PDA

View Full Version : Welding with a stick?

Subliminal
12-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Hey guys,

My wife got me a stick welder for Christmas. She knew I wanted a welder, but apparently did not know I wanted a mig.

So she got me this one. It looks real nice, but I'm not sure how useful the thing would be for me.

For example, can you weld exhaust with a stick?

I dunno.

Figured maybe you guys would?

Thanks!

d

Whorse
12-23-2006, 01:12 AM
I used to work at a cedar mill and all the welders there used stick welders. Quite often I had them do exhaust pipes for me. Not sure how easy it'd be to work on the exhaust while on the car, however.

BadAssPerformance
12-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Not nearly or even close to as easy as a mig but 'you can do it' Bobby!

Clay
12-23-2006, 02:52 AM
you can do almost anything with a stick you can with a mig.

a mig makes chumps into champs.

a stick requires some skillz.

plus, stick machines are cheap!

Birddog
12-23-2006, 04:07 AM
you can do almost anything with a stick you can with a mig.

a mig makes chumps into champs.

a stick requires some skillz.

plus, stick machines are cheap!

:amen:

I learned stick from a pipefitter and that MF could lay a bead like a machine! I'm not nearly as good but glad to have had the lessons!

Which unit did she get ya??(or is it too early to ask?:o )

BadAssPerformance
12-23-2006, 09:17 AM
It is way better to start with a stick cuz it requires more skill and you'll be better from it. I welded a couple times with a stick, torch, and MIG but really didnt weld enough to learn how to until I used a TIG. I think my welds would be so much better if I didnt learn on the easiest one.

shadow88
12-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Stick (or arc) welding with the proper rods can be almost as easy as mig with a good quality weld. Stick is best for cast peices when you use a nickel rod.

Aside from the slag that you'll have to chip off when the weld cools and the difficulty using an arc welder in tight spaces, like stated earlier, you can make some really good quality welds with it. Enjoy your new toy :D

jre97
12-23-2006, 07:39 PM
If you've never used one before start out with a 6013 rod. It is by far the easiest to weld steel with.

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Stick (or arc) welding with the proper rods can be almost as easy as mig with a good quality weld. Stick is best for cast peices when you use a nickel rod.

Aside from the slag that you'll have to chip off when the weld cools and the difficulty using an arc welder in tight spaces, like stated earlier, you can make some really good quality welds with it. Enjoy your new toy :D

Thats the only thing I hate about stick welding is chipping off that damn slag, lol!

Also, its really hard to weld thin metal, IE thin sheets, IC tubing etc as you tend to blow holes in it, :banghead:

DeckSetter
12-23-2006, 08:50 PM
You're probably going to need a LOT of practice with a stick welder to do exhaust... Find some scrap steel to practice on. Make sure it doesn't have paint or anything on it or you'll wonder why you can't hold an arc (been there, done that). The 6013 will make a good looking weld, but the 6011 is good if you're just tacking stuff and don't care how it looks.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy an auto-darkening helmet. I got one at Harbor Freight for $50 with a 3 year warranty a while back. AWESOME.

MiniMopar
12-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I welded my first exhaust with a stick welder with almost no skills. I used smaller rods and did the welds on the bench (after tacking). It was good practice. One of those automatic LCD welding masks will make it a lot less frustrating. I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it made welding so much easier.

The MIG is easy to use and I use mine all the time. As Clay said, it can make my shabby welding skills look decent.

Get an angle grinder.

show-off
12-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Stick does take more skill. That was what we used to work on all our farm machinery and stuff around the farm.

When I took shop in high school I won the welding contest with stick, but I personally did not like mig welding and wasn't as good at it for some reason. Never really practiced with it though. I'll take a stick (arc) welder any day of the week.

Subliminal
12-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks, guys.

I actually took a welding course last year, and before that I used to do some stick welding when i was a housemover (welding the big assed beams together), but that was 1-2 inch thick steel i-beams.

I've actually got an update to my scenario now, and think I know which direction I want to go:

I decided to keep the arc welder and opened the box. It was busted. The thing is super heavy and almost totally made of metal. The front was bashed in so far that the dial won't even go back on. The bottom is seriously bashed in as well. It's pretty much damaged beyond usability.

So, it needs to go back. I think I'm going to upgrade to a mig. I just think it'll be much more usable for me. All the things I can think of that I've wanted to weld are pretty small. For a homeowner, you don't really see too much metal that needs welding that's over 1/8 inch, ya know?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, guys!

