PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy fenco clutches!

jre97
01-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I took the daytona apart to put a new clutch in it. When I took the old one out, which was a fenco from autozone, the whole center section of the disc was ripped out from the ring of friction material.:eek: The pressure plate was cracked in like three places:eek: If I had a camera it would make some interesting pics.

Una
01-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Don't buy ANY clutch from an auto parts store for our cars. They're barely adequate for stock use. You have to either go with a clutch from the dealer, one of our vendors, or one of the specialty clutch sites on the net to get one that's really built to be abused.

jre97
01-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Well this one saw some unusual abuse that it was never meant to see. I had all those problems with my bellhousing bolts loosening. I wasn't very easy on it at first. I lost a shifter cable twice and had to take off in third gear several times. It saw alot more slippage than usual.

Tony Hanna
01-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Hopefully the replacement will hold up until you're ready to go with a performance clutch.

supercrackerbox
01-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Ha, I once had the friction disk come out of my 86 Daytona in 7 pieces. I wasn't even driving it that hard, just a simple 3-4 shift and all hell broke loose with no warning at all. When I swapped in the 568, I ordered the clutch listed for an R/T from the parts store I worked at. Keep in mind that the engine is still the bone stock 86 TI. After about 30K miles, it's slipping like hell. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it last untill spring.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Fenco's are fine for stock applications :amen:

jre97
01-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Ha, I once had the friction disk come out of my 86 Daytona in 7 pieces. I wasn't even driving it that hard, just a simple 3-4 shift and all hell broke loose with no warning at all. When I swapped in the 568, I ordered the clutch listed for an R/T from the parts store I worked at. Keep in mind that the engine is still the bone stock 86 TI. After about 30K miles, it's slipping like hell. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it last untill spring.
I wasn't driving it hard when it happened either. I was downshifting headed to a stop sign. There were probably at least seven pieces if you count all the pieces of sheet metal that were torn out that used to hold the friction material.

Una
01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Two words for ya.... Metal Fatigue..