PDA

View Full Version : Shadow/Sundance Forn Seats (Gray)

ShelGame
12-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm looking for a decent pair of front seats for a Shadow/Sundance in gray. Anyone have something near Detoit? Can trade the gray seats out of my '89 Daytona C/S for them, or buy them outright...

Thx,

BadAssPerformance
12-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Any particular year Shadow/Sundance seats ya looking for? They changed a little each year.

22mopar
12-27-2006, 12:53 AM
I got a nice pair of grey ones with power driver seat. $10 for the pair. but I'm in WI

ShelGame
12-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I should've specified - I want non-power seats. This is for my Daytona race car. I want as light a seat as possible. I'd love a pair from a CSX, but I can't pay what they're worth. I don't know what the different seats look like, but I'd prefer something more "perforamce" oriented (at least looking).

jaysshelby
12-27-2006, 11:57 PM
I have a set of front seat out of a 88 Shadow ES. non-power seats that have the red striping thru them. they are in nice cond. if interested let me know and I can get some pics for you.

22mopar
12-28-2006, 12:09 PM
if you want light, just get some Kirkey aluminum racing seats.. they are the bomb

BadAssPerformance
12-28-2006, 12:22 PM
+1 to Kirkey's they are waaaay lighter than OEM seats

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/cage/harness.JPG

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/cage/padding.JPG

ShelGame
12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
if you want light, just get some Kirkey aluminum racing seats.. they are the bomb

This is for NHRA/IHRA stock class racing. Racing seats aren't allowed.

ShelGame
12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I have a set of front seat out of a 88 Shadow ES. non-power seats that have the red striping thru them. they are in nice cond. if interested let me know and I can get some pics for you.

Sure, send me some pics. Where is Vermillion from Toledo?

BadAssPerformance
12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
So any OEM seat counts as "stock" ? Are there any OEM seats lighter than Shadow seats?

ShelGame
12-28-2006, 04:35 PM
So any OEM seat counts as "stock" ? Are there any OEM seats lighter than Shadow seats?

Well, technically, they're supposed to be from that model of car. But, I figure that since the P-Body seats should bolt right into the G-Body, noone will be the wiser.

My brother in law put Omni seats in his Cordoba class car, and noone has complained about it yet. He even had to hack the rails a little bit.

I want P-Body seats just so that I don't have to hack the rails.

BadAssPerformance
12-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Gotcha.

Radiant_Red
12-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Rob i have a Mint set of 89 Shadow es Seats gray with the red pinstripe In windsor ....but the head rests are stiched "shadow" on them..

BadAssPerformance
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Yep, '89 and some later ES seats had "Shadow" on them '87/'88 dont have it. I have an '88 Interior in my '87 T2 Clone and if we were all neighbors, I would offer to do a 3-way swap so Rob could have teh ones w/o "Shadow" that I have and assuming Radiant's are as cleans as these are.

Speaking of seatrails, they swapped the floorpan between '87 and '88 shadows, and they are slightly different than the G body.

http://www.badassperformance.com/mtech/87-88_p-body_seat_id.html

ShelGame
12-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Speaking of seatrails, they swapped the floorpan between '87 and '88 shadows, and they are slightly different than the G body.

http://www.badassperformance.com/mtech/87-88_p-body_seat_id.html

Hmm, it also looks like the P-Body seats are taller than the G-body seats. Is that true? My helmet already hits the headliner...

BadAssPerformance
12-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Not sure on that but they might be...

jaysshelby
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
can get pics on sunday and will send them over. I'm about hour and a half from Toledo

ShelGame
12-30-2006, 11:10 AM
can get pics on sunday and will send them over. I'm about hour and a half from Toledo

Can you do another favor when you take the pics? Measure the seat height from the front mount to the front of the cushion? I want to make sure that the P-Body seats aren't going to be too tall...

BadAssPerformance
12-30-2006, 12:25 PM
It just so happens that I have '87 CSX seats and an '87 Shelby Z seats in my basement not too far from the computer, but for some reason I just now remembered they were there!

The seat height measured in the front (not including rails cuz there are none on the Z's seats) for each is ~6" and I would say that they are similar height appearing. So if you use Shadow seats, just be sure to use your Daytona seat rails to get the same height.

I recall a conversation I had at an SDAC-Great Lakes Chapter meeting about 10 years ago when Mike Stimac (OneLapChamp) was modding his '88 CS Daytona for road racing and he pointed out that he switched to the Shleby Z seats/rails cuz they were 'lower' than the '88 CS which hade base model seats/rails in it. I do not remember what exactly was the difference tho.

ShelGame
12-30-2006, 01:51 PM
You have CSX seats :eyebrows: ?

Thanks for the height info, that helps.

BadAssPerformance
12-30-2006, 10:44 PM
You have CSX seats :eyebrows: ?

Thanks for the height info, that helps.

No problem...