;)

turbovanmanČ
12-25-2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah, a mig is so much more user friendly and like I said, you can weld thin guage metals with ease, :nod:

mcsvt
12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I agree with your decision. If you have to take it back anyway, may as well exchange as well. I learned on an arc welder and I think it gave me the basis to use the other types of welders now. But for home use, MIG all the way.

Cool gift none the less :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
12-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Sounds like one of those 'fate' type things right there.

Subliminal
12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah,

Here's a question:

Think this is about my best bet?:

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-K2185-1-Flux-Cored-Accepts/dp/B0002LJR88/sr=8-1/qid=1167160444/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2801094-2990249?ie=UTF8&s=hi

BadAssPerformance
12-26-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm partial to Miller welders...

WVRampage
12-26-2006, 04:00 PM
thats not a bad machine,we have a older Century 90 amp I think we got it back in 97 probably so its geting a little old and I have ran probably 80 2lb spools of wire in it and its still going.I have done 22ga all the way to 3/8 inch with it and it does great.The best thing about the one you have listed is the gas hook ups are there so you will just need to get a bottle from a local welding shop.A freind has one almost like the one you listed only with out the gas hook ups on it and I welded the new spring perches on his Jeep with it when we did the spring over lift on it and it worked great.

Subliminal
12-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Ended up buying this one today:

Lincoln Weld-Pak 100HD from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=100039229&cm_mmc=CJ-_-pricegrabber-_-D25X-_-100039229&BV_SessionID=@@@@0362670185.1167179153@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddjkefijdmcgelceffdfgidgng.0&aid=10368321&pid=603315&cj=1&cpncode=08-19372356-2&srccode=cii_5784816)

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/166034_4.jpg

Wayne
12-26-2006, 11:31 PM
I have the pro-mig 140. I love the gas. No splater or smoke. I try to never use the flux-core wire if I don't have to. It just makes a mess.

Wayne

Subliminal
12-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, I'm going to try the flux for a bit, then I'm going to get the mig kit for this guy. It's only like $85, so it'll be a welcome upgrade sometime in the near future.

Darkapollo
12-27-2006, 12:58 AM
My buddy has a lincoln 175? or something and for my first time welding it looks like i actually knew what i was doing LOL. MIG is so easy to just pick up and do.

jre97
12-27-2006, 05:46 AM
Just a note if you get the gas kit you can weld aluminum with it with the proper gas. Really handy. I used that exact machine for a year and a half building aluminum awning frames. I think you'll like the mig alot better in the long run.

mo' parts
12-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Ended up buying this one today:

Lincoln Weld-Pak 100HD from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=100039229&cm_mmc=CJ-_-pricegrabber-_-D25X-_-100039229&BV_SessionID=@@@@0362670185.1167179153@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddjkefijdmcgelceffdfgidgng.0&aid=10368321&pid=603315&cj=1&cpncode=08-19372356-2&srccode=cii_5784816)

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/166034_4.jpg

i bought this same one with the ss/alum gas kit. works great, have'nt had the chance to do alum. yet, but will soon.
you'll like it:)

Subliminal
12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
The gas kit? You mean the k601 kit?

Yeah, sometime in the future, I'm going to invest in that.

cordes
12-29-2006, 12:53 PM
The gas kit? You mean the k601 kit?

Yeah, sometime in the future, I'm going to invest in that.

How much is the kit to do Al?

Aries_Turbo
12-30-2006, 11:40 PM
i have an old miller 235A arc welder. really old... like 1960-1970's old. works great. i second the 6013 rod. i welded all my exhaust on my k car with it. not too bad. i just wish i had a setup to auto rotate the pipes while i welded. the 6011 rod was just too slaggy for me though I taught myself so i might need some instruction.

my wife just bought me a 120A mig welder from harbor freight. 200$ and I paid the extra 35$ for the 3 year warranty extension. its the dual mig 151. not a bad deal. I test it out in a few days when I get home from Franks new years party. :) slasky has the flux core version and he says it works really well.

my wifes folks have a 235A Snap-On MIG. A dream to use and the 235A will weld really thick metal with a thicker wire.

I myself need to take a class to learn the finer points of welding. I taught myself to weld but I would like to learn some more to get more proficient.

Brian

Subliminal
12-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Brian,

Honestly, all class did for me was to give me a lot of time to practice on the different machines, and there was someone there to show me how to set the thing up.

That was it. Don't get me wrong, it was great fun, but it wasn't any type of mystery revealed.

8valves
12-31-2006, 10:52 AM
That's probably a good call on getting the MIG for what you need to do.

For those that have done stick, for a final grade on ARC stuff we had to do an overhead vertical gap weld pushing the bead with a 6010 rod on 1/8" steel...yeow! Watch out for falling debris and molten metal as you blast holes through the metal!

