space that the canister occupies for something else, I'll give it a shot.

MOPAR2YA
02-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Im running a 1 gallon fuel cell where the charcoal canister was. I made a steel box for it to set in and a 1 1/4 .125 wall tube frame around it to meet NHRA specs. I hope I dont shred a slick its only 2 inches or so to the fuel cell....

ShelGame
02-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, I get feedback from NHRA yesterday. The fuel cell up front is no good for stock class. :( Has to be in the stock location or the trunk...

cordes
02-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, I get feedback from NHRA yesterday. The fuel cell up front is no good for stock class. :( Has to be in the stock location or the trunk...

Can't you buy a weld in piece to use the stock gas tank, while still having the AN fittings etc.?

altered7151
02-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Can't you buy a weld in piece to use the stock gas tank, while still having the AN fittings etc.? Yep, Moroso sells them. Or you could fab one up pretty easy.