Yep, '87 CSX seats are just base model shadow seats. I have a couple '87 CSX's too ;)

ShelGame
12-30-2006, 11:44 PM
No problem...

Yep, '87 CSX seats are just base model shadow seats. I have a couple '87 CSX's too ;)

Oh:(

Which ones had the Recaro-like seats?

BadAssPerformance
12-30-2006, 11:52 PM
'89 CSX's only...

dodgeshadowchik
01-01-2007, 06:17 PM
i now have an extra set of front seats if you still need them. i'm south of detroit.

ShelGame
01-01-2007, 11:45 PM
i now have an extra set of front seats if you still need them. i'm south of detroit.

Cool! - what do you want for them? And, how far south? Like Monroe? I could maybe come get them one day this week...

dodgeshadowchik
01-02-2007, 03:44 PM
yes, i do reside in the great city of monroe. as for price, how about 25$ for both? i can get pics later for you if you want.

ShelGame
01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
yes, i do reside in the great city of monroe. as for price, how about 25$ for both? i can get pics later for you if you want.

Sounds like a deal! If you can, send me some pics first, before I make the trip. Can you PM me an address/time to pick up?

ShelGame
01-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the seats!

dodgeshadowchik
01-06-2007, 02:31 PM
no problem. hope they work out for you!! :)

ShelGame
01-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Just an FYI to everyone - the Shadow seats fit fine, but the Shadow seat rails are ~1.5" taller than the Daytona seat rails. So, I had to swap them over. Now, the seats are actually a little lower in the car than the Daytona seats (which is good for me, need helmet room).

The big deal, though - the Shadow seats are 11lbs lighter than the Daytona seats - each (28lbs vs. 39lbs by my bath scale)! So, that's a 22lb total weight savings. With the rear brake swap, I've got the car down ~35lbs so this winter. That puts it at about 2650lbs total...

BadAssPerformance
01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Nicely done, that's pretty light for a 'stock' Daytona. What else have you removed?

ShelGame
01-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Nicely done, that's pretty light for a 'stock' Daytona. What else have you removed?

Of course, I removed the spare tire/jack/tool kit. I also pulled all of the engine bay plastic (including pulley covers, etc.), the P/S pump and rack (now using a manual rack from a K-Car), power brake booster, windshield wipers, the stock fuel tank (now using an 8-gal fuel cell), engine balance shafts, radio, speakers, and I swapped the airbag sterring wheel for an aftermarket wheel. Later this summer, the rear seat is coming out to be replaced by a 6-point roll bar (per the rules, I have to run one or the other).

BadAssPerformance
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Cool.

Is a 6-pt roll bar lighter than a rear seat? Maybe Chrome Moly? NHRA should allow a 5-pt?

ShelGame
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I think a CrMo roll bar should be ligher than the seat. I think I read that the rear seat in a Daytona is like 50lbs. I think the bar could easily be 20lbs or so. My minimum weight (with driver) is 2810lbs. With me in the car, that means a min car weight of ~ 2600 or so...

22mopar
01-07-2007, 10:27 PM
maybe a huge crap before you race would lighten the load.

BadAssPerformance
01-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I think a CrMo roll bar should be ligher than the seat. I think I read that the rear seat in a Daytona is like 50lbs. I think the bar could easily be 20lbs or so. My minimum weight (with driver) is 2810lbs. With me in the car, that means a min car weight of ~ 2600 or so...

Yeah, ~50lbs for the rear seat with the rear seatbelts... Do you have the stock carpet in it? the rubber backed OEM stuff is HEAVY. Aftermarket ACC with the insulation ripped off it is way light... Do you have to have a heaterbox in it or is it already gone?

Does the cage have to be NHRA spec? According to specs, If it is a 6pt it has to be larger tube than a 10pt, but if you are slower than 11.49 you do not need a cage so you could go with 6pts of a 10 pt kit for even less weight ;)

-Just call me Smokey Yunick :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
01-07-2007, 11:32 PM
maybe a huge crap before you race would lighten the load.

LOL... the first time I went 12.00's I though the same thing!

ShelGame
01-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, ~50lbs for the rear seat with the rear seatbelts... Do you have the stock carpet in it? the rubber backed OEM stuff is HEAVY. Aftermarket ACC with the insulation ripped off it is way light... Do you have to have a heaterbox in it or is it already gone?

Does the cage have to be NHRA spec? According to specs, If it is a 6pt it has to be larger tube than a 10pt, but if you are slower than 11.49 you do not need a cage so you could go with 6pts of a 10 pt kit for even less weight ;)

-Just call me Smokey Yunick :thumb:

Except that there's a superstock class in IHRA that I run at national events (mostly just to take contingency money away from a certain Neon racer on the west Michigan coast). That class requries a rollbar regardless of ET. But, the Motor City Nats aren't until August (or Sept?) this year, so the barr won't go in until later in the summer.

I do still have the heater box and stock carpet in. I had thought about doing the aftermarket carpet thing.