Aries_Turbo
12-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Brian,

Honestly, all class did for me was to give me a lot of time to practice on the different machines, and there was someone there to show me how to set the thing up.

That was it. Don't get me wrong, it was great fun, but it wasn't any type of mystery revealed.

ill just get a book with pics then :)

Brian

mech1nxh
01-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Phaxtris...valued opinion
THX

phaxtris
01-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Phaxtris...valued opinion
THX

whats going on? i didnt post anything, i figured it had been covered in the first few posts and saw no need to add my 2 cents

if you want my opinion tho, with practice and 7018(dc)/6013(ac) (3/32) it can be done no problem, but mig would be more ideal and much easier for a beginner

mech1nxh
01-01-2007, 03:01 AM
whats going on? i didnt post anything, i figured it had been covered in the first few posts and saw no need to add my 2 cents

if you want my opinion tho, with practice and 7018(dc)/6013(ac) (3/32) it can be done no problem, but mig would be more ideal and much easier for a beginner

thx....thats what I needed...happy new year..!!!!

BoostMonkey
01-19-2007, 05:32 PM

X2! Welding with 7018 and 6013 is CAKE! Started that last spring in my welding class and it was great. Still working on my TIG skills but I really prefered the stick to the Mig for just straight practicing. However for doing exhaust and general around the shop type stuff a 75/25 Argon/Co2 mix with the MIG is awesome for mild steel!

Michael

mo' parts
01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
How much is the kit to do Al?

it will do alum. and stainless and is under 100$.
you just need a specific gas for each.:)

i have'nt taken a class, but i do alot of practice on scrap metal:)
practice makes perfect(at least in most cases).

cordes
01-20-2007, 05:52 PM

i have'nt taken a class, but i do alot of practice on scrap metal:)
practice makes perfect(at least in most cases).

That seems pretty reasonable. Thanks for the reply.

phaxtris
01-20-2007, 06:20 PM

100% argon will do both

on a side note, i just picked up 30lbs of air liquid 7018 (1/8) for 21$ cdn :D best deal ive got in a long time!

Nemesismachine
01-23-2007, 06:48 PM
:amen:

I learned stick from a pipefitter and that MF could lay a bead like a machine! I'm not nearly as good but glad to have had the lessons!

I second that, I learned from a steamfitter too and he makes welds look like earthworms on pipe. Amazing stuff.

Dez
03-23-2007, 09:32 PM
From what i have heard, the Clarke's 130EN gas/gasless is a very nice welder. Just add some Argon, and your good to go on aluminum.

I bought a craftsman flux-core welder and my welds are getting better and better every time. It's a nice welder but i really want to get into the aluminum which this welder does not have a conversion kit for :(

Anyone use the horbart handler 140MIG? It is also gas/gasless seems like a nice welder aswell.

t3rse
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
ok...
DO NOT TRY TO USE AL WIRE IN A HOME MIG UNIT UNLESS YOU ARE WANTING TO CLEAN UP A HELL OF A TANGLE.

aluminum wire is too soft for a push only unit and will tangle at the feeder and will be a pain in the ---. to use aluminum wire you need a push-pull mig unit...you can adapt a home unit to use a feeder on the gun, but it isn't cheap.

if you really want to try, keep the feed speed low and make sure the lead is perfectly straight...good luck!

I have the lincoln unit pictured above...good cheap unit, put 100s of hours on it, even welded the slide rails on my brothers truck with it, they hold the 4200lbs truck up with no issues (jacking it from the rails)

Clay
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Thats what they make a spool gun for!!

dds78910
03-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Thats what they make a spool gun for!!

+1:nod:
Just use the mig for mild steel welding and buy the spool gun for stainless and aluminum, or get a tig welder. The spool gun will hook up to almost any mig welder.

phaxtris
03-31-2007, 12:20 PM
ok...
DO NOT TRY TO USE AL WIRE IN A HOME MIG UNIT UNLESS YOU ARE WANTING TO CLEAN UP A HELL OF A TANGLE.

aluminum wire is too soft for a push only unit and will tangle at the feeder and will be a pain in the ---. to use aluminum wire you need a push-pull mig unit...you can adapt a home unit to use a feeder on the gun, but it isn't cheap.

if you really want to try, keep the feed speed low and make sure the lead is perfectly straight...good luck!

I have the lincoln unit pictured above...good cheap unit, put 100s of hours on it, even welded the slide rails on my brothers truck with it, they hold the 4200lbs truck up with no issues (jacking it from the rails)

teflon liner ;) i have welded many hours of aluminum with a standard wire feeder, its all in the liner