PDA

View Full Version : should i do it?

dli1314
12-26-2006, 04:53 AM
i know the forum is going to be a little biased, but i thought i'd check to see what you guys think.

I have a 10" resonant engineering subwoofer with a 600 watt amp, and i might be able to pull off a trade for an 86 lebaron GTS automatic. should i go for it? he says it has a faint lifter or valve tick...but for a sound system worth 250 dollars i think it would be a decent deal.

does anyone know the exact specs on the 86 GTS? this will be my second car that i'd like to turn into a daily driver.

how well do these automatic transmissions hold up to performance upgrades?

thanks
-Derek

Whorse
12-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Well on the surface level it seems good. Some points and key questions to ask yourself:

Does it run/shift smoothly? How's the paint, body, undercarriage, etc... How's the suspension? Any of these things going to require attention to keep it driveable, or are they ok.

The A413 automatic is a pretty weak transmission when it comes to heavy cars and performance upgrades. Certainly someone can tell you more, but I do know the diff pin in them doesn't hold up well to high power, enough that Chrysler limited the power of automatic vehicles in the later model cars.

That said, an 86 Lebaron is a pretty nice car, and will be very comfy to drive. The auto won't get nearly the mileage of a standard, but when they're running nice, are quite easy and enjoyable to drive as a daily driver. There are a lot of upgrades available to toughen up the automatics. Simon has some good info and links in the transmission FAQs worth checking out.

dli1314
12-26-2006, 05:06 AM
hmmm, so as long as the car isn't a rolling pile i guess i should come out on top for a DD, but as far as going far with modifications it might not be a good idea as far as the stock transmission is concerned.

thanks for the quick response. i've been looking around for a turbo dodge for a while, but the lack of funds along with the endless money pit of owning a Ford has been creating a problem in that respect.

Whorse
12-26-2006, 09:31 AM
If money is at all an issue, keep in mind these cars always have a spot you can end up sinking money into them. If it runs and stays running then you'll probably come out on top.

Murphy
12-26-2006, 01:20 PM
you should be able to get a built auto for not oo much....but then again it will probly be more than you paid for the car. as for performance upgrades, you can probly hit 200hp for under $100

Devsdaytona
12-26-2006, 06:04 PM
$100 and a couple nights in the garage and I have a running Lancer with a 5-speed swap. I went through two 413's and mines not a turbo although the second one was helped along.

I'd say it's worth it especially if it runs to begin with.

dli1314
12-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I decided to look for a better one, it isnt worth it. there are some rust issues, plus the AC doesnt work, CC doesnt work, needs a valve cover gasket, higher milage than he told me in the first email, PS is going out, sounds like a pain to me. oh yeah, and the drivers side mirror is being held on with duct tape. NICE.

i should just save up some money and buy something that isnt a complete pile.

on the other hand, i found someone that is going to trade me a tremec 5 speed transmission(my mustang needs a 5 speed, i'm tired of the 4 speed) for my sub+amp.

thanks for all the help, if i come across another car and i have any questions i'll post up. and if i do pick something up, i'll let you know as well, with pictures :)