PDA

View Full Version : Tilt steering in your L body

2.216VTurbo
12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I did this conversion years ago on My Rampage because I was parting a Spirit RT that was donating all the electrical componants including HVAC, gauges, switches, harness-basically everything electrical from the RT. So since I was left with a perfectly good grey tilt steering column from the Spirit, and that way I could use the ignition switch/column wiring plug and play, I made it fit:eyebrows: It really is pretty easy once you have all the measurements, a chop saw, and a welder. The only thing you need is a short piece of thick wall tube (pipe) 1.25OD/1.0ID Everything else comes from the donor or recipient. I took a couple of pictures that really explains all the critical dimensions but they were lost when my old PC bit the dust last year. While cleaning my desk yesterday, I found an unlabled CD-R, popped it in and found dozens of pictures of the Rampage build up that I thought were lost forever:bounce2: Man was I stoked! So here it is.

Couple things to mention, I am over 6'1" so I like the seat back but prefer a bend in my arms when I drive, so if you use my dimensions the steering wheel is AT LEAST 1.5" closer to you than the stock set up, big belly crew be warned:lol: . Also these measurements work with a NON L BODY steering wheel so take that into account. Nice part is, any CSX/SL wheel will bolt right in now:thumb:

The stock L body steering shaft with splines are sliced off and welded INSIDE the Spirit shaft which is hollow, they fit like they were made for this conversion. The column mounting 'ears' are chopped off, shortened and turned around so they bolt up to the L body underdash with no mods to the mount. The carrier bearing is removed from the Spirit column and turned around, it rides on the new 'bushing' you made from the thick wall pipe welded onto the shortened Spirit column. It fits perfectly if you use my dimensions.

I think there may have been something else but like I said, this was years ago and my memory is not what it used to be:o

Check the pics, also I have a couple of the finished column all the way up, then all the way down. Deluxe baby, you're pimpin now with tilt in your Page/Omni/Charger:partywoot:

cordes
12-27-2006, 06:36 PM
That is very cool. Thanks for sharing. How hard was it to get teh new ign. turn signal stalk etc. hooked up?

2.216VTurbo
12-27-2006, 06:36 PM
A couple more...

Dominic
12-27-2006, 09:14 PM
THAT'S A G*D-DAMNED HANS HERMANN HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE NOW MY HERO

Would you adopt me to be able to have it willed to me if you were to pass away?????

2.216VTurbo
12-27-2006, 09:21 PM
That is very cool. Thanks for sharing. How hard was it to get teh new ign. turn signal stalk etc. hooked up?

Whatcha mean installed? It's all hooked up on the donor column, that's the point!;) For my set up since I used the entire Spirit RT harness (less the back door looms) in my Rampage RT, it just plugs right in. See, I Hate electrical but I can handle plugging in the connectors:thumb:

2.216VTurbo
12-27-2006, 09:27 PM
THAT'S A G*D-DAMNED HANS HERMANN HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE NOW MY HERO

Would you adopt me to be able to have it willed to me if you were to pass away?????

Yippee, now all you need is cams, valves, springs, some way to seal the dang thing up:confused: intake manifold, exhaust manifold... After all that, it ain't all that from a flow standpoint:o 20 years ago it was the s---, nowadays a worked over DOHC hybrid would outflow it. It's a nice bit of Shelby history for sure. Besides it's not mine or I probably be spending a fortune trying to make it work:rolleyes:

Mario
12-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Yay. I was wondering when we were going to see some pics. Nice install. Nice head too. Who's the owner. :D

cordes
12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Whatcha mean installed? It's all hooked up on the donor column, that's the point!;) For my set up since I used the entire Spirit RT harness (less the back door looms) in my Rampage RT, it just plugs right in. See, I Hate electrical but I can handle plugging in the connectors:thumb:

OK, I did not realize that you used the intire harness I guess. Thanks for clearing that up for us slow folks.

speedyshelby
12-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I want those door panels.

minigts
11-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Alan, did you strip another door skin to get that fabric or did you have it made?

2.216VTurbo
11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Alan, did you strip another door skin to get that fabric or did you have it made?

That's the back seat from an 89 CSX from years ago when they were still in the J-yards. Same donor for the steering wheel. I Know, Mopar318 got my hopes up for some Shelby Fabric too, but his source possibly 'threw away' what he had:mad

Mopar318
11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
That's the back seat from an 89 CSX from years ago when they were still in the J-yards. Same donor for the steering wheel. I Know, Mopar318 got my hopes up for some Shelby Fabric too, but his source possibly 'threw away' what he had:mad

I have rolls of "other cool" recaro fabric.

Back in the 90's the guys that worked for recaro would have first dibs on any left over material. So throwing it away was no big deal to them if it was just taking up space. I am still on the lookout for some with various sources, and connections but I dont want to get your hopes up again.:lol: