PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at a 2.5L version of Blueberry43

Aries_Turbo
12-22-2006, 11:00 PM
i posted this over Here (http://www.moparchem.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66) as well.

Ok, so I began working on this the other night as I had some spare time.

What I did:

I went over to D-cal and downloaded Rob Lloyd's +40, 3-bar cals for 89 smec cars. One was for a 2.2L T2 and one was the modified 89 T1 2.5L cal. The 2.2L cal was based upon the 2.5L T1 code so all the tables and constants matched up. I compared the two cals and came up with the changes that looked like theyd be the most important fuel wise and messed around with scaling the 2.2L tables till they were pretty close or exact to the 2.5L tables and that gave me a percentage of scaling to scale Blueberry by. I also heard a ways back that the 2.5L needed 17% more fuel than the 2.2L so I had a basis to start with.

I came up with these tables. With each one is a note of the change that I made.

StartingFuelFomEngineTemp - +6%

StartDecayIntoRun - +17%

StartPrimeFuelShot - First point from the left - +2 'clicks' up in D-cal (up arrow), 2nd point from the left - +2 'clicks', 3rd point from left - +1 'click'

FuelPartThrottle - +17%

FuelFullThrottle - +17%

FuelOffThrottle - +17%

FuelBatteryOffset - +10% then: First point from the left - -1 'click', 2nd point from the left - no change, 3rd and 4th point from the left - +1 'click'

ColdEnrichmentFuelCurveA - No changes. I know that Rob's cal changed them significantly but I dont know the extent why and my older cal runs fine without those changes so I left it alone. If it bites me later, I'll change them. Or if I decide to tinker later. Smile

ColdEnrichmentFuelCurveB - No changes. I know that Rob's cal changed them significantly but I dont know the extent why and my older cal runs fine without those changes so I left it alone. If it bites me later, I'll change them. Or if I decide to tinker later. Smile

ColdEnrichmentFuelCurveC - No changes. I know that Rob's cal changed them significantly but I dont know the extent or totally why and my older cal runs fine without those changes so I left it alone. If it bites me later, I'll change them. Or if I decide to tinker later. Smile

PumpingEfficiency - Snagged from a friends cal. His is a 2.5L, 3-bar, +40's, super 60 turbo, large spearco, dyno tuned. stock head with ported exhaust mani and backcut exhaust valves. Close to my current setup but not quite exact.

TransientThrottleEnrich - Left it alone. If the car stumbles on rapid tps changes, ill change them. So far it hasnt.

TransientEnrichMap - Left it alone. If the car stumbles on rapid tps changes, ill change them. So far it hasnt.

Before I made all these changes, I scaled all the tables in the article about converting the injectors to larger ones. 80.7692307692307692307692307692308 was the number I used to scale by. Yeah the decimal places is prolly a bit ridiculous. Smile

Timing changes: I used the tables from my current cal for the most part but kept the added WOT data point.

Results:

Im VERY pleased. I stopped at a gas station for some 93 octane this afternoon, turned the boost down (for safety... plus it was wet out), popped the chip in and the car fired IMMEDIATELY and settled to a nice steady idle. I drove a while to let the car heat back up and it was nice and smooth with all the conditions that I gave it. Transient throttle was nice, part throttle was responsive nice and responsive and the boost came up pretty quickly.

Once I hit a backroad I put the pedal to the floor and the car pulled nicely with no knock indicated with the CEL. I was only at 11psi though instead of the 18-20 that I was running. Im conservative when I make changes so that I dont break stuff. I also tested out the launch limiter. Pretty darn cool! I like it. I built ~3psi when using it too. I didnt launch though cause it would have been worthless with the wet roads.

When I got home I got the wideband palm display out and went for another ride. At idle it slowly adjust the fuel from anywhere from 13.9-15.2:1. At cruise it bounces fast like normal. I didnt check the autocal variables as I didnt have the laptop and I only drove the car for a little while. WOT it was ~11.5:1 till the boost came up to 11psi. Then the A/F dipped slowly from around 4000-6000rpms to ~10.1-10.2:1 so I still have some tuning to do.

I attribute the rich top end to the PumpingEfficiency table that was tuned for a friends car that has a slightly modified head, slightly larger intercooler and a slightly larger turbo.

My setup is:

2.5L JE .020" over, stock head, 92TBI roller cam, stock manifolds, stock T2 turbo with .63a/r exhaust housing, mitsu fuso box truck intercooler, 2.25" intercooler piping, 3" TU swingvalve, 3" exhaust - no cat, dynomax ultraflow 6" welded muffler, +40's, 3-bar map, 255lph walbro.

so those with 2.5L's give this cal a shot. depending on how close/far from stock you are, youll prolly have to take some fuel out of the top end. when I get to drive the car again (they salted the roads today so the k-car is away) I'll street tune the fuel up to about 20psi and post the changes.

Comments and opinions welcome. Those with more experience than me, take a look and lemme know if anything should be changed. Thanks

Brian

cordes
12-22-2006, 11:44 PM
That is pretty cool. Glad that you are having sucess with the 2.2 to 2.5 swap. I am thinking about putting a 2.5 in my omni some day, but not this year. Glad to know that there are some others making headway with it.

Aries_Turbo
12-23-2006, 12:02 AM
if I were to do the whole car build again, id do 2.2 for piston strength and a little more revs but the 2.5L serves me well. but with the 87LM setup the ease of a 2.5L cal just wasnt there. im glad that this is turning out as well as it is. I prolly wont get the car out again till spring but when spring hits, i can immediately begin tuning... well after i replace some control arm bushings and add alky for high boost tuning. :)

Brian

cordes
12-23-2006, 12:04 AM
if I were to do the whole car build again, id do 2.2 for piston strength and a little more revs but the 2.5L serves me well. but with the 87LM setup the ease of a 2.5L cal just wasnt there. im glad that this is turning out as well as it is. I prolly wont get the car out again till spring but when spring hits, i can immediately begin tuning... well after i replace some control arm bushings and add alky for high boost tuning. :)

Brian

I can definatly understand what you are saying. The K-car probably moves out pretty well as is since they are so light. I think I will see how my setup this upcoming year does, and go from there.

Aries_Turbo
12-23-2006, 12:14 AM
yeah they are pretty light but still a little heavier than an omni im pretty sure... prolly less than 100lbs though. it spins the tires pretty good into and partially through third. i could use a taller trans but that can wait till later. I got the two door too so they are even lighter. a bit flexible though. it could use some bracing here and there. oh well. projects, projects, project. :)

Brian

Anonymous_User
12-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Amazing work!! Thanks!! There really hasn't been much for a 2.5 cal for an LM. Now there is!!

I pondered the idea of doing this a while back, but just never got around to it.

Thanks for the work, thanks for posting it for all, and thanks for testing properly!

Aries_Turbo
12-23-2006, 01:42 PM
dont speak too soon ;)

I did a cold start a few min ago and it wants some more fuel at startup (its a little cranky till its warm ;)) so I think im going to change to those 2.5L specific cold enrichment a,b,c tables. Im also going to change parts of the pumping efficiency to the 89T1 2.5L peftbs of Rob's as it doesnt add too much fuel on the top end. I may not get to test the top end it till spring but i'll post the changes and someone can see how it works. I will be able to test the cold starts now though as its going to be cold for a while. :)

Brian

Aries_Turbo
12-23-2006, 08:36 PM
here are some changes and updates for those to try. of course, use at your own risk. I havent tested these other than the first one. :)

I used some 87 ColdEnrichmentFuelCurveA, B, and C tables from a friends 2.5L cal and checked it with robs. there were some unit changes between the 87 and 89 that I used so I couldnt just copy them in but I made sure that the shape and the values made some sense.

for the PEFTBL i used the values from Robs but had to graph them in manually as the 87 units and the 89 were different as with the ColdEnrichmentFuelCurves. they should be pretty good. I added a little to each of the higher rpm points for safety and if I get some clean dry salt free roads, ill test them.

happy tuning.

Brian

amcpacer
12-27-2006, 12:11 PM
That is awesome Brian. I have always wanted to make a super hi performance cal for a 2.5. Actually a 2.5 cal with a G-Bathtub-Head would be so awesome. I have the bathtub head on my 2.5 and I cant seem to find anyone that has a good cal. I am quite new to this turbo dodge stuff, perhaps I will start work on a cal based off of your cal.

By the way how did you sign up at moparchem website. The new member signup does not seem to work. I feel left out.

Aries_Turbo
12-27-2006, 06:09 PM
i signed up real soon after geoff remade the site. I dunno how he has the registration setup now. try again.

take a look at an 85 cal to see what the g-head curves look like. there are some on d-cal i think. scale that for a 3-bar map as per moparchem's instructions and then input the values into blueberry either graphically or using a hex editor for the g-head. the hex editor would be the most precise way but manually inputting them as long as you have specific, precise points you work ok too. you adjust them manually anyway as you tune.

Brian

ShelGame
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
That is awesome Brian. I have always wanted to make a super hi performance cal for a 2.5. Actually a 2.5 cal with a G-Bathtub-Head would be so awesome. I have the bathtub head on my 2.5 and I cant seem to find anyone that has a good cal. I am quite new to this turbo dodge stuff, perhaps I will start work on a cal based off of your cal.

By the way how did you sign up at moparchem website. The new member signup does not seem to work. I feel left out.

I've got a couple of cals for G-Headed 2.5's (for SMEC, though - not LM)...

ShelGame
12-27-2006, 09:07 PM
snip...

there were some unit changes between the 87 and 89 that I used so I couldnt just copy them in but I made sure that the shape and the values made some sense.

...snip

There weren't actually any unit changes from year to year. The sensor was always the same and was always scaled the same. The issue is - what's the scale? There's some info out there that says the scale should be -200 to 260F, others that it's -60 to 259F. I don't know which is right. So, if you change the scale in my table files to match Geoffs (-200 to 260), then you should be able to line them up correctly.

Aries_Turbo
12-28-2006, 11:36 AM
yeah thats what I meant.... the person who made the cal set the scale/units and they were different than yours. like 0-100% vs .00-1 for the pumping efficiency table. I guess thats all defined by the table file anyway.

I am somewhat of a newbie at this still. :)

Brian

slasky
12-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Just make sure you get it working up to 27 psi so I can use it on my car.

Aries_Turbo
12-28-2006, 05:09 PM
dont you worry scott. :)

yeah rob, I pulled the cold start from a cal that had the same scale as mine and had the correct values to match that scale.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
01-06-2007, 11:43 PM
g-head spark curves for amcpacer.... note, scaled to +40's.... youll have to scale them down for +20's.

EDIT - I fixed a bunch of stuff to the original attempts of this cal and now have something that starts in the cold well and warms up to operating temperature well. delete all the old versions of this cal that I gave you as it has cold start issues.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
01-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Heres a much better base version of the cal that I was working on. Its set up for +40's and a 3-bar map on a 2.5L Swirl head. See above for the G-head version.

I fixed a bunch of stuff to the original attempts of this cal and now have something that starts in the cold well and warms up to operating temperature well. delete all the old versions of this cal that I gave you as it has cold start issues.

those using it, lemme know how it performs and obviously, tune and increase the boost slowly as I am not responsible for foolish mistakes in getting all excited and cranking the boost as soon as you put the chip in. Use at your own risk. :)

Brian

amcpacer
01-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Thank You Aries_Turbo! I just downloaded your updated 2.5 swirl head cal. Hopefully I will get to flash it to an eprom this weekend. As soon as I get the new turbo installed I will take it for a drive and let you know how it works.

Aries_Turbo
01-25-2007, 09:17 PM
youre welcome. I thought that you wanted a G-head cal?

Brian

amcpacer
01-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Oops sorry I meant to say thank you for that G-Head cal! Yes the G-Head cal is the one I downloaded.

Aries_Turbo
01-26-2007, 11:07 PM
hehe ;) no problem.

Brian

amcpacer
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey Aries_Turbo! I got that G-Head 2.5 Cal from you and installed in my Daytona and have been driving around with it. It had a little difficulty at startup the first time seeming running really really rough. Then after about a minute it ran quite well. Now it starts up easily and drives well. In boost it starts to ping around 7psi (audibly and cel light). Oops the friend I let borrow my car filled the tank with 87 octane. Oh well I gotta wait to use up the tank of gas then before I hook up the computer boost control to try much higher boost.

Well I was just reading back through the posts and found out you scaled it for +40 injectors. I forgot to scale it to +20 ha! Now that is probably why it was so difficult to start the first time and why it pings readily under such low boost.

Thank you for that cal by the way!

Aries_Turbo
02-25-2007, 12:01 AM
youre welcome. :) yeah you need to scale it back lol. :)

also..... you need to overlay my cal with a 87T2 and put the FuelBatteryOffset back to the way it is in the 87 T2 that comes with chem. the ones I have here dont have that revision yet. Geoff realized that FuelBatteryOffset shouldnt be scaled.

Good Luck.

Brian

amcpacer
02-25-2007, 01:06 AM
I just got finished scaling all of these X values by 80.77%.

FuelBaseline (WOTTBL)
FuelIdle (MAPIDL)
FuelPart (MAPTBL)
FuelChangeFromRPMSNoThrottle
StartFuelFromEngineTemp(STRTFL)
StartPrimeFuelShot(PRSHOT)
Table75FromTPS(unknown... but output is pulsewidth)
TransientThrottleEnrich(POSSLP)(very small change)

I went for a drive and the engine has a hesitation any time boost is achieved. It idles great though and part throttle is okay except when throttling up the car bucks a little but then smooths out. Once boost at part throttle is achieved the engine feels weak unless I go WOT then it gets really powerful all of the sudden. Maybe disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it will help this. It is so odd that it works better with the +40 but I may have accidentally double scaled something so that could be why.

I think I need to start over with your cal and scale the "X" values by 80.77 all over again and find out how to overlay the 87TII FuelBatteryOffset.

amcpacer
02-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Wait a minute. Should I have scaled the X values UP instead of down to 80.77% to account for smaller injectors? Or does scaling up actually reduce the fuel because it is changing the range of the scale and not the actual value.

ShelGame
02-25-2007, 09:56 AM
You should scale DOWN for bigger injectors, and UP for smaller injectors. So, you should've scaled the cal by 52/42 = 123.8%...

Aries_Turbo
02-25-2007, 10:12 AM
yeah you needed to make the pulsewidths longer, not shorter.

to overlay, download Chem (if you dont have it... i assume you are using D-cal) and the 87t2 stock cal will be in there.

open the g-head cal in dcal, hit options and load the secondary comparison cal and then look at fuelbatteryoffset and move the points up. its not hard.

Brian

amcpacer
02-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Man that Blueberry43 2.5 G-Head cal is one awesome cal. I scaled the values to 123.8% to make it +20 compatible. Brought the fuelbatteryoffset back to 87TII stock settings.

I still have the 87 octane fuel in there. It is able to boost to 12psi without any CEL flash or knock sounds. What a difference that extra fuel makes. I cant wait to fill it up with 92 and let the computer take control of boost all the way to 18 if possible!

Aries_Turbo
02-25-2007, 10:49 PM
good to hear that its working well so far. i cant wait to test it myself.

Brian

amcpacer
03-15-2007, 03:39 AM
Hi I am still using the Blueberry G-Head 2.5 cal. I have made a few changes to it such as reduce pulsewidth during warm startup to keep the engine from flooding. I still need to give it more fuel above 14psi as it really gets lean around 16psi and lights the CEL. Should I upgrade this cal to the new blueberry 60 and Chem2 before I start to change anything else. It would be like loosing all of the time tuning it if starting over were required.

Aries_Turbo, what tables did you change to differentiate between the swirl cal and the G-Head cal? Did your figures come from the 85 G-Head timing?

This cal is much better than the 86 GLHS stage 2 electronics that I first tried. The fuel economy averages 20mpg city and 29hwy according to the navigator and the throttle response is extremely crisp.

Aries_Turbo
03-15-2007, 03:40 PM
actually I just did port it over to the BB60 version. I'll post it as soon as I can.

yeah I got the timing curves from a cal that was already set up for a g-head and looking at the 85 curves, they were derived from that but are prolly a little aggressive.

ill take a look at the timing curves and compare them to the 85 to see how they differ. it isnt that hard.

i gotta head to the dmv, ill try this tonight.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
http://www.moparchem.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66&p=826#p826

here are the latest versions. im only going to post them in one location so i can manage my files better. i wont post them to the repository till i know the g-head has been tested and the timing is verified as being correct or has been corrected if need be.

Brian

amcpacer
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks Brian! I am heading over to the website right now. EEPROM burner is sitting beside the computer ready to burn it as soon as I scale everything to +20s. I just downloaded chem2.

Aries_Turbo
03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
hehe, lemme know how it turns out. i ran the car on the latest iteration last night and it was a little lean on some spots of the warmup (65-75 degrees) but since i backed down the low rpm timing, it didnt blubber and hunt for RPM. I'll tune those spots later. it runs good enough not to have to for now.

Brian

amcpacer
03-29-2007, 03:02 AM
I need some advice about fine tuning Aries_Turbo's 2.5L BB60 Ghead Cal. When the engine is at full operating temp and I shut off the engine and then re-start it works just fine. The problem is if I accidentally stall the engine like letting out on the clutch too fast. If it stalls while at operating temp it wont start back up unless I press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it while cranking the starter. It is getting flooded when the engine stalls. I have tried removing some injector pulsewidth from STRTFL around 190 degrees and it does not help the problem and makes it difficult to start if it is shut off via the ign key. Is there some table that is just for shut down via stall out?

ShelGame
03-29-2007, 07:50 AM
There's no fuelling changes specifically for engine stall.

But, when you stall an engine, the vac goes pretty high. I'd try this: intentionally stall the engine while watching the vac guage. Then, adjust the "no throttle" fuel table to be zero PW at the stall vac (well, probably a little lower than that just to be safe). I think Brian's cal already has zero PW at ~-13.5psi, so maybe just bump it up to -13psi or so. For reference, if you look at the S60 cal, the no throttle PW is zero up to -12.2psi.

Aries_Turbo
03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
theres an easier method... dont stall it lol ;)

just kidding. when you are done and its running well, can you send me a copy of the cal to comapre?

also, how are those G-head timing curves working out? specifically, how are the EGT's and are you getting any knock?

Brian

amcpacer
03-31-2007, 11:49 PM
That cal is working great except for warm startup after stall. Today I noticed RUNTMP table. In Chem2 it says it adds temp to the coolant temp sensor value after an engine stall. Perhaps this table may be of some use.

I did reduce fuel no throttle to -12.63 psi and it did not seem to stop the flooded condition after stall out but may have helped. This evening I am experimenting with the StartDecayIntoRun by slowly reducing pulsewidth around 180 degrees. I am still working on the transient throttle enrich table and have almost completely got rid of that puff of black smoke when going to WOT quickly.

Brian, I have never seen the EGT go over 1500 F at full throttle lately. The only time I get cel and pinging is when it is very cold and I accelerate at full throttle before the engine has warmed up.

My car may have a bad wastegate solenoid. It is still the stock 86 solenoid. Boost seems to be random. Sometimes I can get 20psi and other times it will only go to 10. This problem was going on before though when I was still running GLHs electronics so it is not related to the cal. A G-Valve would be helpful right now.

What table should I modify to shut off fuel during decel? Is it the FuelLeanoutFactorOffThrottle one? If so should I go up or down on the "y" axis?

Aries_Turbo
04-01-2007, 12:43 AM
i did a little tinkering with that cal again today as I hooked up my wastegate solenoid and changed some values that geoff had set. i wanted less boost at part throttle. I have it set to 10.5 max and the map setpoint at 9.5psi to start messing around to control boost. works well. I do have a little spiking at wot in higher gears but no worse than a grainger. I'll have to see if it learns enough to prevent it.

yeah i dont have that stall problem that you do at all. it might be from the G-head itself. i tried to get the car to create the problem by stalling it but it wouldnt do it.

I pulled back the no throttle fuel to -12.2 (or something close to that) as well just for kicks. no noticible change when driving and letting off the throttle.

I also fooled around with the warmup a,b,c curves and set them to 2.2T2 stock just to see what happens. i had some warmup crankiness with the 2.5L a,b,c curves in there so Im going to try this. I also put the transient throttle back to stock 2.2T2 as a test as well. i gotta wait for a cold morning to see what the effect will be. transient doesnt seem to mind the change. I went for a little spin an hour and a half ago.

actually, at above 2k rpm, you should have no fuel being injected. I know that i sure dont with that cal as verified by my wideband and scanner.

Brian

slasky
04-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Is mine ready to go? My car will be home in a little over a week. God I miss the psht sound from the BOV. I have had to suffer driving my slow SRT4 since November. I have almost forgotten what it is like to drive a fast car.

Aries_Turbo
04-01-2007, 02:00 PM
hehe. yeah scott. i have a version for you. you get a wideband yet?

AMC... I tried putting the A,B,C warmup curves from the 2.2 in there and it seems to be happier. who knew that it wouldnt like the 89 2.5L specific warmup curves. its now a little fatter when it starts up which is nice. less blubbering. so now the only changes from 2.2 are the timing and the main fuel and a little bit of the starting fuel. I guess there are some differences between the SMEC and the LM that keeps me from just popping tables back and forth between them. just a hunch though.

Brian

amcpacer
04-03-2007, 02:08 AM
I am still trying to fix that flooded condition during a hot restart. It is so odd that it only happens after a stall. I tried the previous 2.5 Blueberry that Aries_Turbo posted. The one from Moparchem1. It did not have that problem during a hot restart.

If I try to back off the fuel from StartingFuelFromEngineTemp arond 190 degrees it makes the car difficult to start when it is shut down via the ignition switch. It fires off quickly but stalls after about a half of a second like it is too lean. It does make startup possible sometimes after a stall. I usually get a bit of black smoke if I stall and start back up when engine is at full temp.

I was able to get a lot more power and responsiveness by advancing the timing in MapWarmPart and MapWarmFull from range -9psi to +5map psi to like 27 degrees of advance. It used to be that the car was always gutless when not in boost but not anymore. I may try to advance even further until it pings then I will back off some. It must be that my super low compression ratio loves lots of timing. The cam in my Turbo Z is an 85 turbo slider with the 89 round tooth cam pulley which should be like 4 degrees advanced. Maybe that cam advance likes more ign timing.

Aries_Turbo
04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
did you try changing the warmup curves yet?

yeah I guess the G-head wants even more timing at low boost numbers.

how is everything else?

Brian

amcpacer
04-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Awesome! I adjusted the starting fuel again this time removing even more and it worked. It starts right up after a stall and after shutdown via key. I guess I was too cautious to remove more. Aries_Turbo you have been an incredible help to me!

I gave a little bit more fuel around 50 degrees in the warmup curve. That took away the warmup hesitation.

I am still trying to dial in the timing for more power.

Aries_Turbo
04-04-2007, 05:03 PM
cool. I just did a test yesterday by putting in the 89 2.5L T1 timing curves directly, and backing off the timing a little over 15psi. it works awesome! now it wont be good for you cause its not for a g-head but for a swirl its sweet. now I will admit that i did have it pull 2 degrees of timing in 4th and 3-4 deg in 5th after a few long hard pulls when it shot to 18psi but its not bad at all. pull a deg or two out and ill be all set or just leave it and add alky. :)

I'll have to make sure it is all ok and then ill post it.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
http://www.moparchem.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66&p=959#p959

here is the latest version that I tested yesterday and today. runs AWESOME!

Brian

Aries_Turbo
04-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Update:heres all the work ive done recopied into a fresh BB60 and including a calx file for editing in Chem2

http://www.moparchem.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66&p=1004#p1004

Frank
04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
You should add it to our cal repository here with a nice simple writeup.

Thanks!
Frank

Aries_Turbo
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I will, I just wanted to get it working and tested some before I put it in there.

save for some minor tweaking of the timing of the G-head cal, Im prolly not going to make many updates to these. they are pretty decent and with all setups, they need a little bit of custom tweaking. I think I have it where I want it.

Brian

amcpacer
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Aries_Turbo I cant wait to try out your latest version of the G-Head variant. I have been out of the loop for a while since I am moving out of my dorm room back to an apartment.

Hopefully my computer will be set up soon with eprom burner.

Aries_Turbo
04-18-2007, 05:06 PM
i dont think there is much different than what you are using now, its just that made the changes from a fresh BB60 version so that there would be a calx file for use with ChEM2.

Brian

amcpacer
06-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Hi Brian,

I finally got the daytona running again and have been doing some tuning. Car was down for a while due to the injector wiring harness having crumbling insulation.
I got the BB60 G-Head cal working quite well at 20psi and 91 octane. The only time I get ping now is when I am at WOT 20 psi then when I lift the throttle slightly sometimes it pings momentarily then the boost drops way down to around 12.

EGTs are quite low and 1400 is the highest it ever gets when climbing a hill at part throttle. I think my old GLHS cal had a little bit more power between 7 and 14 psi of boost. It may have been running leaner because it would ping a little with the old setup. I guess this new BB60 code is much safer for my engine.

I will send you my edits for the cal very soon.

Aries_Turbo
06-25-2007, 12:48 PM
thats cool. after 10psi, make the full and the part throttle timing and fuel tables the same and that will take care of the knock on lift.

Brian

amcpacer
07-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Okay,
I got the calibration working perfect! This is after making over 60 modifications to it. I think the EEPROM burner is going to wear out. It has come a long way from the bb60 2.5 G cal that Aries_Turbo sent me.

It is for my 86 Turbo Z with +20 injectors. 2.5L common block engine. With stock un-ported G-Head and stock 85 turbo slider cam. Stock TIII turbocharger with 63A/R exhaust housing and a very very big FMIC. Have been running 92 octane fuel with a little bit of 89 octane also.

Right now it is very powerful and there is no boost lag. I no longer get any CEL flashes and cannot hear any detonation. The only problem with the setup is my clutch (T2-T3 hybrid) seems to slip around 3500rpm when the boost goes over 19psi. Hopefully this calibration will work well for others with a G-headed 2.5. HWY fuel economy is great and I averaged 33mpg on a trip to the coast the other day. City economy was not so good at only 22mpg for some reason. The in dash navigator agreed with my readings at fillup. My only tuning tools were narrowband O2 and EGT and seat of the pants.

Too bad I put so much work into the car because I must sell the Turbo-Z soon because I picked an 85 laser XE with perfect paint and interior. I do not have time for an engine and electronics swap, besides I want to try an intercooled log setup this time around.

Brian please PM me your email so I can send the cal to you and also make it available for download.