PDA

View Full Version : Mini van frt bumper covers

Dave
12-27-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm looking to get a real tall intercooler for the van, nearly 20" tall, as I want to take full advantage of its frontal area. The stock bumper cover on the ES's doesn't supply much for air flow. So I'm looking into other models.

Scroll to the bottom a bit and tell me what you think.

http://www.shop.autoteile-und-autoersatzteile.de/index.php/cPath/32_125

I'm just looking for a cover to supply more air flow to the core. As far as the stock cover and grill go, there's only about 12" of air flow going directly to the core.

This one looks to be best: http://www.shop.autoteile-und-autoersatzteile.de/product_info.php/cPath/32_125/products_id/5032

What do you guys think would work best? I will of course paint it charcoal black to match now, but will all bumper covers bolt right in??

Thanks,
-Bryan

Turbodave
12-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I can't read german, but it looks like the covers in those links are just stock replacements for the 91-95 vans. Those vans have different front end than the older ones so I don't think it will just bolt right on.

turbovanmanČ
12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Dave is right, thats 2nd Gen stuff and will require mods to fit plus thats just a bumper cover.

You could just cut holes in your stock bumper but do it tastefully.

whywoody
12-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I am also running a large intercooler in my van,and it has the large plastic bumpers.I thought about building a small sccop to mount under the bumper to try and direct air to the lower half of the cooler,but never got there.
What I did do was add some vents to the hood,to try and move air out of the engine bay,therefore allowing more air to flow accross the 'cooler and rad.They are effective at lowering the coolant temp on the hiway,so I imagine they help lower the charge temps.
I have since wired in a charge temp sensor and use a smec set up for this.I also have a OTC4000e scan tool so I can read such sensors,and plan on taking note of the charge temp with :
1) full bumper and vents taped off,
2) full bumper and vents open,
3) no bumper fitted and vents closed,
4) no bumper and open vents.
It's hard right now as there is alot of snow on the roads and sub zero C. temps..but if the weather clears up I'll try the above.

Dave
01-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Anyone know what year/style vans specifically came with the fog lights and larger air dams? I noticed some vans have a larger air dam than others... bigger the better. Modifying it to bolt on it no problem. There's no reason to go with a 20" tall core if I can only use 12" of air to its surface.

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
The ES's came with the fog lamp setup and plastic bumpers.

Make an air dam, either S10 or Volvo. When I put mine on, the engine runs cooler on the highway.

Mario
01-05-2007, 10:09 PM
How about getting rid of the grille and sticking a precision 750 cooler in the space behind the grille.